International Coronavirus Breaking News, v13: Over 21,000 Healthcare Workers From Around The U.S Heading To N.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're welcome. Transparency is extremely important from all governments. Now more than ever.
Funny coincidence. My wife just brought up the situation in Japan, where Abe and his government are tightly controlling the narrative and downplaying the situation a great deal. COVID-19 news isn't even a front page headline in a newsletter she receives from there. Abe's been dragging his feet for no reason I can understand at all. He needs to go.

You would remember if Italy had its hospitals over run in 2009. It would have been on every major news site.
<seedat>
I see what you did there but the numbers from there suggesting they were not overrun. So they were either lying then or lying now idk.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-...nt-john-test-centre-horizon-reardon-1.5508918

Saint John back to single COVID-19 testing centre after 2nd site quietly closes
Social Sharing
  • Bobbi-Jean MacKinnon · CBC News · Posted: Mar 25, 2020 9:11 AM AT | Last Updated: 2 hours ago

hope-wellness-centre-covid-19-testing-centre-4347-loch-lomond-rd.jpg

The COVID-19 testing centre that opened last weekend at Saint John's HOPE Wellness Centre at 4347 Loch Lomond Rd., is now the only one operating in the city. (Horizon Health Network)
    Saint John is back to a single COVID-19 testing centre after the Horizon Health Network closed two other locations in the past week, causing growing confusion and concern for some residents.

The only assessment centre operating now is the one located at the HOPE Wellness Centre on Loch Lomond Road on the city's east side, confirmed Horizon's vice-president of community, Jean Daigle.

"Moving forward, this location will serve as the screening and testing hub for the Saint John area and will be open daily by appointment only," he said in an emailed statement.

The testing centre located at the North End Wellness Centre on Victoria Street stopped accepting referrals on Monday afternoon, said Daigle.

It had been set up just days earlier to replace the one that abruptly shut down at Exhibition Park in east Saint John on March 17.
    Coun. Donna Reardon, who previously raised concerns about the testing centre being set up in the low-income north end neighbourhood, called the decision to close the site "upsetting."

"It appears that [Saint John] has no firm plan to deal with the testing that will be required," she said in an email.

Horizon's decision to close the north end site comes as New Brunswick's chief medical officer Dr. Jennifer Russell announced plans Tuesday to "increase the pace of COVID-19 testing, to effectively identify those who may have the disease, those who have been in contact with suspected cases, and those who are most vulnerable to its effects."

donna-reardon.jpg

Saint John Coun. Donna Reardon said she has 'no idea what's going on' with the city's COVID-19 testing centre. (CBC)
    As of Tuesday afternoon, there are 18 confirmed cases of the viral infection in the province, including two patients who have required hospitalization.

Although all of the cases are related to international travel or close contacts to a confirmed case that has travelled outside the province, Public Health has started testing people with symptoms and no connection to travel, looking for cases of community transmission, said Russell.

People entering New Brunswick from another province must also now self-isolate for 14 days, she said.

covid-19-map-march-24.jpg

There are 18 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in New Brunswick after a new case was announced on Tuesday in Zone 1, the southeastern part of the province. (CBC)
    Daigle did not offer any explanation for the decision to close the north end screening centre and no one else from Horizon was available to comment Tuesday.

He did say the HOPE Wellness Centre at 4347 Loch Lomond Rd., "has the capacity to better handle the number of people being referred for COVID-19 screening and testing, in addition to the access to technology, equipment and staffing resources required to operate the centre."

Horizon is closely monitoring the number of referrals and will use that data to determine whether additional sites are needed, he added.

north-end-wellness-clinic.jpg

The COVID-19 testing centre at Saint John's North End Wellness Centre on Victoria Street closed Monday after less than a week. (Connell Smith/CBC)
    Reardon isn't convinced. She said the bewildering opening and then closing of the other two locations "instills a lack of confidence in the decision makers for [Saint John].

"Every place else seems to be up and running," she said.

Daigle had previously said Saint John's testing centre was moved from the east side exhibition grounds to the north end residential neighbourhood in part to "provide a more central, accessible location to the most vulnerable segments of the city's population."

The north end location allowed for "more immediate access to the technology, equipment, staffing and other resources required to operate the centre," he had said.

Doesn't seem to make much sense. Why go through all the effort to get these sites up and running, only to close them a few days later? @Clippy

Stanford has confirmed that N95 masks can be sterilised at 70C and safely reused, which may help ease supply issues for frontline workers.

No. He'd be calling it the plague from revelations
id love to know if he still attending church, if he wasnt a troll, he was a total religous nut, wonder if he trusted jeebus to keep him safe..

I hope so. I don't have a lot of faith in government to move quickly on most anything. Hopefully they can get it done by then.

Funny coincidence. My wife just brought up the situation in Japan, where Abe and his government are tightly controlling the narrative and downplaying the situation a great deal. COVID-19 news isn't even a front page headline in a newsletter she receives from there. Abe's been dragging his feet for no reason I can understand at all. He needs to go.

Many of us were tossing around the idea that they were doing everything they could to salvage the Olympics. With the Olympics now being officially postponed, we will see if the narrative changes.

Mucus is the enemy. We need a fast way to remove all mucus from our bodies

Its always been the enemy. When people quote the number 60,000 when referring to flu deaths, almost every single one of them was due to pneumonia, same as C-19. Its pneumonia that's the real killer, not flu and not C-19.

Stanford has confirmed that N95 masks can be sterilised at 70C and safely reused, which may help ease supply issues for frontline workers.

Link article? Can I put mine in my oven at 160F and not light it on fire but kill all bugs and viruses?

inb4 Sherdoger makes headlines burning house down putting paper in oven cause internet told him to

Italy is lying now? Are you drunk?
Reading comprehension isn’t a strong suit with you is it. You are the one suggesting the media had an effect on the response to Italy now.

Yes, in Toronto for the TTC. My thoughts are that public transit needs to be up and running. Is it safe? Of course not. But all of these people doing truly essential jobs need to get to and from work. They're in danger and so are we.

For sure the biggest problem is the buses getting crowded. I haven't been on a subway in the last couple weeks so I don't know how congested they are currently. The buses are mostly pretty empty but on my bus on Monday there were several times where it was pretty full - not how it would be in normal circumstances, but enough that it was impossible for passengers to maintain proper distance. I remember looking at it and thinking, wtf is the point of all the measures we take all day if we end up packed together on a bus like this?

Our union and TTC are scrambling day by day and hour by hour to figure things out. On Monday they had us stop handing out transfers, then around 7 PM they sent a message saying to only board passengers through the back doors unless the person is in a mobility device. We're now allowed to wear masks. So that's where we're at right now. Like that union rep from Halifax said, the biggest problem is people taking transit who probably shouldn't. But how the heck would we enforce that? On Monday I was cussing people out who looked like they had no business being out there. It's very, very stressful to be working under these conditions. But how stressful could it be compared to healthcare workers right now, or someone working at a grocery store? Keep in mind that at TTC anyway (not sure about smaller cities or transit systems around Canada) we get paid a living wage. My heart bleeds for someone making a pittance at No Frills or Timmies or somewhere. If they can work through this then so can we. I just don't know what further steps can be taken to ensure the safety of the operators and the passengers, because the whole situation is fucked.

I'd also like to add that there is a lot of talk about reducing service. On Monday they pulled the express buses off the line and instead of sending the drivers home had them sit around the division for some bogus "training", which had the drivers all pissed. I get that it isn't a good look to have empty buses driving around. It's bad for the environment. But if we start reducing buses, that bus with 4 people on it might now have 15. And at 5:30 PM it might have 30 or 40. I wanna see buses with only a couple people so that they're spread out as for as possible. A TTC operator (subway) tested positive yesterday so we'll see what the next step is.

Yes, in Toronto for the TTC. My thoughts are that public transit needs to be up and running. Is it safe? Of course not. But all of these people doing truly essential jobs need to get to and from work. They're in danger and so are we.

For sure the biggest problem is the buses getting crowded. I haven't been on a subway in the last couple weeks so I don't know how congested they are currently. The buses are mostly pretty empty but on my bus on Monday there were several times where it was pretty full - not how it would be in normal circumstances, but enough that it was impossible for passengers to maintain proper distance. I remember looking at it and thinking, wtf is the point of all the measures we take all day if we end up packed together on a bus like this?

Our union and TTC are scrambling day by day and hour by hour to figure things out. On Monday they had us stop handing out transfers, then around 7 PM they sent a message saying to only board passengers through the back doors unless the person is in a mobility device. We're now allowed to wear masks. So that's where we're at right now. Like that union rep from Halifax said, the biggest problem is people taking transit who probably shouldn't. But how the heck would we enforce that? On Monday I was cussing people out who looked like they had no business being out there. It's very, very stressful to be working under these conditions. But how stressful could it be compared to healthcare workers right now, or someone working at a grocery store? Keep in mind that at TTC anyway (not sure about smaller cities or transit systems around Canada) we get paid a living wage. My heart bleeds for someone making a pittance at No Frills or Timmies or somewhere. If they can work through this then so can we. I just don't know what further steps can be taken to ensure the safety of the operators and the passengers, because the whole situation is fucked.

Thanks for your input. I for one, would like to applaud your efforts and thank you for your work because as you said it is essential for some to get to work.

I can't get over the fact you are allowed to wear a mask. Doesn't make sense to me.

I also want to applaud all of those who are out there trying to keep things running, especially all of those that are doing it for pittance. They all deserve a big bonus.

Wish you the best man.

Man, if the Atlanta healthcare system gets overwhelmed, I just don't know...

We need state leaders who will look at the data and heed the advice/suggestions of the medical professionals. The economy WILL rebound. We just may have to go through SOME hardship, but that's what the relief package is for.

To help us through.

Link article? Can I put mine in my oven at 160F and not light it on fire but kill all bugs and viruses?

inb4 Sherdoger makes headlines burning house down putting paper in oven cause internet told him to

I laughed out loud but in all seriousness most of us don't have access to a steaming device. Here's what I do with mine, obviously not saying it is proper or if it is even effective. After wearing it I put it in direct sunlight for a couple of days then mist it with 30ppm of colloidal silver.

We are rarely leaving the house and I have quite a few masks, so I don't really have the need to reuse at this point but am doing so anyway because they are only averaging around an hour of use per mask.

Thanks for your input. I for one, would like to applaud your efforts and thank you for your work because as you said it is essential for some to get to work.

I can't get over the fact you are allowed to wear a mask. Doesn't make sense to me.

I also want to applaud all of those who are out there trying to keep things running, especially all of those that are doing it for pittance. They all deserve a big bonus.

Wish you the best man.

Thanks bro. I don't know if my efforts need applause or whatever, I'm no hero out here. In fact last week I was scheming on ways to get out of working while still getting paid, and I took 4 days off sick after our union had wrangled a concession out of the TTC to allow us to take up to 5 days off sick without a note (normally we need a note even if we take 1 day). Kind of sleazy to be sure but my main concern is for my newborn son. In the end I went back to work because I shouldn't take for granted that I actually have a job here while so many are out of work. I'm probably gonna be helping out family members in addition to whatever else so I'm grateful that I have a job that in theory is recession proof.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back