Colby says his shots at Usman were deserved, Leon got handed his title wins

Unheralded Truth

Brown Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Colby Covington has received flack for getting a title shot after losing twice to then-champ Kamaru Usman. But Covington says he's already proven what he deserves and Edwards is the one who cherrypicked his way here:

“He had the right matchups at the right time to get to that point in his career,” Covington told UFC.com “He fought a lightweight washout in Nate Diaz, and sat out almost two years to get his title shot. I don’t think he warranted
getting a title shot after beating that guy. "But he just cried ‘I deserve this, I deserve that’ instead of just going out there and working for it, or earning it like I did. I had to earn it the hard way. No one gave me this spot to fight for
the undisputed title. I had to earn it. I had to go the unconventional way because the straight-ahead way wasn’t available. He didn’t earn anything the hard way like I did, and Dec. 16 he’s going to find out that he’s going to get
broken by the American dream.”

Covington hasn’t competed since March 2022, but the former interim champ said it wasn’t by choice. Covington did weigh in as a backup for Edwards’ title-fight rematch with Usman at UFC 286 this past March, but his services
weren’t needed:

“This sitting out bullshit has been tough, because I’ve wanted to fight,” Covington established. "Every fight I’ve accepted."

Furthermore, Covington is positive that Edwards’ knockout win to become champion was a result of the damage caused by Covington at UFC 245 and UFC 268:

“No doubt about it, I took the fight out of Usman. I head kicked him and had him on wobbly legs, then he calls timeout. It’s not like Leon did something that I hadn’t already done before him.”

Thoughts?

Colby is up there with chael in the bullshit department but I appreciate he at least puts in the effort to draw interest.
The guy did grind, particularly in the promotional aspect. For a long time the shtick wasn't working as intended but he kept at it. He's full of shit , even he knows it but fuck it. It worked

He’s getting a title shot after having 2 cracks at the title and loosing both , now he’s getting yet another shot after lightning the world on fire by going 2-2 in the last 4 years .
Probably not the guy who should be throwing the word “ deserved “ around

giphy.gif

Well deserved once King Colby gets the Title.

I mean even if he loses then nothing will change anyways, he will always be 1 win away from a ts

I'm honestly not sure if he intentionally says hypocritical shit to rile people up or if he's genuinely delusional about those fights with Usman.

“This sitting out bullshit has been tough, because I’ve wanted to fight,” Covington established. "Every fight I’ve accepted."
Other quote from Colby that I'm certain he just says to rile people up.

Dude sets the standard for being a rank squatting diva but he claims he's out here accepting all these fights that just can't get put together for some reason.

I get it that some people like Colby for his little corny persona but his rank squatting BS is the main reason I can't stand him. THe UFC puts the whole division on hold for this dumb clown. For those of us who actually care to see the best fight the best Belal and Shavkat aren't gonna be fighting for the belt for another 4 years at this rate.

Colby got his face broken in his title shot
His teeth broken in front of a restaurant
Let's see what they break him next

Colby got his face broken in his title shot
His teeth broken in front of a restaurant
Let's see what they break him next
You say this like this somehow makes him weak. Dude fought with a broken jaw. He got jumped. There’s legit reasons to make fun of Colby. There’s legit reasons to be critical of Colby. This ain’t it tho.

Having said that, you all know he got his shot for dropping the case.

I mean they both don't have good track records for being active. To me the division feels fake until Shavkat finally gets his title shot, like this is a waste of time. If they back it up longer with Islam getting a title shot I am going to lose it even more.

"Sitting out has been tough"

Dude fought 1x in 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022, and is barely squeaking a 2023 fight in. Even 2019 he only fought twice, dude hasn't been an "active fighter" since 2017. Definitely used to sitting out.

Colby's only skill is being a douchebag troll for the camera's. I mean... outside of being a world class fighter of course lol.

"Sitting out has been tough"

Dude fought 1x in 2018, 2020, 2021, 2022, and is barely squeaking a 2023 fight in. Even 2019 he only fought twice, dude hasn't been an "active fighter" since 2017. Definitely used to sitting out.

Colby's only skill is being a douchebag troll for the camera's. I mean... outside of being a world class fighter of course lol.
And Leon's had 3 fights and 1 NC in 4 1/2 years. Colby hasn't been very active since he got his shot at Usman, but he did beat #7, #3, #1, got stripped of an interim title for needing surgery and had to fight Lawler for the title shot he'd already earned, then fought #5 Wooley, and #6 Masvidal to keep his place. Leon got a split decision over Gunnar Nelson, beat RDA who was #4, then took 2 years off, poked Belal's eyes out 2 seconds into the 2nd round, was stumbling and bumbling all over the cage to not get finished by Nate Diaz.

If anybody's going to claim Colby got an easy path to the title, it sure as hell shouldn't be Leon.

Well, I guess that makes it official.

Colby actually is dumber than his fanbase.

Back