• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

International Coronavirus Breaking News, v13: Over 21,000 Healthcare Workers From Around The U.S Heading To N.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I hear ya. Stupidity and selfishness.

Drove past a house in our neighborhood with 7 cars in their driveway yesterday. Everyone was inside, the weather sucked. They invited all those people over, and the people showed up. They just don't give a shit.

On the spot fines of $1000 for meetings of more than 2 here now ($5000 for businesses). They named and shamed the first few they handed out as well.

I'll only be encouraged when this thing is completely eradicated. Decreasing numbers don't mean anything to me unless there's tight security. It's going to take a long time to kill every virus particle.

COVID-19 continues to spread as domestic travel restrictions come into effect
Link
OTTAWA — COVID-19 continued its unforgiving march into new areas of the country on Monday, sweeping through long-term care homes and religious communities and into vulnerable regions as the federal government brought in new domestic travel restrictions.

and I think its because theres not a lot of hospitals in Queens. They have the least amount of hospitals per person vs Manhatten and Brooklyn, so that means the people in Elmhurts hospital is probably from Flushing

TBH Elmhurst Hospital was always pretty bad. I was born in St. John's (now closed) which was known to be one of the best hospitals growing up. but Flushing has NY Presbyterian (formerly Booth Memorial), a top 5 hospital, so it more than likely will be the other way around - people from Elmhurst flocking over to Flushing.

I can speak from personal experience, as my father spent a lot of time at NY Presbyterian. they're fucking magnificent.

On the spot fines of $1000 for meetings of more than 2 here now ($5000 for businesses). They named and shamed the first few they handed out as well.

Those fuckers would probably be like a high school drinking party.

"Nobody open the door, it's the FIVE OH!!! Everyone be quiet and pretend nobody is here!"

24,000 Canadian military members ready to respond — if asked — to COVID-19 crisis
https://globalnews.ca/news/6751025/coronavirus-canadian-military-prepared/
The federal government has mobilized 24,000 members of the Canadian Armed Forces — nearly one-quarter of all regular and reserve members — to help provincial and municipal authorities who may need support during the novel coronavirus pandemic with everything from delivering supplies to assisting civilian authorities enforcing quarantine orders.

The severity of the disease on individuals is not caused by various mutated "deadlier" strains that spread along with all the others.

That's not true at all. But they won't say it, it's too soon. It is true for every other coronavirus, it is also true for h1n1 virus also. It is also true for the novel coronavirus, but there is no evidence for it yet.

They make constant phylogenetic studies about the virus and it hasn't mutated that much, which is pretty normal for something that appeared in humans not even six months ago.

Not true either. Who is making the studies? Which parts of the genome are studied? Coronaviruses responsible for seasonal flu mutate at a rate of 2-3 mutations per month. Basic reproduction number of novel coronavirus is much higher than any other flu like coronavirus, it spreads quickly through populations. There's already at least 10 different strains of if GLOBALLY.

Do you have a source that supports your contention that the 8 identified strains have different mortality rates?

There is no source. This is my whole point: At the moment only elderly and already sick people are dying from infection. There are thousands of asymptomatic carriers self quarantined/in social distancing. How the hell You want to find out what's the real mortality rate here? its obvious that whatever strain spreads in hospitals is more deadly than what spreads among mild/nonsymptomatic populations.

Do you have absolutely anything to back this claim up? Reputable sources please

Read about spanish flu history

I'm not following this logic. You want to keep the "milder" strain mobilized but that does nothing for the "lethal" strain that is still doing what it is doing regardless of the SIP.

If You get milder strain NOW, you get immunity for EVERY STRAIN. If we go with "flattening the curve" too far, the disease will come back more deadly. This is a trade off.

So a woman in her 30s who has recovered from breast cancer but has a weakened immune system ends up dying from this virus = natural selection?

Even though without this virus the woman would have most likely lived until atleast 70.

tumblr_mltaieFVE81rncbh7o1_400.gif

I was talking about the virus natural selection, you goofball.

Two months supply: Global shortage of condoms as COVID-19 pandemic hits world's biggest producer
https://nationalpost.com/news/world...-worlds-biggest-producers?video_autoplay=true

Here comes the aids epidemic!

7 potential lingering effects of COVID-19 on the economy: Don Pittis
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/7-...-covid-19-on-the-economy-don-pittis-1.5512872

'We will deliver right to the border': B.C. town vows to look after U.S. neighbours in pandemic
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/stewart-hyder-covid-19-border-closure-1.5513395
Residents of a small B.C. border town have pledged to help their Alaskan neighbours during the COVID-19 crisis, although the border between Canada and the United States is closed to non-essential travel.

Man, his reaction kinda got to me.

Virginia issued a stay at home order til June 10th.
Wow, June 10th? That seems prematurely... excessive. It's not a full lockdown right?

Last edited:
The strict social distancing guidelines, the closure of schools, bars, restaurants, et cetera, in the Netherlands, likely to remain in effect at least till the end of April, or the beginning of May.

Not true either. Who is making the studies? Which parts of the genome are studied? Coronaviruses responsible for seasonal flu mutate at a rate of 2-3 mutations per month. Basic reproduction number of novel coronavirus is much higher than any other flu like coronavirus, it spreads quickly through populations. There's already at least 10 different strains of if GLOBALLY.

They study the whole genome and compare it with dedicated tools like PhyML, research teams are publishing here for instance. 2-3 mutations per month is nothing for a virus that has around 30000 nucleotides. The strains are based on small differences that help track down how the virus spread : if a specific mutation appears, all the other virus with that mutation came from that specific case. But let's be clear, those differences and mutations most often don't have any impact on the "strength" of the virus.

its obvious that whatever strain spreads in hospitals is more deadly than what spreads among mild/nonsymptomatic populations.

That's 100% false.

Man, his reaction kinda got to me.

Wow, June 10th? That seems prematurely... excessive. Isn't not a full lockdown right?

https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/...ov-northam-issues-stay-at-home-order/2258486/

Super excessive IMO. This is what happens with the pendulum swinging to both sides of extreme. Pray to god it doesn't happen in TN. This will have a terrible effect on Virginians mental health, especially for the people who were already following the guidelines of staying home on their own.

https://www.cambridgeindependent.co...we-know-and-dont-know-about-covid-19-9104220/

Not sure if this was already posted, but I found this to be quite interesting. Whole read is actually.
Can you relapse after recovering from the virus?

That doesn’t happen with these respiratory viruses. The symptoms that drag on are your body’s response to the virus, but the virus is gone after a few days. I take great umbrage at the lengths of time you are meant to be infectious for because it is just not true. Nine days is nonsense. You don’t excrete a live virus that long.

Those studies are not checking for live virus, they are checking for genome. They do something called a PCR test (polymerase chain reaction), which is the test we are using to diagnose patients. It doesn’t tell you that you have live virus in your nose, it tells you have had it. For about 72 hours of a viral infection you have a live virus. In children it can last for longer – four or five days have been observed in flu.

So, there’s a big difference between how long we can detect the virus and how long they can infect someone else. With this coronavirus the only way you can say, yes, they are still shedding live virus - which is the only thing that will infect someone else, is if you take that sample from the patient and extract it and put it on tissue culture cells and then see it growing. That is done very rarely. There are not a lot of studies that look at live viruses. It is very easy to do PCR tests. It is harder to do live virus studies.

How long are people contagious before symptoms appear?

The likelihood is up to 48 hours before. The symptoms are your body’s response to the virus. This is what is called an acute virus, so its way of dodging your immune system is to get into the upper respiratory tract and get through the epithelial cells into your system and replicate like mad.

The way these viruses have evolved and the way your body responds is an acute inflammatory reaction, so lots of histamine and something called cytokines are produced that ramp up your immune response. One of the first things to appear is that temperature, because the virus is affecting a big area - your whole upper respiratory tract. You get a big cytokine response, your temperature shoots up and you feel horrible.

With this novel virus you get a dry cough form. That initial irritation and the cough is what the virus has evolved to produce. That cough is what sends the virus onto its next host. What we think of as the cold or the cough is actually your body’s response to the infection in the cells. These symptoms last much longer than the virus is live.

For whatever reason, the common colds, which are also a type of coronavirus, don’t cause this same response.

Influenza always does. Influenza also causes pandemics because something about that virus causes a larger immune response.

Two months supply: Global shortage of condoms as COVID-19 pandemic hits world's biggest producer
https://nationalpost.com/news/world...-worlds-biggest-producers?video_autoplay=true

Here comes the aids epidemic!

7 potential lingering effects of COVID-19 on the economy: Don Pittis
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/7-...-covid-19-on-the-economy-don-pittis-1.5512872

'We will deliver right to the border': B.C. town vows to look after U.S. neighbours in pandemic
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/stewart-hyder-covid-19-border-closure-1.5513395
Residents of a small B.C. border town have pledged to help their Alaskan neighbours during the COVID-19 crisis, although the border between Canada and the United States is closed to non-essential travel.

I like the top user comment from the National Post article:

"Trudeau likes it bareback from the UN..."

<Lmaoo><Lmaoo><Lmaoo>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back