Conor McGregor ducked Justin Gaethje

Can't say I blame him, fighting Justin looks like one of the most unpleasant experiences ever, after a shark attack.

Why is this a surprise. I think a huge part of it is Khabib saying he wants to retire soon. UFC wants to get Conor into the title picture with the least resistance. They'll pray that he somehow pulls off a win against Khabib and the UFC is back on the gravy train. If he loses they always have the Diaz trilogy.

I think Conor getting a title shot with a Cowboy win is complete bullshit. Idk why he just doesn't fight Gaethje. Gaethje might be dangerous but he's really hittable and has been dispatched by guys Conor has tooled on the feet.

100%

What makes you so sure that it was Conor's decision and that he still has 100% control at this time?

If Conor had that kind of power then he would have gotten the immediate rematch with Khabib.

Conor explicitly referenced the UFC determining the opponent before this fight was announced, and alluded to it coming down to Cowboy and Gaethje, stating that he didn't care which opponent the UFC chose.

What makes you think that Dana didn't want it this way? I'm pretty sure Dana likes the idea of a rematch that did 2.4 million buys and absolutely shattered the previous UFC record.

Conor took the Mendes fight on short notice, instead of Frankie Edgar who was in shape and begging for the fight, picked vacation mode diaz over khabib, Pettis, cowboy etc and still lost, refused to defend FW belt and give aldo and Frankie chance, beat Eddie, made excuses when asked if he'd fight khabib, citing pullout on Khabib's part, fought Mayweather in an exhibition match instead of defending his belt against killers in khabib and Tony and finally fought Khabib for Khabib's belt, in a fight where conor had everything to gain and nothing to lose, but nah there is NO reason to think he ducks fights....

*fixed*

All that is true, but none of that is pertinent to this conversation.

What everyone is mad about is the (rumored, by Dana) automatic title shot at 155 if he beats a guy on a two fight losing streak at 170.

Admittedly, that’s a subtlety that’s not obvious if you only read the thread title and didn’t bother to read the thread...which I’ll now assume you’re guilty of.

But now that you know what this thread is really about, do you have any thoughts on the topic at hand?

I'm assuming dana is full of shit until khabib/conor2 is booked..

I wish money wasn't the main motivator (call me a communist) but unfortunately it is..

If conor waxes cowboy and delivers some of his old charisma in a post fight speach i think it's an unfair possibility of seeing a second match..

Gaethje on the other hand has aimed for conor since his first ufc fight.. he's been all over the place in his callouts.. is he ducking (mma math says no)? I don't think so.. he just likes cowboy and he's got a name..

I love gaethje but he played this hand wrong..

I get it.. conor deserves the hate but if you're gonna try to find the most evil scenario at every turn you'll find contradictions..

When Conor vs Cowboy at 170 got announced, I assumed Conor was targeting Nate and Masvidal next.
Now we know that the rematch with Khabib is next (if Conor and Khabib both win).

How can you justify Conor fighting Cowboy at 170 for a rematch with Khabib at 155?

Conor has managed to skip over the number one contender at 55, and fight the guy he just finished, at a different weight class, to earn a title shot at 55.

I don't think Conor is scared to fight anyone, but there's no way around this.
Conor McGregor ducked Justin Gaethje.

justin-gaethje-conor-mcgregor.jpg

But why?

1) Justin has been ruthless in his trash talk of McGregor.
2) Justin is obviously far more dangerous than Cowboy at this point.
3) Why risk fighting Justin when you can 'earn' a title shot off the ghost of Cowboy?

Discuss.

conor ko'd both guys that ko'd gaethje....he's absolutely not afraid of him. gaetchje gets hit way too often to last against conor.

I'm assuming dana is full of shit until khabib/conor2 is booked..

I wish money wasn't the main motivator (call me a communist) but unfortunately it is..

If conor waxes cowboy and delivers some of his old charisma in a post fight speach i think it's an unfair possibility of seeing a second match..

Gaethje on the other hand has aimed for conor since his first ufc fight.. he's been all over the place in his callouts.. is he ducking (mma math says no)? I don't think so.. he just likes cowboy and he's got a name..

I love gaethje but he played this hand wrong..
Out of curiosity, what should Justin have done in the last year other than ask to fight Conor, ask for a title shot, and knock 3 cats out in the first round (Including the guy Conor is about to face)?

We agree he is currently the odd man out. But you are suggesting he played it wrong and I’m not quite sure what that means.

Funnily enough, Justin seconds ago tweeted how hilarious it is that if Conor beats Cowboy - the guy Justin just crushed in the first round - then Conor will get a title shot....

conor ko'd both guys that ko'd gaethje....he's absolutely not afraid of him. gaetchje gets hit way too often to last against conor.

Justify Conor fighting Cowboy at 170 to get a title shot against Khabib at 155

Go!

I doubt that Conor would concern himself with som random dude who only the hardcore fans know of and care about.

We're talking about a guy who will "retire" if he doesn't like how negotiations are going.
Fighting the ghost of cowboy at 170, while the #1 contender sits without a fight a LW?

I can accurately call that a duck.
Willingly being protected, at best.

We're also talking about a guy that wants to fight Khabib, one of the best fighters in MMA history and his worst matchup, for a second time. So it doesn't make sense that he's scared of a FAR more favorable matchup in Gaethje. The Cowboy fight makes more sense in terms of drawing power and risk management, yes.

I miss the days when fighters had to earn titleshots.
Instead if you go on winning streaks you have to wait on the sidelines till the favorites go first smh

Out of curiosity, what should Justin have done in the last year other than ask to fight Conor, ask for a title shot, and knock 3 cats out in the first round (Including the guy Conor is about to face)?

We agree he is currently the odd man out. But you are suggesting he played it wrong and I’m not quite sure what that means.

Funnily enough, Gaethje just tweeted how hilarious it is that if Conor beats Cowboy - the guy Justin just crushed in the first round - then Conor will get a title shot....

Yeah.. and he's absolutely right.. it would be hilarious..

Thing is he tried all angles.. praise, disrespect, sense of honor etc.. that smells of puppet/management.. conor hates that management..

If he's choosing between fighting/doing business with cowboy or abdelazis i think he'll choose cowboy.. the masses won't know the difference..

We're also talking about a guy that wants to fight Khabib, one of the best fighters in MMA history and his worst matchup, for a second time. So it doesn't make sense that he's scared of a FAR more favorable matchup in Gaethje. The Cowboy fight makes more sense in terms of drawing power and risk management, yes.

Like I said in the OP, I don't think he's scared.

Having said that, I can't help but acknowledge that he's clearly taking the easier route.

If Conor had come out and said, I just want to get back in the mix, give me anybody, that would be one thing, but he's renegotiated to get a title shot with a win over Cowboy.

Again, I don't think he's scared but it's hard to deny he's taking the easier route.

Justin isn't a big enough name to sell a fight. It's hard to top the Khabib fight because of the crazy buildup. Mcgregor sort of needs a dance partner to go back and forth.

When Conor vs Cowboy at 170 got announced, I assumed Conor was targeting Nate and Masvidal next.
Now we know that the rematch with Khabib is next (if Conor and Khabib both win).

How can you justify Conor fighting Cowboy at 170 for a rematch with Khabib at 155?

Conor has managed to skip over the number one contender at 55, and fight the guy he just finished, at a different weight class, to earn a title shot at 55.

I don't think Conor is scared to fight anyone, but there's no way around this.
Conor McGregor ducked Justin Gaethje.

justin-gaethje-conor-mcgregor.jpg

But why?

1) Justin has been ruthless in his trash talk of McGregor.
2) Justin is obviously far more dangerous than Cowboy at this point.
3) Why risk fighting Justin when you can 'earn' a title shot off the ghost of Cowboy?

Discuss.

duh conor is ducking people there justin tony and jorge to start with.

There's no doubt that Conor figured Cowboy was the biggest name and easiest path to get him another title fight. Now Dana has confirmed it.

to be fair conor said edgar was that but dana said no.

Why?

1. UFC needed Conor to fight in Jan
2. Conor didn’t want to cut weight.
3. Cowboy is easier.

Conor knew UFC needed him in Jan so he negotiated hard and slow. So an agreement was made, and apparently it included a 155 title shot.

Conor plays the negotiation game well.

ufc didnt need conor and also conor has a contract signed so he didnt hold out for anything. it still about making money

It's stupid to call it ducking, but whatever. He's less likely to get injured in a Cowboy fight. It makes for more money. UFC might have preferred it too.

well what do you call it when conor wont fight jorge justin and tony.

Back