Cooking meat in water, not oil

Olir

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
My friend recently said he cooks his meat in water, not boiling it, just like, enough to lubricate the pan til the meat is cooked.

What's the deal with this? I always use butter for cooking meat at high temp.

he probably just coats the bottom of the pan with water (maybe 1/8th of an inch or so) and lets the meat cook in that. I just use a non stick pan with some pam on it so that the meat doesn't stick. works well for me

Butter, ghee, or other healthy fats in cast iron > than anything else, including the non-stick chemicals.

I use butter to cook everything, but after that gets used up I put water as I need it and sometimes a splash of balsamic vinegar because one, it prevents everything from sticking to the bottom and burning, and two it deglazes the pan and makes a nice sauce for my veggies or sweetpotato. You can also use broth for this.

im assuming he is avoiding oil for health/diet reasons?? doesnt really make sense TBH, just use olive oil, it is high in fat but is natural & perfectly healthy in reasonable amounts, using butter like the people above is mad unless you are aiming to become fat, wouldnt even taste nice........

Gross.

+1 for Olive oil. You want your meat browned, not boiled like prison food. Let the olive oil heat up to temp first (if its smoking its too hot). If you don't, the oil soaks in too much.

doesnt really make sense TBH, just use olive oil, it is high in fat but is natural & perfectly healthy in reasonable amounts, using butter like the people above is mad unless you are aiming to become fat, wouldnt even taste nice........

no.jpg

Frying in Oliv oil works but it's fucking hard. Looking for the smoking point is hard when you have a bigass piece roasting in the pan. And when the olivoil is brown it's already too late.

If I do fry (which is rare) I go for rice-bran oil, I've heard from a few sources (via internet sites and my dietitian) that it holds up to heat alot better.

im assuming he is avoiding oil for health/diet reasons?? doesnt really make sense TBH, just use olive oil, it is high in fat but is natural & perfectly healthy in reasonable amounts, using butter like the people above is mad unless you are aiming to become fat, wouldnt even taste nice........

The hell are you talking about? take a cooking class..

i've been trying to avoid this forum, but this post is hilarious.

is oil really high in fat? really?? do you have a source to prove this?

how is olive oil more natural than butter? trees are more natural than cows?

why is using butter to cook mad? and why would it make you fat?

butter tastes great, that's why people eat it.

And no, you shouldn't cook at a high temp with olive oil, it has a very low smoke point. Saturated fats are much more stable at higher temps, so use butter or coconut oil. I prefer coconut oil because it is cheaper, tasty, and it's easier to find organic coconut oil than organic butter.

i've been trying to avoid this forum, but this post is hilarious.

is oil really high in fat? really?? do you have a source to prove this?

how is olive oil more natural than butter? trees are more natural than cows?

why is using butter to cook mad? and why would it make you fat?

butter tastes great, that's why people eat it.

And no, you shouldn't cook at a high temp with olive oil, it has a very low smoke point. Saturated fats are much more stable at higher temps, so use butter or coconut oil. I prefer coconut oil because it is cheaper, tasty, and it's easier to find organic coconut oil than organic butter.

I've always found butter scorches before olive oil smokes, because of the milk solids in the butter. Clarified butter(ghee), on the other hand, is pure win.

It is impossible to fry meat in water as water turns to steam at 100 degrees. Cooking meat in water is called boiling or poaching, and doing it in a frying pan makes about as much sense as making stew in a wok. The evaporation of the water into steam in the pan prevents any kind of fluid convection (meaning the meat won't brown and retain moisture) and damages the meat's texture.

Oils are used for frying because they have a much higher tolerance for heat before they go through any kind of phase transition. As stated, sat fats (cocnut, lard, dripping/ tallow) have the highest smoke points so are best for frying dense meats like beef or venison. Canola, vegetable and nut oils are useful for stir frying, but don't over do it with them. Butter is good for almost everything else.

I always cook my chicken breasts in the pot it takes around 20 -30 minutes but i like it that way that way it's almost pure protein. Put some jalapeno peppers, tomato after its done cooking and it's ready to go.

If you have a non stick pan. it really dosen't need anything else to cook.

It is impossible to fry meat in water as water turns to steam at 100 degrees. Cooking meat in water is called boiling or poaching, and doing it in a frying pan makes about as much sense as making stew in a wok. The evaporation of the water into steam in the pan prevents any kind of fluid convection (meaning the meat won't brown and retain moisture) and damages the meat's texture.

I can't believe you (as the 14th reply to this thread) were the first one to point out this obvious problem.

I cook most everything in butter (by "everything," I mean things actually requiring some kind of fat/grease). Most liquid oils are too easy to damage (making them harmful) and no healthier (just different) than butter, even in an undamaged state. Butter is "durable," dirt cheap, easy to use, and gets the job done.

I can't believe you (as the 14th reply to this thread) were the first one to point out this obvious problem.

I cook most everything in butter (by "everything," I mean things actually requiring some kind of fat/grease). Most liquid oils are too easy to damage (making them harmful) and no healthier (just different) than butter, even in an undamaged state. Butter is "durable," dirt cheap, easy to use, and gets the job done.

This, this and more this.

Back