Cold shower recovery survey

I try to get the water everywhere, but I focus on the areas that I worked out the hardest.

I also generally end on hot to bring the blood back in and open the pores up and such.

Should I focus on trying to get the water on the body parts I just worked or worked hardest or just let the water hit wherever?

Should I end the shower on hot or cold or does it matter?

Thanks!

You can check out more info in a similar thread in the Conditioning section. From what I gathered, you expose the temperature treatment to the areas that you just worked on, and that you start out hot and end with cold, 5 cycles, 60s hot, 30-60s cold.

Ice baths are to reduce inflammation.

Contrast showers are to get blood flowing, reduce DOMs and soreness, and push out lactic acid and cell wastes for recovery.

Contrast showers have been shown to help the CNS recover too, like waking them up or giving them a stretch if you want to think of it like muscles. You want healthy muscles, you work them with exercise. You want to keep the CNS healthy, you work it and recover it. You're making your nerves respond to stimuli.

The blood flows because when the body is too hot, it tries to remove excess heat and cool down to achieve homeostasis (the state of being at normal temp/etc). To do this, blood vessels dilate (get wider) to carry hot blood to the skin. This is why skin will turn red (but not for black people due to pigment), it is the blood coming up to hit the surface and cool.

When you turn cold, the skin contracts to keep the heat form escaping to maintain that homeostasis. That's why the skin makes "goose bumps." It closes to keep hot blood near the core.

Going back and forth makes the blood move around, like any active recovery work.

I used to take 15 minute cold shower after workouts and find it better for recovery than hot. I know Wandy and Lesnar dip in ice water bath afterward. Now an interesting article in the Condition section got my attention. Basically, it says if you do a 1 minute hot shower and 30 sec cold shower and cycle it 5 times, you'll get latic acid out of your body faster and recover faster. But with this method, you basically spend only two and a half minutes in cold water.

Just want a quick survey of what the S&P people do after workout regarding this and what you found to be most effective. Thanks.

I do 30/30 for five minutes. I find it to be a key aspect to recovery.

well I fill the bathtub up with the coldest the water will go, then sit in it for a while, then once I can't stand the shivering anymore I stand up and turn the hot shower on.

Every shower I take is a contrast shower.
It removes lactic acid, elevates mood, boosts immune system, helps circulation, and its good for the skin.
So they're greeeaat!
The more you take them the better they feel. At first they'll probably suck a bit.
Try to keep a normal breathing pattern when you're blasting yourself with cold water, it will help.

You realize of course that this thread is a year and a half old...

I thought that the body adapts to the contrast shower and it loses its effect if you do it often without varying it much?

I like contrast showers, I do feel it is helpful for recovery, and it makes me feel like a new man afterwards.
60 seconds scalding hot 60 seconds as cold as it goes, at least 3 times. It always makes me really hungry afterwards too...

This thread is so old, it has a Carnal post in it.

And I still have yet to see a conclusive study on the effects of contrast showers.

I have found it very useful as part of my recovery.

As well as contrast showers I also like to alternate between several minutes in a steam room and a cold shower for a few cycles.

I try and set aside time for this on my more strenuous lifting days in particular.

I did contrast showers when I did smolov for a month. I don't know how much it really helped. All I can say is that it did generally make me feel pretty good afterwords. I don't mean I enjoyed the cold water (I'm not a psychopath) but that it made my muscles feel good. Does that mean it helped? Not really. But I'll probably use them during my next session of 20 rep squats.

I do enjoy contrast showers... The shrinks said that I'm a sociopath with paranoid delusions, but they were just out to get me 'cause I threatened to kill 'em.

I always thought that premise behind contract showers was that it supposedly shocks your CNS and makes you feel recovered.

I didn't think it had anything to do with lactic acid or healing muscles or whatever..

Back