Colby says his shots at Usman were deserved, Leon got handed his title wins

And Leon's had 3 fights and 1 NC in 4 1/2 years. Colby hasn't been very active since he got his shot at Usman, but he did beat #7, #3, #1, got stripped of an interim title for needing surgery and had to fight Lawler for the title shot he'd already earned, then fought #5 Wooley, and #6 Masvidal to keep his place. Leon got a split decision over Gunnar Nelson, beat RDA who was #4, then took 2 years off, poked Belal's eyes out 2 seconds into the 2nd round, was stumbling and bumbling all over the cage to not get finished by Nate Diaz.

If anybody's going to claim Colby got an easy path to the title, it sure as hell shouldn't be Leon.
Leon took fights, Colby didn't. Their inactivity is not the same

Yeah that's nice his current shot is not deserved. Everyone understands the argument about people getting shots because their the only one to fight a dominant champ close. That's all good and well but once that dominant champ goes away that becomes irelevant. Martys gone now and Colby's last win over an active fighter was in 2018. Over 5 and a half years ago.

There was an element of luck in Leon beating Marty twice, Marty was very close to being 2-0 against Edwards too. But I don't know how that constitutes "not deserving". Even in the 2nd Marty fight Edwards fought well even if he was going to lose 4-1 or 3-2 if he didn't catch him. He succeeded twice at the thing Colby got credit for almost doing twice.

I like Edwards and don't like Colby. Just being transparent.

Colby Covington has received flack for getting a title shot after losing twice to then-champ Kamaru Usman. But Covington says he's already proven what he deserves and Edwards is the one who cherrypicked his way here:

“He had the right matchups at the right time to get to that point in his career,” Covington told UFC.com “He fought a lightweight washout in Nate Diaz, and sat out almost two years to get his title shot. I don’t think he warranted
getting a title shot after beating that guy. "But he just cried ‘I deserve this, I deserve that’ instead of just going out there and working for it, or earning it like I did. I had to earn it the hard way. No one gave me this spot to fight for
the undisputed title. I had to earn it. I had to go the unconventional way because the straight-ahead way wasn’t available. He didn’t earn anything the hard way like I did, and Dec. 16 he’s going to find out that he’s going to get
broken by the American dream.”

Covington hasn’t competed since March 2022, but the former interim champ said it wasn’t by choice. Covington did weigh in as a backup for Edwards’ title-fight rematch with Usman at UFC 286 this past March, but his services
weren’t needed:

“This sitting out bullshit has been tough, because I’ve wanted to fight,” Covington established. "Every fight I’ve accepted."

Furthermore, Covington is positive that Edwards’ knockout win to become champion was a result of the damage caused by Covington at UFC 245 and UFC 268:

“No doubt about it, I took the fight out of Usman. I head kicked him and had him on wobbly legs, then he calls timeout. It’s not like Leon did something that I hadn’t already done before him.”

Thoughts?

I've read a lot of deranged, self-serving nonsense from fighters over the years.

This is right up there as some of the most delusional and inverted bullshit I've ever read.

I hope Rocky absolutely starches this clown.

No one sits out more than Colby who is getting a titleshot after defeating a retiring Masvidal and losing to Usman a second time.

Who is he to talk shit?

Colby is the ultimate troll. He'll say whatever it takes to get him noticed.

Looking forward to the upcoming WW Entitled fight.

WAR COLBY!

Back