Cody has to move weight classes...no love for 145?

I read Garbrandt and Might Mouse weighed in the same on the day of the fight. Cody should move to 125.

He'd be better off at 125. He won't fare well against power shots at 145 and he plays a risky game by staying in the pocket and throwing heavy.

TJ ain't going to 125 for Cejudo.
Not yet at least.
TJ wanted 2 things from a Mighty Mouse fight:
(1) MONEY
(2) beat #1 p4p

Cejudo offers neither .

Cody did offer to fight Edgar at 145 a few months back, so it is obviously on his mind. I think Cody walking around out of camp at 148 these days, instead of the low 160s like he use to prior to the first TJ fight, might be what his issue his, along with keeping his left hand low when throwing his right hand, and getting too emotional when exchanging punches with TJ. A move to 145 might be a good thing for Cody in the future, that way he can go back to his more natural walk around weight of 160s. He's a young guy, so he has time to correct the left hand issue, get his emotions in check, and move up to 145.

I would not recommend 145 for Cody unless it was a money fight rematch with Jean-Claude Van Damme.

After the weigh in threads that are coming up is more likely he could go to 125.

His chin isn't holding up at 135, imagine at 145.
He wouldn't be top 5 at 145.

if cruz gets the next title shot and pulls off yet another win over tj, i can see cody getting an immediate title shot, since he already holds a win over cruz.

otherwise, i think a move to 125 would be right for cody.

You're not wrong, but the division will just go in circles in that case. My money's on a move to 125 for Cody.

He needs a new team, one that would not only tighten up his striking, but work on gameplans and sports psychology. TriStar would be a great fit.

He's too light for 135 and has short arms.
Doesn't use the roids like gyno TJ.
After those knockouts he needs to work on his neck muscles. Tuck his chin. Fix his defense and start closing his mouth while throwing.
He should try to get the belt at 125 and come back to 135 after that.
TJ is already 32 and although starting late at MMA (6 years after Cruz, who is actually 1 month younger) he will lose some speed from 33 on.
Garbrandt is 5 years younger.

Garbrandt got a pretty easy road to the title and hasn't fought much of 135's top 10. He has plenty of fights left there.

He would have t-rex arms and can't make up for it with a grapple heavy style. 145 has extreme weight cutters like Ortega and Holloway.

He's got a thin frame, 135 is probably the right weight for him.

Just because he weighed 142 on fight day doesn't mean much to me. Some guys feel slow if they eat and drink too much after weigh in.

I think he stays. 1 fight gets you back in the game. If Cruz can beat TJ again, that is suddenly a big rematch for Cody.

Back