International Coronavirus Breaking News, v13: Over 21,000 Healthcare Workers From Around The U.S Heading To N.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many of us were tossing around the idea that they were doing everything they could to salvage the Olympics. With the Olympics now being officially postponed, we will see if the narrative changes.
He's more interested in looking pretty for the cameras, I think, but I hope it does actually turn out they take swift action now. I suspect they might still drag their feet out of fear of people finding out how botched the government response has been thus far. With nothing coming from the national government, the governor of Tokyo came out and requested that people not go out on the weekend.

What will it be like in 3 weeks?

And they deserve every bit of it. I feel so terrible right now, seeing my wife get up and go to work everday, stressed and havjng the burden of knowing she is now the only income fornour family. I wish more than anything I could take her place.

All the people who are still going out doing what they can, no matter how small, certainly have my respect.
Well said, I must say I never really noticed you as a poster here much before this tragic event but you are definitely someone I find myself aligned with. I wish you and your family the best health and economic recovery.

A good buddy of mine does By-Law enforcement in Toronto. The exact same thing is coming there shortly. Too many people not listening.

I doubt that very many tickets will actually be written, I would like to imagine that for most people it would just be a matter of "hey guys you shouldn't be out here" type thing. But who knows, there are a lot of fuckin idiots out there.

We went for a drive around Toronto yesterday, my wife hasn't been out except to walk around the nieghbourhood so she wanted to see what it's like out there. We didn't really see too many "covidiots" out there, the most egregious thing we saw was probably kids playing basketball. It's crazy driving down Yonge st and seeing almost all of the businesses closed. But there are enough people walking on the streets (and plenty of cars) to keep it from looking totally surreal or dystopian. Take a closer look at the people walking however and you'll notice that it's either people by themselves or couples, maybe a family with kids. You don't see groups of friends walking around together. So many people wearing masks, in fact it's almost impossible to see an Asian on the street without one, and every one else is starting to catch up. Today is supposed to be a nice day though and I have a feeling that some people will try to push their luck. We're planning on going for a nice long walk today but we'll stay away from parks.

I doubt that very many tickets will actually be written, I would like to imagine that for most people it would just be a matter of "hey guys you shouldn't be out here" type thing. But who knows, there are a lot of fuckin idiots out there.

We went for a drive around Toronto yesterday, my wife hasn't been out except to walk around the nieghbourhood so she wanted to see what it's like out there. We didn't really see too many "covidiots" out there, the most egregious thing we saw was probably kids playing basketball. It's crazy driving down Yonge st and seeing almost all of the businesses closed. But there are enough people walking on the streets (and plenty of cars) to keep it from looking totally surreal or dystopian. Take a closer look at the people walking however and you'll notice that it's either people by themselves or couples, maybe a family with kids. You don't see groups of friends walking around together. So many people wearing masks, in fact it's almost impossible to see an Asian on the street without one, and every one else is starting to catch up. Today is supposed to be a nice day though and I have a feeling that some people will try to push their luck. We're planning on going for a nice long walk today but we'll stay away from parks.
The only tickets I foresee being written are against businesses violating closure orders. For the public it will be education first.

Well said, I must say I never really noticed you as a poster here much before this tragic event but you are definitely someone I find myself aligned with. I wish you and your family the best health and economic recovery.

Thank you my friend. I really didn't post much for the last several years. I quietly read from the sidelines and didn't bother interjecting because I didn't believe I had anything to offer. Mainly because I really dislike partisan nonsense.

With this event, I felt that I could at least be somewhat productive in trying to get people to look at it and take it seriously.

I wish you and your family all the best as well.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...-as-lockdowns-extend-around-globe/ar-BB11GKo3

Coronavirus death toll in Spain overtakes China as lockdowns extend around globe
Ashifa Kassam in Madrid 3 hrs ago
6-7 minutes
The death toll in Spain has overtaken that in China, climbing to 3,434 and sitting behind only Italy, in a pandemic that has left about 20% of the world’s population living under lockdown.

After more than a week in lockdown, Spain has emerged as one of Europe’s hardest-hit countries, with 738 lives claimed in the past 24 hours. Italy remains the centre of the crisis with a total of 6,820 deaths – more than double the 3,285 deaths documented in Hubei, China.

In Spain, healthcare workers account for nearly 14% of the country’s 39,673 cases, officials say. Amid reports of overwhelmed emergency wards, doctors and nurses have complained of a lack of basic protective equipment that has forced them to ration crucial supplies and craft protective shields out of plastic bags.

Two unions representing doctors have filed lawsuits aimed at forcing the regional health authority and the Spanish government to deliver scrubs, masks and goggles to hospitals and other health centres.

Nato said on Tuesday that Spain had asked it for medical supplies, requesting items including 450,000 respirators, 500,000 testing kits and 1.5m surgical masks.

Germany and France have faced criticism over export bans on products such as masks and goggles. The EU is expected to sign off on a “more ambitious and wide-ranging crisis management system” that will include a plea for the lifting of such bans.

Around the world, the number of confirmed coronavirus cases has climbed to more than 423,000. The latest confirmed cases include Prince Charles, who was showing mild symptoms, according to a spokesperson for Clarence House.

The true number of Covid-19 cases around the globe is likely to be much higher. Officials in Spanish regions such as Madrid and Catalonia initially dealt with a shortage of testing resources by asking people with mild symptoms to simply self-isolate, while Italy’s top coronavirus response official, Angelo Borrelli, has suggested the real number of infections there is probably 10 times higher than the official count.

In Ireland, the national public health emergency team announced on Tuesday that coronavirus testing criteria had been changed to prioritise people showing at least two symptoms, in response to a backlog of 40,000 cases awaiting testing.

Around the world, coronavirus has claimed more than 18,000 lives and ushered in a spate of emergency measures.

e151e5.gif
© Provided by The Guardian Police officers check people coming back from a shopping trip in the village of Herculaneum, Italy. (Ciro de Luca/Reuters)
The accelerating pandemic – it took 67 days to reach the first 100,000 cases and four days to hit the latest 100,000, according to the World Health Organization – has led to an estimated 1.7 billion people being ordered to remain at home.

I hate when China is used as a metric because they are full of shit. A grim number regardless. Praying for Spain.

I don't get it. Are they implying we should give blank checks to every scientist doing anything related to Coronavirus? That's silly. If you think you can make a contribution, write it up and submit it. That's not a waste of time at all. The grant process is one of the only bits of oversight there is in academic research. These professors aren't project managers or businessmen. They often times have meandering interests, half-baked ideas, and grossly misuse funds. Someone has to force them to come up with coherent projects and stick to budget.

I don't have a ton of personal experience to go on when it comes to Bandung, so I just messaged my girlfriend and her reply was "Of course!"

;)

I texted my girlfriend as well, but my wife got pissed.

Denmark

1724 positive
34 dead

Bit of a bombshell today: Our legal system is notoriously lenient to say the least, but today Danish government has proposed harder sentences for any 'corona-related crime' - a double up of punishment to be exact. It is expected to pass, and come into effect from Tuesday next week!

Not quite Punjabi Justice, but a big step in the right direction, imo.

I've learned more about what things are like in other countries on these threads than from any official journalism. Thanks, everybody.

*And, as an American, my geography has definitely improved

I really hope they include the Punjabi Justice footage in that future Oscar-winning COVID-19 documentary, I realy do! <45>

Poor @Wadtucket gonna be triggered so much to see how the civil liberties of Indian curfew-breakers are being trampled upon by this very public display of authoritarianism <Lmaoo>

Those videos are hilarious, keep em up

I don't give a frick about Indian civil liberties, I don't even know if they have them

USA (best country) has a constitution though, and if they did that here I'd be triggered and probably be interested in defending my God given liberties using 2nd amendment

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/worl...-as-lockdowns-extend-around-globe/ar-BB11GKo3

I hate when China is used as a metric because they are full of shit. A grim number regardless. Praying for Spain.
The problem is countries aren't testing properly in the West. We're not even bothering to test people unless they need to be hospitalized due to shortage of test kits. While China's published numbers are likely underestimates, they sadly might be the most accurate out of all because of their aggressive testing and widespread checks.

Herd immunity and vaccines while doing the best you can to isolate high risk groups.

More importantly, you don't cut your arm off when you got a sore fingernail, so we need to keep the world economy intact

What's your cut off number of elderly you are willing to sacrifice in the name of money? Is it a million? 10 million? At what point are you willing to quarantine?

Holy shit, last to post on Wednesday, first to post when it comes back up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back