Cooking meat in water, not oil

I cook my meat in water, its seems to amke it curmble into smaller bits rather than chunk up if that makes sense. It browns just fine.

im assuming he is avoiding oil for health/diet reasons?? doesnt really make sense TBH, just use olive oil, it is high in fat but is natural & perfectly healthy in reasonable amounts, using butter like the people above is mad unless you are aiming to become fat, wouldnt even taste nice........

He is probably cutting weight and just focusing on keeping calories low. Would you rather cook your meat in 100 cals of oil (even if those are good calories) or would you rather cook it in water and then eat 100 cals of something else?

He is probably cutting weight and just focusing on keeping calories low. Would you rather cook your meat in 100 cals of oil (even if those are good calories) or would you rather cook it in water and then eat 100 cals of something else?

100 cals of what else? more carbs or more protein? because those are your only two options after fat. and it depends, you're assuming that fat is not necessary, or less necessary than carbs or protein. it depends on what else a person eats the rest of the day, not just at one time.

fat is great, and absolutely necessary to consume every day. but usually you're not going to sit down and eat pure fat, not like you would consume pure protein (whey shake) or carbs (toast). So really, one of your main options for consuming fat is what you use for cooking, especially saturated fats (because they don't make good dressing).

guess my past post was a bit generic but basically from what i have read & looked into butter has alot of salt, calories & saturated fat...half decent olive oil has very little/none of that in it. but i am hardly claiming to be a nutritional expert either

guess my past post was a bit generic but basically from what i have read & looked into butter has alot of salt, calories & saturated fat...half decent olive oil has very little/none of that in it. but i am hardly claiming to be a nutritional expert either

Olive oil has very little/no calories?

Equal amounts of EVOO and butter have the exact same calories.

butter has alot of salt, calories & saturated fat...half decent olive oil has very little/none of that in it.

None of these are bad for you, unless you're eating some fake butter substitute.

And olive oil doesn't have calories? GTFO.

but i am hardly claiming to be a nutritional expert either

This much is VERY obvious.

Olive oil has very little/no calories?

Equal amounts of EVOO and butter have the exact same calories.

While they are very close, they are not exact. Remember the milk solids and water content of butter.

Where in his post did he state that?

:icon_neut

im assuming he is avoiding oil for health/diet reasons?? doesnt really make sense TBH, just use olive oil, it is high in fat but is natural & perfectly healthy in reasonable amounts, using butter like the people above is mad unless you are aiming to become fat, wouldnt even taste nice........

he is contrasting olive oil with butter. he claims that olive oil is natural and "perfectly healthy" (in reasonable amounts". The use of butter, on the other hand, is mad. That is, unless you are aiming to be fat, and dislike things which taste good.

He's put olive oil in the "natural and healthy" column, whereby one would be quite the opposite of mad if you were to consume it. Butter, in his world, is in the other column, where madness reigns.

While they are very close, they are not exact. Remember the milk solids and water content of butter.

Ah, good point. I normally just consider butter a fat, like any other oil, but you're right.

So actually, butter has even less calories than EVOO.

Seriously. U have been told that lard is the best thing to cook with. Is this true???

I don't know shit and I am about to go read the FAQs, AGAIN!

:icon_lol:

I cook my meat in water, its seems to amke it curmble into smaller bits rather than chunk up if that makes sense. It browns just fine.

I do this same thing when I am cooking ground beef, when its still frozen. Put a little water in the pan and cover and steam it, and scrape off the melted meat.

Hasn't anyone else been to a Japanese "shabu" restaurant. You basically dip meat and veggies into boiling hot water to cook. Doesn't give the meat any flavor, but they provide good dipping sauces.

Hasn't anyone else been to a Japanese "shabu" restaurant. You basically dip meat and veggies into boiling hot water to cook. Doesn't give the meat any flavor, but they provide good dipping sauces.

Yep, plus the higher end shabu places usually have killer marinades on really nice cuts of meat.

I wouldn't recommend frying meat in either olive oil or butter, because both are altered at hight temperatures and become unhealthy. Better to cook in lard or shortening. I just bbq meat outside year round. Scientist's say bbqed meat can cause cancer but f'it, it tastes delicious and it doesn't stink the house out when I cook it.

The only way to cook meat in water is in a slow cooker, and for no less than 8 hours. WTF is this pan frying in water shit?!?!?!

BBQ FTW. Cooking in water... really? Blergh...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back