Colin Oyama is send his Pro fighters to Amateur Muay Thai matches

It happens quite a lot in the socal amatuer scene. Sometimes even pro's fight good amateurs in amateur mma fights.

I think what's even worse skill wise is when true amatuer muay thai guys (no shins or headgear) fight in smokers just cause of the skill and experience. But even then there are exceptions and it's mostly the job of the corner to pick appropriate matchups and not feed an inexperienced guy to a lion.

I disagree that the smokers are worse. Smokers and inter-club competitions are invaluable for getting experience in front of a crowd without putting your record at risk. It's up to the coach to match guys up properly.

Pro guys competing in amateur events is disgraceful.

I disagree that the smokers are worse. Smokers and inter-club competitions are invaluable for getting experience in front of a crowd without putting your record at risk. It's up to the coach to match guys up properly.

Pro guys competing in amateur events is disgraceful.

how do the matchups for smokers work? wouldnt the coach on both sides try to downplay their fighter a bit so that theyre more likely to win and therefore make the school look better?

how do the matchups for smokers work? wouldnt the coach on both sides try to downplay their fighter a bit so that theyre more likely to win and therefore make the school look better?

In some cases that does happen, but it's a fairly small community and word travels fast. Smokers are typically based on goodwill and cooperation, for the benefit of all participants. That's the idea anyway.

thats not fair --but your guy shud be proud of himself

that happend to my friend his amature mma debut was to a guy who did like 10 semi pro fights (= no head shots on the ground) and he cam and did a amature (no headshots anywhere) event

my friend gave him a good fight ----and it was a draw --due to the rules

In some cases that does happen, but it's a fairly small community and word travels fast. Smokers are typically based on goodwill and cooperation, for the benefit of all participants. That's the idea anyway.

generally, how experienced are the people fighting in smokers? roughly how long have they been training?

and what kind of protective equipment do you wear? do you use 16oz gloves or smaller?

generally, how experienced are the people fighting in smokers? roughly how long have they been training?

and what kind of protective equipment do you wear? do you use 16oz gloves or smaller?

Smokers are basically a non-sanctioned amateur fight. "Glorified Sparring" is another term to describe it. It would be VERY bad form for a coach to under match his athlete in a smoker.

As someone above mentioned, the idea is mostly good-will and to get guys experience, bring some attention to the gym or athletes, and get guys used to fighting in front of a crowd. The talent level goes from sub-novice up to pro guys.

The protective equipment is based on where the event is held, but it's always been head gear and 16 oz gloves in the ones Ive competed in. Like I said, it's glorified sparring.

it may be glorified sparring, but im sure a lot of guys in their first fight come out swinging for the fences...

whats sub novice exactly? like 4 years?

it may be glorified sparring, but im sure a lot of guys in their first fight come out swinging for the fences...

whats sub novice exactly? like 4 years?

Not sure what your point is about the guys coming out swinging for the fences. Yes, you are going 100%, as you would for a normal fight. The difference is that the result doesnt count on your record, so there is less incentive for coaches to try to set somebody up. The protective equipment is usually larger gloves than what you would use in a fight.

"Sub-Novice" in amateur boxing is anyone registered with USA Boxing, but hasn't had their first sanctioned fight yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back