Comic Book Discussion Thread V.17

IMO, you cannot read Planetary w/o reading The Authority v1 and maybe v2. reading The Authority magnifies the "wow factor" of Planetary, and for those of you that have read both, you'll agree.

B/C w/o know about (spoilers do not click)
ROOD
You have no basis for how awesome it is.

Anyway, The Authority is great to read as well, imo out of all Marvel/DC/Independent super hero teams, it's my favorite team.

The only Marvel Event I would recommend reading would be Annihilation Wave/Saga from 2007, nothing has lived up to it since.

And for Independent, Ireedeemable, is just great.

Thanks guys. AUR knocked it out of the park with suggestions I'd have never guessed. Thanks.

Metabarons? Yay? Nay? May?

Hard to say without knowing your tastes. I find Jodorowky's stuff a bit more straightforward than Moebius', but still pretty trippy compared to American style comics, even creators like Grant Morrison.

If you like Heavy Metal you can probably get into it.

I liked the Incal, but I have tried a few times to get into Metabarons without success.

Stray Bullets - story and art by David Lapham; kind of hard to sum up, but imagine Ed Brubaker's Criminal crossed with Darwyn Cooke's Parker adaptations (and maybe a touch of Los Bros Hernandez art style). Takes place mostly in the 1980s-ish and features a large cast and tells their interrelated stories. Not a flashy book, but the craftsmanship in the art and story telling is amazing.

After a multi-year break, Stray Bullets started up again last year and you can pretty much enjoy any issue without having read the ones before it.

we've let this thread go by the wayside im afraid boys. time to get this bitch back active again.

just read Batman's The Man Who Laughs. don't know why I never heard of it but its a good "origin" story of joker and batman's first encounter. Just wish it would expand a little bit more on joker trying to poison the reservoir but meh it is what it is

Saw a story where they are will be giving an identity to the Joker. Not sure how I feel about that. I know Batman in the JL knows who he is, but not sure I want to know who he is.
I'm with you.

isn't it canon that red hood was joker?? i mean we dont know the identity of red hood either buuuuuuut

Wow, Marvel is incredibly petty

x-full-a6ac3.jpg
Why keep making story lines for another studio to profit from? Hundreds of millions of dollars isn't petty.

I like the new Batman look. Reminds me of the Finch Batman from about 7 years ago.

Why keep making story lines for another studio to profit from? Hundreds of millions of dollars isn't petty.
True but I'm assuming after this, there will be no more X-Men comics (that is until they get the rights back). It seems like they're going to kill them off and use the Inhumans as replacements. I mean look at the Fantastic Four.

I could be wrong (as well as stupid).

i read my stuff on my phone. having a tablet and reading comics at work would be frowned upon. but on my phone, no one really cares.

comicrack for the win!

I use Perfect Viewer, much more customizable than other apps and works the best on my phone it seems. Comics load instantly and transition smoothly. The bookshelves look awesome too and you can select what page you want to show up as the cover and a bunch of other neat options. Free app too plus you get more stuff if you donate.

Reading the Secret Wars series on my phone right now.

True but I'm assuming after this, there will be no more X-Men comics (that is until they get the rights back). It seems like they're going to kill them off and use the Inhumans as replacements. I mean look at the Fantastic Four.

I could be wrong (as well as stupid).
Yeah, on a certain level it seems like they're cutting off their nose to spite their face. The fans lose, at least in the short run.

I use Perfect Viewer, much more customizable than other apps and works the best on my phone it seems. Comics load instantly and transition smoothly. The bookshelves look awesome too and you can select what page you want to show up as the cover and a bunch of other neat options. Free app too plus you get more stuff if you donate.

Reading the Secret Wars series on my phone right now.
partial to comic rack myself. pages load well and the "free" version isnt invasive at all with the ads. I tend to read comic in landscape mode anyway so it works out. and i can pick up where i left off if i have to close the app.

heres how it look on my Galaxy S6

YDxz8b2.jpg

KaiMS6E.jpg

uP4WoxP.jpg

wXdUgwD.jpg

3Xqnncl.jpg

Looks good. I had issues getting CR to setup right for me and there just seem to be more technical customization options on PV. PV does not look quite as 'polished' as CR does above though.

As long as it works! I love reading comics on my phone, it would actually be my preferred method over any given option I think, super convenient.

Looks good. I had issues getting CR to setup right for me and there just seem to be more technical customization options on PV. PV does not look quite as 'polished' as CR does above though.

As long as it works! I love reading comics on my phone, it would actually be my preferred method over any given option I think, super convenient.

Pretty much. Lol it helps my day go by at work. I'm always at my desk and most of the work I do is done via phone so in my down time I'll read comics. Caught up with Batman in 3/days, read all.of secret wars (minuanthe tie ins) in a day, starting up on some Batman tpbs just because.

@Dragonlordxxxxx Just wanted to throw in some quotes for your recommendations

Uncanny X Force is the first series I bought all the way through since I got back into comics a few years ago. Great cast and stories that I couldn't get enough of

Avengers Arena took a cast characters I barely knew and made me fans of several to the point I was genuinely sad when the follow up series was canceled and still keep an eye out for anything involving them

Back