Cotto Martinez RBR

A win like that enhances the legacies of Pac and Floyd almost as much as it does Cotto.

Cotto has struggled against Southpaws in the past (most fighters do so it's not a bad thing)....He was doing the chicken dance against Corley and got hit with some bombs against Zab that almost dropped him (Zab basically quit at the end)...

Not to mention the Trout fight when he landed like 2 body punches and looked horrible and Pacquiao (not that kind of southpaw, but still a southpaw)

Its pretty hard to body punch and land a left hook on a Southpaw, but Cotto was doing it with ease tonight which I found shocking and very impressive....He looked extremely good.

I want to see Floyd/Cotto II at 160. Too bad September is probably too quick of a turnaround for Cotto even though he didn't take much damage here. That would be a huge fight, first fight was pretty onesided but Cotto's offense looks great and it would give Floyd an opportunity to win a belt at yet another weightclass.

A win like that enhances the legacies of Pac and Floyd almost as much as it does Cotto.

i think cotto stole mayweather's moment.

i always envisioned floyd as the one beating martinez for a record 5th lineal championship .

looks like im the only one that doesn't feel bad for sergio. Dude thought he was god's gift to boxing, talked a lot of shit before the fight, and then got whooped.

Now I'm gonna wait till I hear him spew excuses that he was injured, ring was slippery, etc etc.

hang em up!

May I guess your country of origin :icon_conf?

BOb said No Way Floyd ever beat Cotto and He wants Cotto back in the ring Dec vs Saul.

Yeah, those guys got bludgeoned into submission. Outside of Trout, Cotto's only shown vulnerability to strong pressure fighters.

Not really....The first Margarito fight was total bullshit because of the plaster and he whooped him in the rematch....Pac tore Cotto up with hand speed and combination punching plus the Southpaw stance of Pac bothered him...Not to mention that was probably the best performance of Pacquiaos career....Take the Pacquiao that fought Marquez in the 3rd fight or the sluggish Pacquiao in the Mosley fight and it may have been a completely different story.

Way to many people on here don't know the value of a fighter just being "on" for that night.....Does anyone actually think the Floyd who fought Baldomir would have dominated Corrales as much as the Floyd that fought Corales?? The Floyd how fought Baldomir and Victoriano Sosa was off and the Floyd who fought Corales and Marquez was on.....Every fighter in boxing has on and off days and to many people on here never take that into account.

Before tonight, it was debatable, but the lineal middleweight title is a feather that not even Tito has in his cap.

I completely agree. I only made that statement with tonight win fully in mind.

Extra weight class title, and looked amazing doing it. Tito was never THE champ at 160 either, he simply had a belt he got in the Tournament, that Hopkins ended up unifying.

Cotto was considered THE champ at the weights he got his titles.

4 titles vs 2. Well maybe 3 vs 2, if one doesnt see Cotto ever as the LEGIT 154 champ. But the other weight, he for sure was.

Cotto's biggest wins have been just as good, if not better and more concrete. And his loses have been comparable.

If Cotto fights Floyd like that he would definitely have a chance to win.

At this elite p4p level ANY fighter can beat ANY fighter....To many people on here act like every fight that Floyd is in is some for gone conclusion when it's really not.....If Floyd has an off night (which has happened before) and THAT Cotto shows up Floyd will be on the canvas.

i just don't want to see the lineal middleweight title in some BS 155 catchweight or something.

I payed $54.00 for this shit!

Same thought here. No undercard and then this shitty, one sided fight!

I was a Martinez fan (assuming he retires after this), but I am a bit pissed that he would present himself in that shape. He and his camp clearly must have known some shit was wrong with him.

Same thought here. No undercard and then this shitty, one sided fight!

I am a Martinez fan, but I am a bit pissed that he would present himself in that shape. He and his camp clearly must have known some shit was wrong with him.

What do you mean "no undercard?" You didn't really watch it ,did you?

I completely agree. I only made that statement with tonight win fully in mind.

Extra weight class title, and looked amazing doing it. Tito was never THE champ at 160 either, he simply had a belt he got in the Tournament, that Hopkins ended up unifying.

Cotto was considered THE champ at the weights he got his titles.

4 titles vs 2. Well maybe 3 vs 2, if one doesnt see Cotto ever as the LEGIT 154 champ. But the other weight, he for sure was.

Cotto's biggest wins have been just as good, if not better and more concrete. And his loses have been comparable.

Hatton was the lineal champion at 140lbs; not Cotto. He was never lineal champ at 147lbs or 154lbs either. This is the first lineal title he's won.

If Cotto fights Floyd like that he would definitely have a chance to win.

At this elite p4p level ANY fighter can beat ANY fighter....To many people on here act like every fight that Floyd is in is some for gone conclusion when it's really not.....If Floyd has an off night (which has happened before) and THAT Cotto shows up Floyd will be on the canvas.

The thing about Floyd is that is his best weapon. Not his speed, reflexes, deceptive power; but his ability to stay relaxed, adapt, and maintain that mental advantage.

He has less mental lapses than any fighter I have ever seen.

I would love to see Cotto rematch him or Manny at this point, at 160, with no catch weight. I mean, they have both fought him before, so what if he put on 2-3 pounds of muscles. He didn't look much bigger, and the weigh in showed that. So why not try to add that to your legacy?

After that potential match up, then maybe the victor of that bout or a series of two bouts and pass the torch to Canelo, or make a big fight with GGG, who hopefully blossoms into a star by that time, in 12-18 months.

Hatton was the lineal champion at 140lbs; not Cotto. He was never lineal champ at 147lbs or 154lbs either. This is the first lineal title he's won.

Well I mentioned 154 might not count.

But he was considered THE champ at 147. I never mentioned lineal. I think he was considered the man, by many, at 147, until Marg took him out.

And now 160.

As for 140, I thought of him as the real man there, not Hatton. Cotto fought much better competition there, outside of Kostya. ANd Hatton moved up after that, and looked awful.

with conflicting promoters, sanctioning bodies, television networks.. I think the term lineal is pretty pointless at this point.

What do you mean "no undercard?" You didn't really watch it ,did you?

Apparently not the same way you did!

All crappy fights in my opinion. Mostly washed up or unskilled fighters. Nothing that I would pay $10 to watch. This whole promotion was not worth of PPV.

Apparently not the same way you did!

All crappy fights in my opinion. Mostly washed up fighters. Nothing that I would pay $10 to watch.

There were 3 UC fights, 2 of them quite good.

Cotto domination... Great call for those that said Cotto.. enjoyable night of fights.. Now I am pulling for the Cin a man

Well I mentioned 154 might not count.

But he was considered THE champ at 147. I never mentioned lineal. I think he was considered the man, by many, at 147, until Marg took him out.

And now 160.

As for 140, I thought of him as the real man there, not Hatton. Cotto fought much better competition there, outside of Kostya. ANd Hatton moved up after that, and looked awful.

I never considered him "the man" at 147lbs. He'd beaten Judah and Mosley, but neither man was considered top dog in the division either. To be honest, there was no argument for Cotto being top dog in the division other than for the period of Floyd's retirement/hiatus.

And Hatton didn't move up permanently immediately after winning the lineal title. He defended his lineal title five times.

Back