Colin Oyama is send his Pro fighters to Amateur Muay Thai matches

there is a fine line to this topic. i dont think its wrong for a pro mma guy with subpar handskils or with a few pro mma fights or boxing fights to fight amateur kickboxing to sharpen his skills. boxing mma and kickboxing are all different but i do think its wrong if they had over ten fights to fight one person who has only a few fights. i say this because sometimes i watch pro mma fighters and their striking is on an amateur level.

also i had a friend who got sandbagged in a grappling tournament. my friend was a noivce and he got put against a d1 college wrestler who fought mma

i don't agree or disagree. But i do think that you, your fight manager, or promoter SHOULD do some research on the person you are competing with and determine if it's a fair match up.

I'm not defending it but I think Colin does it to keep his guys competitive or to tune them up. A lot of pros compete in those tournaments to keep themselves up. Hell, Rampage fought my friend Val, who's amateur, at one of Rex's tournaments to get tuned up for K-1 against Abidi. I think it's okay and if it happens to be a big mismatch then the pro should go easier, like sparring. And you'd be surprised, I've actually seen the pros lose to the amateurs a few times at those matches.

I think Kru Rex does his best to match people up fairly because he wants the fights to be good.

If someone has fought pro mma, they shouldnt fight amateur mma. Same with muay thai. But I think its ok if you are a pro in mma or muay thai to have an amateur fight in the other if you arent an fighting at a high level. Maybee once you hit a certain number of pro fights, like 10 or so, you cant fight in amateur fights in any combat sport.

It happens quite a lot in the socal amatuer scene. Sometimes even pro's fight good amateurs in amateur mma fights.

I think what's even worse skill wise is when true amatuer muay thai guys (no shins or headgear) fight in smokers just cause of the skill and experience. But even then there are exceptions and it's mostly the job of the corner to pick appropriate matchups and not feed an inexperienced guy to a lion.

Is someone fights pro mma, should they be able to enter a wrestling match?

I can see what you are trying to say and agree to some extent, but like someone said just because he is pro at one discipline doesn't make him pro at another even though they are kind of related.

i think so he should not have gone up to the pro level. Thats like saying if someone enters the nfl his jr year and busts he should go back to college for another year. No sorry once you made the jump i dont think you should be able to go back

That is ridiculous though, if a guy makes a mistake and moves up to the professional level, ends up being destroyed he is stuck in the pro's?

I think it would be worse if a guy like Tyson stayed amateur for his life and destroyed people than it would be for someone to come back to the amateurs after finding out he couldn't cut it in the pro's

Their pro MMA fighters, not necessarily pro Muay Thai fighters.

no problem with "novice" pros (e.g. guys who have had only a few fights), but seasoned pros is another matter. regardless of the skill factor, their conditioning is going to be so far superior to the regular amateur guys.

i wouldnt mind at all. it's motivation to fight if i knew the guy was really a pro.

If the standup level is the same,i dont see a problem.

Because you are a pro in MMA doesnt mean you are a Pro-level Thai Boxer.

Should Royce Gracie be fight Pro Muay Thai matches? Lord, he'd get killed.

one you go pro in any fighting sports you gotta fight PRO...you can;t go down to ameteur!

Dispite the moral dillema that everybody points out. I believe it is incredibly important for fighters to compete as part of their training and unfortunately this isn't an easything to do at a proffessional level.

For a pro fighter to fight at least once a month is nearly impossible unless you have superb management team.

The amatuer level provides this and is very benificial to the pro fighters.

In my opinion the pros in amatuer division bring the level of amatuer sport higher and promote the change to pro level by other amatuers.

I also see the negatives of this, but unfortunately i don't have a good solution.

I def can see why the TS isn't happy, I wouldn't want to fight a pro level fighter with lots of experience in MMA for my first thai match. But then again just b/c your pro MMA doesn't mean your any good at thai boxing or whatever.

I see it both ways

I work with AM fighters and they are in a rush to move up. They sometimes only have a few AM fights and figure the might as well get paid. Not many are qualified and it really waters down the talent pool.

The organizer has the responsibility to ensure that the competitive landscape is fair. Rampage in with an AM is a joke. The promoter should have provided him a competent professional and let Rampage take his chances. Tune-up fights can be negotiated so a class 1 fighter does not have to fight an equally talented fighter for a tune-up but it should be real and competitive. That has to be the promise of the match-maker/promoter.

If you decide to switch striking styles as a pro, you need to switch as a pro. If you can not compete, then you do not fight you wait until ready. Maybe fight fans can enforce this issue by booing a known pro who fights AM. Promoters will hear that and might not want anything to do with it.

Jim Thorpe lost Olympic medals and his status because of this issue.

I see what everyone is saying, and people are proposing ideas like "once you have an X amount of pro fights, you shouldnt fight amateur...."

and there are also people bringing up examples of experienced guys in BJJ fighting in novice...

I think the problem is more people who are doing it just to win. I mean, if a pro wants to avoid ring rust and fights amateur not trying to kill the guy, I dont think its all that bad

and like someone previously said, it raises the level of competition.

However, if someone is intentionally falsifying his experience to fight easier guys to win, thats where it takes a different turn. Those are the situations we have to try and eliminate.... not sure how though. I dont think it'll ever be possible

I think that's total bullshit. Once you're a pro, you fight pro, and that's it.

agree 100%

I'm conflicted, obviously Fedor, GSP, Anderson Silva etc.. should not be fighting amateurs

But if X fighter gets paid $250 for a fight, goes out and gets destroyed should he be disqualified from amateur competition now?

this happened to a few buddies of mine. now they cant compete in amateur fights no more. it kinda sucks but thats what happens when you fight for money.

I entered a New England karate tournament way back and took my division. I never thought about the implications of taking the money ($250 for winning). I guess I am a pro?

Back