Cool rope strength do it yourselfer

Sean S

Brown Belt
Reaction score
http://www.functionalhandstrength.com/fhs_short_rope.html

Found this on another forum, thought it was interesting. The only thing I don't get it is: What is the thing that is bolted to the rope? Would that be self built or can you buy those somewhere?

Here's the rope:

http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=1976883

I would assume the part that holds the plates is just a loading pin that you can get at here?

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/ironmind/prodinfo.asp?number=1313-C

Something like that. Dunno. Any idea?

I made something similar to that last year. It was worth it the effort but if you can buy something like that for less hassle, why not?

I've done some sailing in my day. Why would you pay for that bolt thingy when you could either a) tie a knot or, assuming that the rop is too thick to practically tie a knot, do a simple eye-splice. you can look up eye splices on the internet and with the instructions in front of you and the rope in your hands, it should take someone who's never tied a knot in their life no longer than 20 minutes or a half hour to get one done that will be stronger than that bolt-chain thingy.

#1can said:
I've done some sailing in my day. Why would you pay for that bolt thingy when you could either a) tie a knot or, assuming that the rop is too thick to practically tie a knot, do a simple eye-splice. you can look up eye splices on the internet and with the instructions in front of you and the rope in your hands, it should take someone who's never tied a knot in their life no longer than 20 minutes or a half hour to get one done that will be stronger than that bolt-chain thingy.

Hrm, you have me intrigued. Although I have to admit the reason why the loading pin thing looks good is because I have one.

I'd jst like to say that John Wood is a paranoid fart knocker who's taken rip-off training from Furey. Plus the bitch ass motherfucker looks like Beldar Conehead. You can make any of his bullshit products yourself for 1/8 the price and who wants to support such a vile human being anyways? Just say NO to "fuctional handstrength" kids

Just buy a caribeaner and fold over a 5' piece of rope with a hose clamp. That shit will set you back less than 30 bucks and work just as well.

JimSmitty said:
I'd jst like to say that John Wood is a paranoid fart knocker who's taken rip-off training from Furey. Plus the bitch ass motherfucker looks like Beldar Conehead. You can make any of his bullshit products yourself for 1/8 the price and who wants to support such a vile human being anyways? Just say NO to "fuctional handstrength" kids

You've had 5 posts in 8 months. Do you have an explanation for a personal attack like this? One we can verify?

Look, I don't know the dude, so you may be right, but you might also be a troll. For some reason, it seems like there's been a million of them lately.

Sean S said:
Hrm, you have me intrigued. Although I have to admit the reason why the loading pin thing looks good is because I have one.

The loading pin is still perfect. The eye splice i suggest is to replace the bolt-hose-clamp-thing on the rope itself. eye splice, then attach a carabiner to the eye, then attach whatever you want (loading pin) to the carabiner.

#1can said:
The loading pin is still perfect. The eye splice i suggest is to replace the bolt-hose-clamp-thing on the rope itself. eye splice, then attach a carabiner to the eye, then attach whatever you want (loading pin) to the carabiner.

That is a really good idea. Yeah I figured out that the eye splice took place of whatever is bolted to the rope... took me a while but I figured it out. Yeah so I'm slow.

JimSmitty said:

Sorry guy, but this wasn't some fan boy post or some kind of political agenda. It was a cool looking, easy to use thing for grip strength. I don't even know who the guy is. Was there even a workout on that page?

just fold the rope over and use one or two of these:
Hose_Clamp.jpg

It'll cost you two bucks.

You know I'm not a troll.

I'm like Silent Bob motherfuckers. I just don't like to talk much, but when I do you best be listening. In this case, you've been warned about the evil that is John and Kim Wood. But really, don't sell your soul to those half-assed devils, wait for the real thing. Honestly, 99 bucks for a 3' manilla rope? He also claimed that homemade versions of his formulator where "anatomically, biomechanically, and physiologyically incorrect", in addition, the laws of physics only apply to John Wood products. Normal manilla ropes don't involve gravity for some reason, only the ones you buy from JW.

JimSmitty said:
You know I'm not a troll.

I'm like Silent Bob motherfuckers. I just don't like to talk much, but when I do you best be listening. In this case, you've been warned about the evil that is John and Kim Wood. But really, don't sell your soul to those half-assed devils, wait for the real thing. Honestly, 99 bucks for a 3' manilla rope? He also claimed that homemade versions of his formulator where "anatomically, biomechanically, and physiologyically incorrect", in addition, the laws of physics only apply to John Wood products. Normal manilla ropes don't involve gravity for some reason, only the ones you buy from JW.

Wow and did you see me posting a link to cheap rope, cause I did. 2" - 28,800 lbs Breaking Strength - Per Foot $4.39 . Take your agena bullshit somewhere else. I don't care if Wanda Sykes made an article about it, it's still something clever and easy to make.

And beyond that, you haven't said anything that deserves my undivided attention.

Yeah, take a look at the 6 posts by Smitty. They are very helpful. By the way, how is the training for your smegmoid ambula going? My best friend just injured his hyper rhomboid triangulus and can't do any functional training, it really sucks.

Why not get back on that hiatus from posting?

Nothing to see here... But to keep on topic, is this good for any kind of grip strength or not?

I think it will help with grip. I like the idea a decent amount, but its way to over priced. I would either, A) buy rope a lot cheaper, and just use a hose clamp or learn to tie a few knots) or B) use a towel.

John Wood talks a lot about the "saftey" of his product, and how its better to buy his. There was a discusison about this on another board and many people attacked him for his prices (but there were others who said it was worth it). If all you are doing is picking up weight, even if it does break the weight will just hit the floor. If I was going to swing the weight around or hang from buildings I'd buy his product; if I"m going to pick the weight off of the floor and hold it, I'll stick to something cheaper. I mean, even a towel you are still getting a great workout and may even benefit more from the variation every time you grab it.

Something like this (a home made version to be sure) would be fun for hammer curls in the way brookfield used a towel in the article posted the other day, don't you think?

Rest easy childeren, it's a grip exercise. I liken it to plate curls.

Back