Cop tries to serve and protect by brake checking civilian with dash cam

I think this thread shows how wide ranging we are on this specific topic

others think its not close to tailgating, I think it is b/c I don't drive like that at all. I do, however, see others doing this same thing (not literally riding someone's ass, but too close IMO) all day every day so maybe I'm the weird one?

I am also the master, if someone is riding my ass, of doing the textbook, ultra slow and precise turn as averse to a brake check to piss off the guy behind me.

The 3 sec rule of thumb for maintaining a safe following distance is exactly what it is, a rule of thumb. If you ever drove in a large city you will figure out pretty fast that nobody does this. How often do you see people in a busy city drive 6+ cars apart going 70+mph? It just doesn't happen.

Tailgating laws are hard to enforce and most states will never make a clear law regarding it. In my state tailgating laws are loosely written and will leave it to the police officers discretion. The problem with discretion is that not all police officers will make a sound judgment. The police officer in this video is a good example.

Here is what a tailgating law looks like:

The driver of a motor vehicle shall not follow another vehicle more closely than is reasonable and prudent, having due regard for the speed of such vehicle and the traffic upon, and the condition of, the roadway.”

Do you know they can also pull you over for going to slow? Do some of you not understand this cop was likely going to pull the guy over no matter what? Its like you all are completely ignoring that he brake checked a civilian who was not speeding. Brake checking is dangerous and serious and a cop should never do that to someone even if he were following too closely.
This is another good video on how cop ticket minorities:

Yes.

2qwpfcx.png

If you don't, your license should be suspended.

For reasons other than you being an elderly Asian woman.

Which is actually reason enough by itself.

How old are you, 80? That isn't close at all

He didn't hit the cop but it was close. Had he been looking in a mirror or towards his blind spot or down checking the radio...yes he would have hit the cop.

That was tail gating.

The distance between you and the lead car is mandatory to help BOTH drivers feel safe. Having someone up close on you tends to also stress out the lead driver.

So stop bring pricks.

If that was the freeway I would agree. Doing 30 mph, I do not.

I mean the cop had no reason to stop there, and decelerated from 30 mph to 0 in about 5 feet, and the guy doesn't hit him.

To me that is proof of following at safe distance.

If that was the freeway I would agree. Doing 30 mph, I do not.

I mean the cop had no reason to stop there, and decelerated from 30 mph to 0 in about 5 feet, and the guy doesn't hit him.

To me that is proof of following at safe distance.

He was able to stop in time because his eyes were fixated on the cop. But we don't account for best case scenario when these distances are created, as such it needs to account for the times where your eyes are NOT fixated on what's in front of you. Should you be checking a mirror a blind spot or changing a radio station.

Following that close is basically playing with fire. And the lead car has NO FUCKING CLUE that the driver behind him is competent, which is why it also creates a stressful situation for the that driver as well. And now his attention is going to be on his rear view mirror more often than it should.

It's just a bad fucking habit you shouldn't defend.

I wasn't aware that you had to be close on a two lane double yellow

This is another good video on how cop ticket minorities:

They can't actually fine them unless they've done something wrong. "Yes I was driving without a license... but the cop shouldn't have stopped me!" He stopped them precisely because he knows the poor part of town is where the dumb people live, that's where the ticket money is. People in the US constantly conflate class issues with race issues because minorities are predominantly lower class, it's intellectually lazy to assume discrepancy is discrimination.

They can't actually fine them unless they've done something wrong. "Yes I was driving without a license... but the cop shouldn't have stopped me!" He stopped them precisely because he knows the poor part of town is where the dumb people live, that's where the ticket money is. People in the US constantly conflate class issues with race issues because minorities are predominantly lower class, it's intellectually lazy to assume discrepancy is discrimination.
so basically you agree that cops target minorities because they "know the poor parts of town is where the dumb people live and that's where the ticket money is". Furthermore, it sounds like your ok with the fact that the police is targeting the poor in order to fund their own pockets or the pockets of the municipalities. Have you even watched the video? They are also investigating people on one charge but when they cant find reasons to hold them on those charges they are issuing tickets on something irrelevant to their initial investigation. Your only ok with this because you arent the target of this system, you sir sound like the reverse robin hood "rob from the poor to fund the rich". I've only been issued a ticket once in my life and i did deserve it so i paid it but i can sympathize with people who are treated unfairly.

Back