Conor McGregor ducked Justin Gaethje

Then Conor is more interested in fighting guys who just got chinned, rather than those in title contention.

No way this fight should earn him a shot at Khabib.

Yes, doesn't mean that Justin might not also interest him. Just less than Cowboy. Conor probably respects Cowboy, like a lot of people do. So it's more of an honor to fight him than Justin.

That's up to Khabib and the UFC. Normally it shouldn't. But Conor doesn't go by the norm a lot of the time. If it doesn't, he'll just fight somebody else. I won't mind, that's for sure.

Then Conor is more interested in fighting guys who just got chinned, rather than those in title contention.

No way this fight should earn him a shot at Khabib.
Realistically, whats the difference if he fights Khabib next? He isn't going to close that gap in skill. I do agree with you though.

Yes, doesn't mean that Justin might not also interest him. Just less than Cowboy. Conor probably respects Cowboy, like a lot of people do. So it's more of an honor to fight him than Justin.

That's up to Khabib and the UFC. Normally it shouldn't. But Conor doesn't go by norm a lot of the time. If it doesn't he'll just fight somebody else. I won't mind, that's for sure.

Who gives a shit what "interests" Conor

If you're going to try and fight for the belt you need to fight the #1 contender, or at least someone in title contention. Someone is the actual division, maybe?

You'll obviously keep defending him but the fact remains that he's fighting someone who just got KO'd, while the guy that did it sits on the sidelines. Then Conor will skip right past him to get a title shot at Khabib.

Absolute bullshit.

He most likely is still getting PPV points, so it wouldn't be the same pay off.
You think Conor v Cowboy sells less PPVs than Conor v Gaethje?

If so, then you and I disagree. I think it sells more.

My comments above, I was being generous. And when I said “reward” I was talking the ultimate reward - a title shot - not the immediate cash payout.

TBH Conor vs Cerrone is a good fight.

To me the big issue is Conor getting a title fight from it.

I think Conor would KO Gaethje. I know MMAth doesn't add up, but Gaethje was finished by Alvarez and Poirier. Even Michael Johnson had him doing the chicken dance. Gaethje is touchable, and if you hurt him and take your time, you will beat him.

I think Conor can easily beat Gaethje. Gaethje is not going to wrestle Conor. He will go toe-to-toe, and I trust Conor's power and chin over Gaethje's.

TBH Conor vs Cerrone is a good fight.

To me the big issue is Conor getting a title fight from it.

Exactly, it’s a fun fight, but in no way should it garner a title shot. I can’t believe all the people defending this charade.

Who gives a shit what "interests" Conor

If you're going to try and fight for the belt you need to fight the #1 contender, or at least someone in title contention. Someone is the actual division, maybe?

You'll obviously keep defending him but the fact remains that he's fighting someone who just got KO'd, while the guy that did it sits on the sidelines. Then Conor will skip right past him to get a title shot at Khabib.

Absolute bullshit.

You get so emotional over this stuff. No need to, bud. I'm not defending him. I'm just going by how I interpret his actions and I disagree with you on the interpretation. Ducking or avoiding implies an intent. I think his intent is different than what you think. What interests him is what he bases his decisions on and determines what his intent is. Which then could tell us if it's to avoid one option or if another option just happened to be a better one from his perspective.

You think Conor v Cowboy sells less PPVs than Conor v Gaethje?

If so, then you and I disagree. I think it sells more.

My comments above, I was trying to simplify. And also was talking the ultimate reward - a title shot - not the immediate cash payout.

Either way. Not the same pay-off. I think Cowboy might pull in better numbers. He simply has more name recognition. Casuals don't really care about meritocracy. They just care about knowing the fighters. Hardcores care about meritocracy, but those aren't the majority and probably are largely tuning in anyway, especially if the rest of the card is also good.

Like I said, Conor probably sees Cowboy as a more interesting option because he has shown respect and has a long ass career of being a 'real warrior' which in turn has gained Conor's respect. So not all things are the same. Fighters like to fight people they respect, just like fighters like to fight legends.

Another reason might be that Conor might not be as interested in letting all the trash talk get out of hand again like it did with Khabib and in that case Cowboy is definitely the better choice.

Last edited:
They are both good fights for Conor but Cowboy is the bigger name.

You bunch of absolute bitches..

When dana says something that makes sense he's obviously lying.. when he's testing the waters (click bait) he's obviously telling the truth if it means you can whine..

Conor is always ducking someone.. it's getting old as fuck.. he's ducking frankie unless he's trying to fight frankie.. in that case he's cherry picking.. etc..

Yeah, the guy is an absolute wreck, possible rapist, criminal, eater of children etc but being an emo about him is just a bad look..

Danas job is to make money, the fighers' job is to put on great fights and being marketable.. conor hates ali and likes cowboy.. really not that hard to figure out that at equal name value he's giving the opportunity to cowboy..

I highly doubt that we see Khabib-Conor next, assuming they both win.

In fact, I think the more likely path to that rematch happening is if they both LOSE.

Yes but ultimately it's their decision and I don't think it's accurate to label Conor a duck.

Gus got a title shot after being KO'd in the first round and he's not half the star Conor is.

He wanted to fight fucking Frankie Edgar. It was Dana who shut down that idea. With Cowboy they've found the sweet spot. Not a manlet but old and very beatable.

You bunch of absolute bitches..

When dana says something that makes sense he's obviously lying.. when he's testing the waters (click bait) he's obviously telling the truth if it means you can whine..

Conor is always ducking someone.. it's getting old as fuck.. he's ducking frankie unless he's trying to fight frankie.. in that case he's cherry picking.. etc..

Yeah, the guy is an absolute wreck, possible rapist, criminal, eater of children etc but being an emo about him is just a bad look..

Danas job is to make money, the fighers' job is to put on great fights and being marketable.. conor hates ali and likes cowboy.. really not that hard to figure out that at equal name value he's giving the opportunity to cowboy..
All that is true, but none of that is pertinent to this conversation.

What everyone is mad about is the (rumored, by Dana) automatic title shot at 155 if he beats a guy on a two fight losing streak at 170.

Admittedly, that’s a subtlety that’s not obvious if you only read the thread title and didn’t bother to read the thread...which I’ll now assume you’re guilty of. ;)

But now that you know what this thread is really about, do you have any thoughts on the topic at hand?

Last edited:
When Conor vs Cowboy at 170 got announced, I assumed Conor was targeting Nate and Masvidal next.
Now we know that the rematch with Khabib is next (if Conor and Khabib both win).

How can you justify Conor fighting Cowboy at 170 for a rematch with Khabib at 155?

Conor has managed to skip over the number one contender at 55, and fight the guy he just finished, at a different weight class, to earn a title shot at 55.

I don't think Conor is scared to fight anyone, but there's no way around this.
Conor McGregor ducked Justin Gaethje.

justin-gaethje-conor-mcgregor.jpg

But why?

1) Justin has been ruthless in his trash talk of McGregor.
2) Justin is obviously far more dangerous than Cowboy at this point.
3) Why risk fighting Justin when you can 'earn' a title shot off the ghost of Cowboy?

Discuss.
Shhhh quiet, can’t discuss facts on Sherdog.

If Conor would have picked Gaethje haters woyld shit on him for choosing brawler with no ground game who got KO'd by fighters Conor already destroyed. Cowboy at 170 is much tougher challenge than most brain damaged fighter in whole roster

If Conor would have picked Gaethje haters woyld shit on him for choosing brawler with no ground game who got KO'd by fighters Conor already destroyed. Cowboy at 170 is much tougher challenge than most brain damaged fighter in whole roster

But I'm not a hater, and my criticism is just.

If Conor wants the 155 strap, he should be fighting the #1 contender at 155. Not the guy who just got KO'd by the #1 contender.

When Conor vs Cowboy at 170 got announced, I assumed Conor was targeting Nate and Masvidal next.
Now we know that the rematch with Khabib is next (if Conor and Khabib both win).

How can you justify Conor fighting Cowboy at 170 for a rematch with Khabib at 155?

Conor has managed to skip over the number one contender at 55, and fight the guy he just finished, at a different weight class, to earn a title shot at 55.

I don't think Conor is scared to fight anyone, but there's no way around this.
Conor McGregor ducked Justin Gaethje.

justin-gaethje-conor-mcgregor.jpg

But why?

1) Justin has been ruthless in his trash talk of McGregor.
2) Justin is obviously far more dangerous than Cowboy at this point.
3) Why risk fighting Justin when you can 'earn' a title shot off the ghost of Cowboy?

Discuss.
Why is this a surprise. I think a huge part of it is Khabib saying he wants to retire soon. UFC wants to get Conor into the title picture with the least resistance. They'll pray that he somehow pulls off a win against Khabib and the UFC is back on the gravy train. If he loses they always have the Diaz trilogy.

I think Conor getting a title shot with a Cowboy win is complete bullshit. Idk why he just doesn't fight Gaethje. Gaethje might be dangerous but he's really hittable and has been dispatched by guys Conor has tooled on the feet.

Back