Core work-outs make a difference...

PariahCarey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
...I added a day to my program where i train my just my core specifically after reading Entrophy's response to that hernia thread (goes to show how silly i was to throw down with the Eman.)
-all my lifts have gotten easier
-i feel more explosive in my jkd work-outs
-my breathing feels stronger (i'm not sure if this is accurate or just when i breath i feel the now developed ab muscles as i breath)

So in terms of strength here it is

Pull-dumbell powercleans, dumbell rows, dumbell curls, resistance band deadlifts (anyone have any suitable alternatives i'm willing to listen,i train in my studio apartment and don't have a barbell)

Core- saxon bends, sidelifts, one arm dumbell side bend, and experimenting with various rotation and twisting movements with the resistance band, shouldering of sandbag

Legs- lunges, sandbag squat, attempting to do pistols, getting closer to gettting it

Push-dumbell bench, overhead dumbell press, tate press (just added)

This takes me 8-10 days to fin this cycle, with various JKD, tabbatta work-outs thrown in here and there. I have an airdyne that i go on for several minutes (just building up) after each strength work-out.

To think i never trained the core and thought the abs were just the box in front. I am back up to 276lbs at 5'10. My bodyfat is hard to measure because my waist has espanded due ot the core training so now i just guesstimate by lookiing at how fat my face is but hopefuly i'll post a pic in the next couple of months.

I haven't quite given up HIT style altogether because it is kind of a lazy's mans way of staying big (for example i'll pause with the sandbag for 10 seconds sometimes just to light up my legs), and i'm a bit of a lazy bastard at times. But for the most part its compound now all the way and my performance has improved tremendously. I learn alot here on sherdog and am grateful for everyones input.

Glad to hear that. Many people think you can prevernt lower back and ab injuries by simply wearing a belt. They forget the most basic thing, strengthen your core

I'm a newbie, but right off the bat I wanted to focus on core with Saxon Side Bends and Windmills and stuff. I like the idea of having a strong center that can hopefully protect my vitals. I like the idea of neck work too.

PariahCarey said:
...I added a day to my program where i train my just my core specifically after reading Entrophy's response to that hernia thread (goes to show how silly i was to throw down with the Eman.)
-all my lifts have gotten easier
-i feel more explosive in my jkd work-outs
-my breathing feels stronger (i'm not sure if this is accurate or just when i breath i feel the now developed ab muscles as i breath)

So in terms of strength here it is

Pull-dumbell powercleans, dumbell rows, dumbell curls, resistance band deadlifts (anyone have any suitable alternatives i'm willing to listen,i train in my studio apartment and don't have a barbell)

Core- saxon bends, sidelifts, one arm dumbell side bend, and experimenting with various rotation and twisting movements with the resistance band, shouldering of sandbag

Legs- lunges, sandbag squat, attempting to do pistols, getting closer to gettting it

Push-dumbell bench, overhead dumbell press, tate press (just added)

This takes me 8-10 days to fin this cycle, with various JKD, tabbatta work-outs thrown in here and there. I have an airdyne that i go on for several minutes (just building up) after each strength work-out.

To think i never trained the core and thought the abs were just the box in front. I am back up to 276lbs at 5'10. My bodyfat is hard to measure because my waist has espanded due ot the core training so now i just guesstimate by lookiing at how fat my face is but hopefuly i'll post a pic in the next couple of months.

I haven't quite given up HIT style altogether because it is kind of a lazy's mans way of staying big (for example i'll pause with the sandbag for 10 seconds sometimes just to light up my legs), and i'm a bit of a lazy bastard at times. But for the most part its compound now all the way and my performance has improved tremendously. I learn alot here on sherdog and am grateful for everyones input.

Ever try out cable crossovers?

Foulsmeller said:
Cable crossovers? You're kidding right?
Cable wood chops I MEANT!!!!!

Honest mistake.

Holy crack....

When you say core, does that include hip strength? I have heard that is part of the essential 'core'.
If so, how do you strengthen these muscles?

tinker_190 said:
When you say core, does that include hip strength? I have heard that is part of the essential 'core'.
If so, how do you strengthen these muscles?

I would think that the hips are well taken care of during lunges,squats, powercleans, DL...

Planks
ab wheel rollouts (from knees for beginners, from feet when ready)
Russian twists
Flutter kicks (4 counts)

PariahCarey said:
Whats a cable wood chop?

someone will find a link, but its basically when your in the cable machine and you keep your body straight. You grab a pulley with both arms at your top right and bring it down with arms locked to your bottom left and visa versa (almost like swinging a golf club). You also do it from bottom right to top left and bottom left to top right)

bacon said:
Planks
ab wheel rollouts (from knees for beginners, from feet when ready)
Russian twists
Flutter kicks (4 counts)
I despise flutter kicks. Your hips/core will definatly pay for these. A great exercise but I still hate them with a passion.

Ian1983 said:
someone will find a link, but its basically when your in the cable machine and you keep your body straight. You grab a pulley with both arms at your top right and bring it down with arms locked to your bottom left and visa versa (almost like swinging a golf club). You also do it from bottom right to top left and bottom left to top right)
Thanks.

Watch Rocky (3?) when he's training in Russia. A lot of people lie on a bench and do leg raises, but if you do them the way Sly does, your core will never be the same.

Get on a crunch-type ab bench and lower the foot holder pad as far as it will go. Lay w/ your feet hanging off the edge, and reach back to grab underneath the leg pads w/ both hands. Now, crunch your legs up to your chest, lift up on your shoulders and point your feet to the sky. From your shoulders to your toes, your body should be pin straight. Try to maintain this posture and begin to lower your legs back towards the bench. If you are new to this, you probably won't be able to go down very far, but eventually, you'll get to where you can hover your butt just above the bench (and hold it) while resting only on your shoulders and keeping your body stiff. Repeat for reps. That's my personal fave.

rickdog said:
I despise flutter kicks. Your hips/core will definatly pay for these. A great exercise but I still hate them with a passion.

I discovered these little gems in basic training. About halfway through basic training, they ask if anyone wants to try out for the para-rescue/combat controllers (like the AF version of the seals). A couple guys in my flight tried out, none of them made it past the flutter kick requiremet. Apparently you had to do 40 (4 count) flutters and the guys watching you wouldn't count if your leg didn't get vertical. Try these at home if you like, but prepare to feel it the next day. Great for hips and lower abs.

bacon said:
I discovered these little gems in basic training. About halfway through basic training, they ask if anyone wants to try out for the para-rescue/combat controllers (like the AF version of the seals). A couple guys in my flight tried out, none of them made it past the flutter kick requiremet. Apparently you had to do 40 (4 count) flutters and the guys watching you wouldn't count if your leg didn't get vertical. Try these at home if you like, but prepare to feel it the next day. Great for hips and lower abs.

Interesting stuff but is 40 4 count a good way to train the core for explosiveness. Entrophy seemed to say that doing exercises for the core should be done with heavy weight and lower reps contrary to popular belief...

Ian1983 said:
Yeah, it's like that power coil band exercise that was posted.

PariahCarey said:
I would think that the hips are well taken care of during lunges,squats, powercleans, DL...
Oh, hell yeah, more than enough.

The main thing I noticed when I started training my core specifically before my main lifting, Pariah, was that my agility and quickness went through the roof (that combined with my kickboxing training).

My friends on the basketball court said they noticed it right away. I found it suddenly very easy to get by guys under 6 feet, when that had always been my weakness, despite the explosiveness in my legs (for the vertical jump).

PariahCarey said:
Interesting stuff but is 40 4 count a good way to train the core for explosiveness. Entrophy seemed to say that doing exercises for the core should be done with heavy weight and lower reps contrary to popular belief...

I think they (Air Force Para-rescue/Combat Controllers) were looking for endurance. I heard the swim test was even worse than the flutter kick requirement.

Back