Conor can easily stay on the outside and counter Diaz to a win

But his Ego is too big.

He is surrounded by people that think he is a god. His whole country and countrymen think he is "not quite human. "

It will be his downfall.

Imagine he had a coach like Firas Zahabi who isn't kissing his ass all the time. Conor's coach has already said Conor will finish Diaz in Round 4. What a clusterfuck.
wtf is wrong with you, he was asked how he felt the fight would go. What should he say, Nate is going to choke him out again this time in the first.

How the hell is he gonna stay on the outside against a guy who has the reach advantage and who is known for breaking guys down with his jab? If Conor plays that game he is done. His best chance is to do what he did in the first fight and throw bombs. He's just gotta hope to hit the perfect spot with one of them because he's not gonna win a decision.

Definitely not saying that Conor can do it, but yes, it is possible to fight on the outside against a taller, rangier fighter with a good jab. It can only be done if you have superior speed, timing, accuracy and stamina.

Kinda like what Shevchenko did to Holm, who is 2 inches taller with a 2 inch reach advantage as well. She had superior timing and speed and was able to fight and beat Holm by staying outside.

But his Ego is too big.

He is surrounded by people that think he is a god. His whole country and countrymen think he is "not quite human. "

It will be his downfall.

Imagine he had a coach like Firas Zahabi who isn't kissing his ass all the time. Conor's coach has already said Conor will finish Diaz in Round 4. What a clusterfuck.

This is what a coach should say: "your opponent has a 2341234123 inch dick and he will fuck your KOED corpse and win the fight. He will also steal your wife while she is sleeping next to u in bed (the next day) with force."

That should motivate him.

/thread

I dont know if he can. Trying to win 5 rounds on points against a longer rangier fighter with arguably better technical boxing may not be the best strategy. I think he can just try to pick his shots better but still going to need a KO to win.

How the hell is he gonna stay on the outside against a guy who has the reach advantage and who is known for breaking guys down with his jab? If Conor plays that game he is done. His best chance is to do what he did in the first fight and throw bombs. He's just gotta hope to hit the perfect spot with one of them because he's not gonna win a decision.
My thoughts as well. He needs hit a shot like Thomson hit him with, that staggers Nate enough to let him swarm without holding back for defense. Nate's boxing style, and massive height and reach advantage makes the idea of winning a decision not very feasible. I just don't think Conor's pedigree is good enough for him to win a decision against Nate. It just dosen't lend to his style of fighting. Conor throws heavy to finish, and usually is giving up defense to create offence. Which is just not a good style against a diaz who is built for durability, and volume. And having a weakened defense against volume strikes is just not good. Especially when that volume striker has the ability to tie you in knots if you attempt a TD/clinch to try and stall out to get your wits back if he eats some heavy leather at some point.

Kinda like what Shevchenko did to Holm, who is 2 inches taller with a 2 inch reach advantage as well. She had superior timing and speed and was able to fight and beat Holm by staying outside.

Agree, but I don't think Connie has the speed disparity that was exhibited in the Shev vs Holm fight.

Agree, but I don't think Connie has the speed disparity that was exhibited in the Shev vs Holm fight.

I think maybe the speed, but definitely not the stamina in comparison to Diaz. No way in hell Conor could strike, evade/move out of the way for 5 rounds faster than Diaz can catch up.

Yeah that fight seemed to show a pretty big skills gap to me. Conor doesnt have that edge over Diaz.

Conor might be able to do this:

59dc6-11natediazvs-joshthomson3.gif

Let's be real, it is possib........... nah fuck that...!!!

ufc-196-diaz-watermarked.gif

It'll be more of this.
Nate didnt even lose that fight. BS early stoppage.

Now that refs understand nate cant be KOed even if conor could do such a thing it wont be stopped that fast.

Yeah that fight seemed to show a pretty big skills gap to me. Conor doesnt have that edge over Diaz.

I don't think it was a big skill gap in that fight, if at all. What impressed me the most was the timing and speed that shev used. That and a boxer with a reach advantage not throwing a jab.

Conor looked gassed against Mendes. By that time he had been training for the biggest fight of his career for months. If he gassed in that fight with a full training camp, I don't expect much of a difference in this one.

I don't think it was a big skill gap in that fight, if at all. What impressed me the most was the timing and speed that shev used. That and a boxer with a reach advantage not throwing a jab.
I consider timing to be a skill. Head movement use of angles. Mixing up your attack. Holly was more predictable and kept having to be more reckless because she was just getting outclassed is what it looked to me like what i was seeing.

One of the things that has made Conor effective is the angles he uses to exaggerate his length on offense. The big shots are probably his best weapon in this fight just like last. Nate is just a tough skill matchup for him. He's not beating him boxing on the inside, Nate will chew him up there. Conor has thrown some nice counters, but he's not a counter striker. That would be very difficult strategy for him to adopt, if not impossible, in such a short window. Maybe he'll find a way to win other than than a KO, but I just can't see it.

I consider timing to be a skill. Head movement use of angles. Mixing up your attack. Holly was more predictable and kept having to be more reckless because she was just getting outclassed is what it looked to me like what i was seeing.

I guess. It can be seen both ways i guess. I equate timing to speed because you have to be quick enough to react and act without getting "timed" back.

can he? Not for 5 rounds, probably not. Conor isn't going to win a long battle from the outside, he's not a longer man, he has to reach in a very long way to land a straight left, because he only uses the left. On top of that, McGregor has never shown any ability to "easily stay on the outside and counter" anybody for a long period of time, Conor is a pressure fighter, plain and simple, if he's not pressuring, he's not going to win.

Conor looked gassed against Mendes. By that time he had been training for the biggest fight of his career for months. If he gassed in that fight with a full training camp, I don't expect much of a difference in this one.
Yeah seems like Conor should be able to last longer. The guy obviously trains hard and smart. Maybe they never realized it was a problem until now and they improved that aspect. I guess we will see.

A fourth round KO could be done by staying on the outside and countering, TS.

Also lol at all the shertard haters. Watch Firas breakdown and learn something from someone that knows his shit.

Back