Conor playing subtle mind games with Floyd.

Like you I was "weened" on Boxing as a combat sport. I may be a bit older than you, but not sure. I was double digit years old when Boxing did it's first PPV (The Thrilla in Manilla).

I got to watch Ali compete of free television broadcasts. I am having difficult time getting my 59 year older Brother (A TKD 3rd degree BB), and making precious little leeway into my 88 year old Father (still an adamant fan of Boxing) into MMA.

We still get together 3 generations at my Fathers house to watch sporting events.

What was one of my peeves "initially" (female MMA) in the UFC garnished FAR more attention to my father than anything that I have been able to do to date. (P.S. He so DESPISED the PRIDE FC MMA fight between Don Frye and Takyama it is difficult for me to explain).

Watching the Raven game this weekend the commercial "baddest woman on the planet" got his attention and generated conversation over MMA. Fingers crossed, hopefully the growing media coverage of MMA in mainstream sport broadcasts help to bring more fans into the MMA/ UFC world!

I would be ECSTATIC to buy ever single UFC PPV if I could get the family into MMA (Just like I did nearing a decade ago when I had friend my own age that were MMA fans like myself.

That is one of my challenges, in that these dozen + 50+ year old friends that used to watch UFC PPV's up to 2009 religiously, won't watch a UFC fight today if you paid them. That is seriously scary and difficult for me to comprehend. God I hope I don't start "geezing" like them!<cheer>
Funny you chose Thrilla in Manilla for landmark, the fight happened the year I was born. So yes, I'm at least 10 years younger than you. I have similar experience with my father but he was not a hardcore: he was a devoted follower of local boxing. The Hilton bros were his idols when he was young:

davey_hilton-530x317.jpg

Damn those fighting Irish, they have paved the way for the GOAT.

So I enjoyed boxing a lot because it was a father-son activity that no one else shared with us. Even my twin brother didn't care about it. I'm lucky to be from Montreal because my father was brought to MMA by GSP. Having GSP as role-model, he thought MMA fighters were all class and boxers were the bums! Glad I didn't bring him to see GSP vs Diaz with me.

I share your fear toward the direction our sport is going. We gotta admit it: MMA is for the young guys. We are old geezers now, especially you ;). Our friends and family will most likely never be interested in it and the old-time fans are not coming back, either...

Last edited:
This was the first thing that popped into my mind when I saw it, didn't think much of it, especially as I had just seen a vid of Floyd trying to read. Funny it made twitter-news.

I think Conor's just trying to get the biggest boxing payday possible cause he knows any top 50-100 boxer mops the floor with him.

Roger that. I rarely remember specific posters so I have to go with what I read on the moment. Calling a fighter btch is a no-no in my book but I have done it too for emphasis and shock effect. You have redeemed yourself with this post and I even think I gave you a like in another thread minutes ago.

If the post was good, I don't care who wrote it: I like it.
i agree, calling a fighter a bitch means you havent tried fighting before - its embarrassing to see

i agree, calling a fighter a bitch means you havent tried fighting before - its embarrassing to see
Even a couple of months of BJJ will teach you that. It will also teach you to never mess with people with cauliflower ears.

The use of word itself should be enough to describe a person: if you're using "bitch", then you're the bitch...

Back