Cotto Martinez RBR

Fight 1: Recorded. Did not watch...
Fight 2: When the guy takes the fight on a week's notice and wins it, how good or well prepared could the other fighter (opponent) really had been? The guy that won it ran out of gas half way through the bout and still won! Nice story, but a joke for PPV standards.
Fight 3: Both threw one punch and grabbed. The only knock down was result of a low blow, which the ref did not call. Boring as F. Plus Winfredo comes from a 3 loss streak!
Compare this to Mayweather's undercard!

What do you mean "no undercard?" You didn't really watch it ,did you?

I mean the Andy Lee KO was exciting.

Maciel/Melendez was good.

Sonsona fight was dreadful and made me look forward to Sergio/Miguel even more.

Then I was all excited for a competitive fight only to see a damn near one legged boxer get dominated for 9 rounds.

WASTE OF MONEY!

To be honest, there was no argument for Cotto being top dog in the division other than for the period of Floyd's retirement/hiatus.

Ok, so honestly, you are saying there is an over a year long period where he could be top dog, outside of a handwraps scandal that unfolded soon after? K

As for Hatton, I think their careers have shown who is the better fighter. Back then, I always thought Cotto had better comp in Paulie, Corley, Bailey, Torres, and looked much better against the Mututal opponent. Other than KT

THe moved up at the same time abouts, and Hatton had to move back down for a reason. Cotto didnt. He was obviously the better fighter there, and continued to be so.

So he is at least comparable with Tito at 147 and 154, with his time at 147, and now 160.

Martinez was a shell of himself, sad to say. I still believe Cotto would've given him trouble in other circumstances but you never know.

I mean the Andy Lee KO was exciting.

Maciel/Melendez was good.

Sonsona fight was dreadful and made me look forward to Sergio/Miguel even more.

Then I was all excited for a competitive fight only to see a damn near one legged boxer get dominated for 9 rounds.

WASTE OF MONEY!
Well, I suppose I can see why a Sergio fan didn't enjoy the fight I guess.

I like Cotto and took a fair bit of shit for that pick, so it was pretty satisfying for me to watch.

Well, I suppose I can see why a Sergio fan didn't enjoy the fight I guess.

I like Cotto and took a fair bit of shit for that pick, so it was pretty satisfying for me to watch.

I'm a fan of both, a bigger fan of Cotto actually.

I just thought Martinez would win but that's not the point. The point is I was looking forward to a good competitive fight that if I had to choose winner it would have been Martinez but I just saw a crippled man get beat the hell up for 30 mins.

Ok, so honestly, you are saying there is an over a year long period where he could be top dog, outside of a handwraps scandal that unfolded soon after? K

I'm saying that's the only window you can make any argument for him as top dog at 147lbs.

As for Hatton, I think their careers have shown who is the better fighter. Back then, I always thought Cotto had better comp in Paulie, Corley, Bailey, Torres, and looked much better against the Mututal opponent. Other than KT

THe moved up at the same time abouts, and Hatton had to move back down for a reason. Cotto didnt. He was obviously the better fighter there, and continued to be so.

So he is at least comparable with Tito at 147 and 154, with his time at 147, and now 160.

You can think someone is "the man" if you want - it's nowhere near as big as being lineal champion, in my eyes, as "the man," "top dog" etc are subjective superlatives. Hell, many folk have been proclaiming GGG the best at 160lbs for over a year now. That carries as much weight as Cotto being "the man" at 140lbs when he wasn't lineal champion.

There's only one real World Champion in a division with a lineal champion, and thus is the first time Cotto has held one. I've got no issue with anyone considering him to have achieved more than Tito, but I don't buy the "it was accepted he was the best even when he wasn't the champ" logic.

Segio lied to himself thinking he was ok to fight.

It was the best win in Miguel's career regardless of how Sergio performed.

He beat the brakes off of him in the first. Was looking like PAC vs jmm 1.

Martinez said he never had his legs under him after that.
Great night for boxing and the fans.

Told all of you.

I had Cotto, but not like that. That was a straight beating. I'd be in the money if Sergio wanted to take a slightly longer beating.

Great win for Miguel. Should Canelo get past Lara, that would be a huge fight to make and regardless of any thoughts of Cotto being "re-vitalized" under Roach, which I don't think is the case anyway, he's got to go into that fight the underdog. Can't see him as being durable enough to beat Canelo.

Whether Martinez's knees were fucked from the get go, or as a result of the knockdowns, he should retire now. His punch resistance is questionable and his whole game is based on his movement which has been totally compromised by the injuries. There are no smart fights left for him. He's made enough money and established a decent legacy. He should get out of the sport and pursue other things.

After round 1 I'm surprised he made it that far.

Yeah, I actually missed round 1 because the bar I went to had a fucked line up. I'm not shit talking Martinez saying that he quit or anything, I understand stopping stuff with the beating he took. Cotto has his great day in the sun, now. He fucking deserves it. He has always seemed like a cool guy to me, at least.

That was an entertaining fight! I felt bad for Martinez, it was tough to see him lose like that it was obvious his knee was bothering him he is far past his prime he showed a lot of heart he's a legend. Great win for Cotto, he definitely should get credit for having one of if not the best performance of his career, he's also a legend as well. There are some big fights out there for him.

Congrats to Cotto for the win but Martinez definitely didnt move well at all. His body is basically glass now.

Now we know why DiBella did not want to make the fight with GGG :D

I did not see that coming, I was well off, I thought Sergio would pull a late stoppage or dec.

Back