Conditioning for MMA

woodacre

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi i am new to the site, long time watcher of MMA wanting to start training and learning the different arts, but want advice first, i am in decent shape but not GREAT shape if you know what i mean..
first question is how much does a normal cardio session differ than one for training in mma? and can anyone supply a good cardio session for mma?

And as a side question, maybe in the wrong section not sure? what is the best art to learn first for mma?

Probably Wrestling. You should do your own conditioning outside of your technique sessions and also do some extra work after the class is finished if you want to increase your cardio. If you just do the same amount of training as everyone else, you will be mediocre like them. For good cardio ideas look up Ross Enamait and buy his books.

Hi i am new to the site, long time watcher of MMA wanting to start training and learning the different arts, but want advice first, i am in decent shape but not GREAT shape if you know what i mean..
first question is how much does a normal cardio session differ than one for training in mma? and can anyone supply a good cardio session for mma?
You should PM one of the Moderators, they'd be happy to set you up with a cardio session for MMA.

And as a side question, maybe in the wrong section not sure? what is the best art to learn first for mma?
SAFTA is the most common fundamental MMA discipline.

Cardio from doing kickboxing/mma style training is drastically different than other forms of cardio i have ever done.

I am also relatively new. I just do kickboxing/mma for now, and it has taken me a while to adjust. And just when I did, I shoved a mouthgaurd in whenever i train and a whole new world of pain. But i'm used to it now.

I was also in 'good' shape. i was a runner, and lifted consistently for years. But not this kind of shape.

You just have to stick with it man. It sucks at first. I was definetly humbled. But after a few months I really started adjusting.

As far as what MA to start with? I don't do BJJ yet, but my gym has some phenomenal BJJ guys. BJJ seems to be the real staple of most serious MMA atheletes. Probably because most fights go to the ground at some point.

Can't neglect stand up at all, but BJJ will take the longest to really grasp effectively. Not a bad place to start.

ok, so would you say doing your cardio wearing a mouthgaurd to get used to the breathing aspects?

Try Burpee Intervals
Jumping Knee Tucks
High Speed Jumping Jacks
High Speed Skip Rope
Hill Sprints
100m - 400m - 800m Sprints
2 Mile Runs - 4 Mile Runs - 6 Mile Runs
Run Hard for 2 Minutes or 3 Minutes with 30s - 60s Rest (3-5 Times)

Probably trying extra hard during training, and jogging or something.

Try Burpee Intervals
Jumping Knee Tucks
High Speed Jumping Jacks
High Speed Skip Rope
Hill Sprints
100m - 400m - 800m Sprints
2 Mile Runs - 4 Mile Runs - 6 Mile Runs
Run Hard for 2 Minutes or 3 Minutes with 30s - 60s Rest (3-5 Times)

thanks for that i have started incorporating that into my workouts. any other ideas always welcome.

For cardio out of the gym I generally run, do burpee's, jump rope, and extended bag drills. Do some sessions of those to start and in no time your endurance and cardio will start increasing dramatically. Have to work hard though, doing all that shit like a puss wont help much.

just click on the first couple threads in the conditioning forum and get a feel for some mma conditioning

For me stand up fighting is more like running sprints. A lot of quick movements that emphasize speed and power. Grappling is more like cross country running. Slower, sustained movement that requires a lot of endurance.

Use your imagination when developing a MMA geared routine. Add lunges after sledge hammer training, do a sledge hammer/sandbag combo, do a bodyweight circuit , sled dragging, sprints. etc. Keep things fresh

Visit some schools to see what your interested in, then watch several cardio or warm-up sessions...

From their depending on what art you choose will determine what you want to focus on to get up to speed with the rest of the class.

since posting this i have found a small but very good muat tai gym near me and have been attending this at every chance i get, so for now will condition towards that. all advice on good conditioning for that is more than welcome :)

Sledge Hammer, Sandbag,Burpees,

Back