Conor's Legacy..

I think at this point we can all agree that conor is pretty much washed up and his best years are behind him. I personally don't see him taking another fight in mma but oh well time will tell.

anyways how will sherdog remember this iconic irishman when it's officially all said and done.

I'll start

o4p71khdx6iz.jpg
time will tell. if i wrote it as of today it would be a bit like george foreman. once a great fighter but the next generation knows him for making shitty grills. conor was once a good fighter who now makes shitty whiskey :)

Conor's like a one hit wonder prick.

A hype train propagated by the UFC marketing machine that all the casual wwe fans loved. Realistically a top 10ish fighter most likely, especially at 145 where he was way bigger than everyone, but never fought ranked opponents when he should have, somehow avoided all of the bad matchups, was gifted title shots consistently, and then when he started facing stiff competition and losing his fangirls claimed he was past his prime even though his skills in the cage looked the same if not better than before.
I agree, Conor's definitely not past his prime.

For the most part. It will be the money he made. He made the point early on he was about the business. And with a fairly short run. Eclipsed the sport itself.

I'm no fan. But he is where he is now because of that.

Better fighters out there. Everywhere. But for the time he got it right. Wrote his own cheque.

Dana played his part to be sure. But that's not how it will be written

How can you say it was the worse move he made when doing what he did likely caused him to make 100s of millions of dollars?

Sure "performance wise", but as 99% of fighters say or believe, they are prize fighters. They fight for money and fame, not for performance solely.
well marciano, mayweather and jones probably turned down money to stay perfect and undefeated (sorry matt hammill)

He was a lot better than his detractors will admit and not nearly as good as he claimed himself to be. His FW run and his win over Alvarez were a lot of fun to watch. Oh, and he's a total asshole.

isn't a size bully just a regular bully? Being bigger than someone you bully is like 95% of being a bully. That's all bullying is, really
most of the time. but a smaller kid with MMA training could bully the big kid who is unathletic

He started his career like some guy that would have a legacy. Now he's just some guy.

well marciano, mayweather and jones probably turned down money to stay perfect and undefeated (sorry matt hammill)

That's the 1% I left behind.

And lol at including Mayweather in that list.

most of the time. but a smaller kid with MMA training could bully the big kid who is unathletic
I guess. But how often does that happen? If a smaller kid is being bullied he's not going to get into mma training. He's going to steal his uncle's gun and shoot up his his high school cafeteria

The problem is there is no comparison … yet.

He was part Hulk Hogan part Bo Jackson.

A better fighter than the haters want to admit.

Not a GOAT like the nuthuggers want him to be (if one has longevity or defenses as GOAT criteria, which everyone unanimously did until Conor.)

He paved the way for YouTube celebrity fighting. He didn’t invent it (I watched that ice skater beat up that gal Clinton shagged in real time in like 2002), but without Conor, Jake Paul is probably still just some YouTube guy.

His Prime was short, by choice. He made more than any other fighter.

Legacy? His prime will be debated just as strongly in 20 years as it is today.

The man who emasculated Aldo inside and outside of the cage

Everyone talks about the decline of Mcgregor but people tend to forgot one important detail, Mcgregor never lost a fight in the UFC at FW. He was 7-0 with wins over Porier, Max, Aldo, and Mendes. Say what you want but those were legit wins and the second he moved up in weight he got beat down by Nate Diaz. His style just doesn’t work against bigger fighters and the power doesn’t translate.

Bulking up and moving up weight was the worst move he could have made performance wise because now he’s just a bloated LW instead of a lean FW.

This was prime Conor.

CompetentAbandonedCowrie-size_restricted.gif
You forget that once the IV ban went into effect, Conor couldn't beat up on smaller guys at FW and that is where his real demise went. Plus we all know that a full camp Mendes beats the breaks off Conor.

An overachiever considering his skillset.
Mini-Mendes with time to prep would have killed his hype train right away.

He never could beat good grapplers, although his striking was obviously legit.

In his prime, definitely a top 5 in his division. But never a GOAT.

That being said, he's a shitty person and a sore loser.
His fans will say "hurr durr at least he's rich!!!!" And good for him, but he's still an objectively shitty person.

Back