Conor's takedown defence is statisically, factually worse than Barboza and Micheal Johnson

Conveniently leaving out the "bigger wrestler who is gonna ragdoll Conor" Alvarez? Conor's TDD is great, I suggest you watch the BJJ Scout breakdown.

And how did the fight with Mendes finish?

Do you have selective memory or are you deluded with hate?

>BJJ Scout sed so

>Muh Alvarez is a good wrestler

Lol this is probably the best example of someone who solely resorts to YouTube videos for technical knowledge of the sport.

Eddie Sanchez is a mediocre HS wrestler who NEVER had wrestled in the big leagues. Heck I predicted Conor would knock his chin off by the second.

Also let’s NOT omit that both Mendes AND Diaz had 10 day camps for Connie... one of them ragdolled him until he gassed(to which Connie’s ONLY answer for grappling was an archaic CLOSED guard while waiting for a stand up), the other one sliced through his non existent grappling defense and submitted him.

#FACTS

That's not what I asked. Cherry pick some more stats. How pathetic.

Conor is 9-1 in the UFC.

Michael Johnson is 9-9 in the UFC

Edson Barboza is 12-6 in the UFC

Nice try.
Well you're talking about a bunch of LWs and their records within that division. A fighters FW record doesn't matter.
Michael Johnson would slaughter the FW division if he could make the weight.

Khabib was whiffing On takedowns in his last fight in rounds 4 and 5 against a real estate agent. GSP he is not.

Sadly Conor's takedown defense is still an unknown because the only two examples we have to go off on is Mendez and Alves. If Conor was truly hurt during his fight with Chad, how can we hold it against him? Like wise Alves isn't a great offensive wrestler. He also wasn't bigger than Conor and nor did Eddie attempt a takedown until he was hurt. How can you give Conor credit for this?

By far the worst example is Nate Diaz given his known history of weak wrestling. You might aswell be using Overeem as an example of one with a granite chin.

Khabib is just as bad. His best win to date might be RDA from almost 5 years ago and then barboza.

But ither way Khabib is a world grappling champion . The guy has had his way with almost every guy he has ever faced. Khabib trains with DC, Cain, Rockhold and other very experienced grapplers. Given all of this; the chance of Conor somehow outworking Khabib with his takedown defense is rather bleak in my opinion.

Last edited:
A statistic is just a number. And numbers are as easily manipulatable, incomplete, and misleading as words are. But they’re more dangerous than words, because numbers are associated with math, and math is associated with fact.

But facts are something special. Facts are complete and unbiased enough to tell you something relevant to understanding the past or predicting the future. They don’t care about your goals. They’re uninterested in your politics. They’re not trying to tell your story. They don’t have quarterly earnings expectations to meet. They drown themselves in context and explain blunt-force reality in all its glory. - Kenny Florian

Well you're talking about a bunch of LWs and their records within that division. A fighters FW record doesn't matter.
Michael Johnson would slaughter the FW division if he could make the weight.

I hope this is supposed to be ironic. He just lost his first FW fight.

>BJJ Scout sed so

>Muh Alvarez is a good wrestler

Lol this is probably the best example of someone who solely resorts to YouTube videos for technical knowledge of the sport.

Eddie Sanchez is a mediocre HS wrestler who NEVER had wrestled in the big leagues. Heck I predicted Conor would knock his chin off by the second.

Also let’s NOT omit that both Mendes AND Diaz had 10 day camps for Connie... one of them ragdolled him until he gassed(to which Connie’s ONLY answer for grappling was an archaic CLOSED guard while waiting for a stand up), the other one sliced through his non existent grappling defense and submitted him.

#FACTS

Post proof, all I ever see is this self hating Brazilian posting nonsense.

Quote an actual post where you said Conor would win.

In the LW division Conor has a record of 2-1.
Statistically that is worse than Edson's 19-6 but better than Michael's 17-13.
He’s fought at LW once, and that was to win the belt.
The Diaz fights were at WW. That matters because despite the memes, Diaz really is much bigger than Conor and was allowed by the higher weight class to come into the cage probably around 185. Conor was under weight (168) both times.
The Diaz fights are an exception to his career, which is at FW and LW.

These stats don’t matter. No common opponent

lY96Er.gif
This is not a good gif to show how terrible Conor's wrestling is.
Sure - he was taken down - but he swept Nate and reversed the position quite quickly.

Even if Nate might have attempted to bait Conor into a sub, I would still say this exchange shows that the difference in wrestling skills between them seemed less than what we thought.
I was seriously mind blown that Nate got swept and didn't manage to do any significant damage after getting Conor down.
The only time Conor faced someone even close to Khabib's size
What about Eddie? o_O
Weighs the same as Khabib and is just 3cm/1.18 inches shorter.

Conors tactic for dealing with Chads wrestling was to hug him on the ground and wait for the ref to stand them up. It's why he'd didn't focus on TDD.
Chad got takedowns pretty handy but he did almost zero damage in the gnp (one good elbow iirc). His gnp was so ineffective he started going for subs.
Herb Dean wouldn't play ball and stand them up so eventually Conor had to change tactics, get up, and knock Chad "the fuck" out.
But to haters, somehow, Conor lost that fight.

Post proof, all I ever see is this self hating Brazilian posting nonsense.

Quote an actual post where you said Conor would win.

Pipe down on the xenophobic rhetoric Earl, it makes you look WEAK minded. Besides, can’t properly spell BJJ without Brazilian:)

Also here you go m8.

Ready to give @BRASIL WAND credit?
<5>

Gonna give you lads the quick picks before I'm off to watch the fight lads:

JJ vs Karolina

No explanations needed here. Karolinas toughness is gonna carry her to see the wrong end of a decision.

JJ via easy UD

Woodley vs Wonderlad

This fight is gonna make ALOT of people salty because Woodley is gonna show just how good he is. He simply has too many ways to win the fight whether it be KO, Wall n Stall, GnP, etc.

His position control in grappling is being overlooked, and when he closes the distance and bullies Wonderlad on the cage, he is going to make him pay heavy.

Woodley via GnP TKO Round 2

Finally...

Connie vs Eddie

Eddie has the tools to win, BUT his fight IQ tends to go out the window when his ego comes into play. Against RDA he was able to execute because there was NO pressure on him to perform well and RDA is all class never attempting to get in Eddys head. Eddie showed his skillset, lured RDA into his game plan and got the finish.

HOWEVER in fight against Cowboy, Eddie came in with tons of hype and punched himself out in the first. Against Nick Thompson who was the bigger fighter and very unorthodox(somewhat goofy in everything from his personality to his style) he lost his composure, couldn't put his ego in check after Nick walked through his punches AND eventually ran into a left.

Similarly with Chandler in their first fight with Eddie as the champ in Bellator, ending up rocked and submitted against the up and coming guy.

POINT IS Eddie fails to perform when he is EXPECTED to win. Hopefully Mark Henry has made the right adjustments BUT Eddie has put pressure on himself engaging in trash talk with Connie.

Connie needs to let Eddie lead the dance and wait for Eddie to give him an oppening. He is susceptible to left hands as caught by Huerta, Thompson, this random guy ( fight I was there for):

sgl6dc.jpg

ALSO Going by Eddies overconfidence he MIGHT shoot a sloppy shot and not only get caugh but possibly run into a choke. YES that's right, TRAINING with someone from Marcelo Garcias system(Dillon "MGs Butler" Danis) anyone who's trained or studied Marcelo Garcias work KNOWS he IS the authority of Guillotine chokes when it comes to No-Gi and MMA.

So my pick is Eddie rushing Connie to the fence and getting caught for a TKO. He's got a chin BUT if Connie's smart he'll go for broke and finish the job overwhelming him with punches.

Connie via TKO Round 2

Well there you go lads! I'm off to see Le Fights.

Share your picks, comment, agree, disagree, Sound off Sherlads!

MJ and Edson have great TDD. I just wish their bottom game was better.

Eddie didn't attempt a takedown until he was already knocked out on his feet.
Fighters doesn't get credit for things they never had to defend against.

Mark Henry and Eddie Alvarez both said that the game plan was to wrestle with Conor. Obviously it's extremely hard to do that when you're half unconscious within the first 60 seconds of the fight. He had multiple take down attempts in the first round, but they were all stuffed. Eddie was trapped in there.

Conor doesn't have the best sprawl and he's not going to limp leg out of a deep single but he has great footwork and a framing tactic for preventing wrestlers from closing the distance. Khabib on the other hand rushes in very similarly to rousey but relies on wild strikes to intimidate his opponent against the fence where he puts in the underhooks and starts his chain wrestling, not going to work against Conor.

Khabib is going to take a long time to get the TD and be tagged alot in the process, if conor's power hurts him or pushes him back like Alvarez he loses. if he can run through it and keep pressing forward like Diaz or may-weather he wins.

Last edited:
Conor McGregor
  • TD Avg.: 0.92
  • TD Acc.: 62%
  • TD Def.: 73%
  • Sub. Avg.: 0.0
Michael Johnson
  • TD Avg.: 0.61
  • TD Acc.: 50%
  • TD Def.: 79%
  • Sub. Avg.: 0.1
Edson Barboza
  • TD Avg.: 0.49
  • TD Def.: 80%

Don't be deceived by the hype of this fight. Even despite facing significantly larger, stronger wrestlers in their careers, Barboza and MJ (both of whom Khabib ragdolled) have significantly higher TDD stats than McGregor, not to mention superior backgrounds in wrestling and grappling (Johson's college wrestling experience and Barboza'a submission grapppling).

The only time Conor faced a high level wrestler in his career was at FW where he was taken down 4 times in two rounds and controlled and smashed on the ground for nearly 4 straight minutes in the second round.

giphy.gif

ufc_196_free_fight_conor_mcgregor_vs_chad_mendes-1.gif

The only time Conor faced someone even close to Khabib's size, Nate Diaz, who is known as a weak wrestler, he was stopped in the first contest and won a razor close decision in the second landing a staggering 252 strikes to McGregor's 197, he was also taken down.

giphy.gif

lY96Er.gif

giphy.gif

As per usual, another conor hater leaving out tons of relevant info...barboza for example, has been taken down in tons of his fights...while conor has only been taken down in a couple of times in his entire career...so the number or %'s are going to be way off...he was taken down a few times against mendes on a badly injured knee. and against nate in the 5 round of their 2nd fight...johnson and barboza have both been taken down numerous times through out their careers, while conor hasn't...that's the difference my young conor hater....

Alvarez only wrestled at high school and you compare him to Mendes?
GSP never wrestled. Then he became the best MMA wrestler ever.

Maybe school-level wrestling isn't that important in MMA? Hell, Hendo was an Olympic wrestler and look how often he got out-wrestled. Almost like MMA is a completely different sport. Oh wait...

Conor doesn't have the best sprawl and he's not going to limp leg out of a deep single but he has great footwork and a framing tactic for preventing wrestlers from closing the distance. Khabib on the other hand rushes in very similarly to rousey but relies on wild strikes to intimidate his opponent against the fence where he can start his chain wrestling, that won't work against conor whatsoever.

Khabib is going to take a long time to get the TD and be tagged alot in the process, if conor's power hurts him or pushes him back like Alvarez he loses. if he can run through it and keep pressing forward like Diaz or may-weather he wins.

I'm willing to bet my house he's going to be harder to hit than mayweather..haha...and with the little gloves, he's going to feel these punches.

Conor McGregor
  • TD Avg.: 0.92
  • TD Acc.: 62%
  • TD Def.: 73%
  • Sub. Avg.: 0.0
Michael Johnson
  • TD Avg.: 0.61
  • TD Def.: 79%
Edson Barboza
  • TD Avg.: 0.49
  • TD Def.: 80%

Don't be deceived by the hype of this fight. Even despite facing significantly larger, stronger wrestlers in their careers, Barboza and MJ (both of whom Khabib ragdolled) have significantly higher TDD stats than McGregor, not to mention superior backgrounds in wrestling and grappling (Johson's college wrestling experience and Barboza'a submission grapppling).

The only time Conor faced a high level wrestler in his career was at FW where he was taken down 4 times in two rounds and controlled and smashed on the ground for nearly 4 straight minutes in the second round.

giphy.gif

ufc_196_free_fight_conor_mcgregor_vs_chad_mendes-1.gif

The only time Conor faced someone even close to Khabib's size, Nate Diaz, who is known as a weak wrestler, he was stopped in the first contest and won a razor close decision in the second landing a staggering 252 strikes to McGregor's 197, he was also taken down.

giphy.gif

lY96Er.gif

giphy.gif
*michael

Back