Cold shower recovery survey

dfoster

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I used to take 15 minute cold shower after workouts and find it better for recovery than hot. I know Wandy and Lesnar dip in ice water bath afterward. Now an interesting article in the Condition section got my attention. Basically, it says if you do a 1 minute hot shower and 30 sec cold shower and cycle it 5 times, you'll get latic acid out of your body faster and recover faster. But with this method, you basically spend only two and a half minutes in cold water.

Just want a quick survey of what the S&P people do after workout regarding this and what you found to be most effective. Thanks.

I believe the alternation in temperatures is used because hot and cold both have a different effect on how the blood moves, thus moving fresh blood "back and forth".

I'm actually not completely sure, so take what I said above with a grain of salt...

I do contrast showers: hot, cold, hot, and sometimes cold, hot again. I think it helps to reduce DOMS, but it could just be placebo effect.

I do contrast showers: hot, cold, hot, and sometimes cold, hot again. I think it helps to reduce DOMS, but it could just be placebo effect.

No, that's a well documented recovery technique that many great lifters use and have used.

Some Weightlifters and Strongmen take ice baths, as a sort of side note.

Yeah, I tried the 1 min hot/30s cold thing last night, woke up this morning and wasn't sure if it was better than the straight up 15 minute cold. Then again, I had a very hard session beforehand. It's so hard to test these things.

As have been said already it is called a contrast shower.

Personally, I’ve tried contrast showers a few times, but didn’t really feel a difference. It is interesting to note though, that I seem to have rather little feeling in my lower back. When the ice cold water runs over my lower back, I can’t feel a thing, but when it gets to my thighs I want to scream like a little girl.

At the end of each shower, I make the water as cold as possible and run the water against my back and legs.

I am not entirely sure how much it helps.

I guess I need to talk some chick into giving me lower back massages then, 'cause I get quite tight and sore, and don't really feel the difference from the showers.

I find that the hotter and colder I get the water, the better. Like here at home, the water temp dont vary as much as in at the Y or down at school. Still helps a bit, tho.

And thanx, Carnal. I know I'd picked it up on this board at some point, but I remember discussions questionin' it's usefulness.

As have been said already it is called a contrast shower.

I know, but I'm asking about cold showering/ice bath after workout in general and trying to get the consensus on which is the most effective for people. Also I'm still reluctant to use the term here because it's not descriptive enough for my purposes since the length of the hot/cold period varies between 1min/30s and 1-5min from various sources. So I'd rather be specific when I refer to them.

Ice baths actually made me feel MORE stiff and sore the following day. But contrast showers are a gift from Krom.

ive never done this but im gunna give it a shot.

no flame at all, but, supposedly enjoying cold showers is one of the signs that you're a psychopath or follow the patterns of a psychopath

no flame at all, but, supposedly enjoying cold showers is one of the signs that you're a psychopath or follow the patterns of a psychopath

That pretty much describes most of the S&P regulars.

I used contrast showers when I would get really sore. I haven't used them lately though for whatever reason. I was able to tell a big difference. It's like the soreness goes away and is replaced by a dull numbness. It's kinda hard to explain, but it definitely helps and feels a lot better than being sore.

Back