Economy CNBC: China to halve retaliatory tariffs on hundreds of US goods worth about $75 billion

bobgeese

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
  • Retaliatory duties on some U.S. goods will be cut from 10% to 5%, and from 5% to 2.5% on others, according to a statement from China’s Ministry of Finance. The adjustments will take effect from 1:01 p.m on Feb. 14, it said, without specifying which time zone it was referring to.
  • The statement said the move was made in order to “advance the healthy and stable development of China-U.S. trade.”
  • China said that the next adjustment will depend on how Sino-U.S. trade ties evolve, adding it hopes to work with Washington to completely eliminate all tariff increases.

China on Thursday announced that it will halve tariffs on hundreds of U.S. goods worth about $75 billion.

After the cut, duties on U.S. crude will be reduced to 2.5%, from 5%, and the tariff on soybeans will be trimmed by 2.5%.

The statement on the Ministry of Finance website said the move was made in order to “advance the healthy and stable development of China-U.S. trade.”

“Who knows the exact motivations, I mean that’s quite plausible, that they’re under (economic) pressure. But I think the development is very welcome because you know, that language suggests that there is a bit of an olive branch here. And a bit of a desire to move forward beyond the phase one and possibly take on phase two,” said Kingsley Jones, chief investment officer at Jevons Global

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/06/china-to-halve-tariffs-on-hundreds-of-us-goods.html

China continues to lose this trade war.

PS, Why couldn’t Obama do any of this stuff?

Shut up stupid. How convenient for US markets this virus outbreak is, isn't it. I would love to see this happening in America instead...

They're attempting to soften the looming financial crisis due to their new virus.

If only Obama engineered a deadly, incurable, and contagious virus and unleashed it on the Chinese population.

What a pussy.

Are they still importing Corona?

Shut up stupid. How convenient for US markets this virus outbreak is, isn't it. I would love to see this happening in America instead...
You'd love to see a virus outbreak in America? Way to show your true colors. Definitely not a complete hunk of shit.

Either you're American and you're wishing harm on your own country because a president from the other "team" is in office, or you have TDS and you don't even live here. Either way is just pathetic.

If only Obama engineered a deadly, incurable, and contagious virus and unleashed it on the Chinese population.

What a pussy.

Trump engineered the flu. China's foot was a balloon.

A separate article on the website noted the cut in tariffs was timed in conjunction with a U.S. decision in January to halve tariffs on Feb. 14 for $120 billion of Chinese goods — from 15% to 7.5%.

Seems a pretty important detail to leave out.

giphy.webp

A separate article on the website noted the cut in tariffs was timed in conjunction with a U.S. decision in January to halve tariffs on Feb. 14 for $120 billion of Chinese goods — from 15% to 7.5%.

I thought that was somewhere in the article.

Anyway, that would make sense. China has realized America is done fucking around (don’t think for a second they don’t notice Chuck Schumer backing up Trump in his decisions), and our economy is in a stronger position than theirs. They’ve been slowly de-escalating tensions and making concessions, even if we have to drag it out of them and call their bluffs.

But make no mistake, this is a decades long battle ahead.

I thought that was somewhere in the article.

Anyway, that would make sense. China has realized America is done fucking around (don’t think for a second they don’t notice Chuck Schumer backing up Trump in his decisions), and our economy is in a stronger position than theirs. They’ve been slowly de-escalating tensions and making concessions, even if we have to drag it out of them and call their bluffs.

But make no mistake, this is a decades long battle ahead.

I didn´t have to be a decade long battle if Trump had gone about it the smarter way

What I find interesting about the trade war is that for years economic orthodoxy has been saying that tariffs would only result in companies raising their prices to maintain the same profit margins they had before the tariffs. Yet since the trade war began corporate profits are down, wages are up, and inflation is low.

What a pussy.

Tell us more about how Trump created 2019-nCoV. What evidence do you have for this radical assertion?

What a pussy.

The Obama admin was big on virus prevention. Particularly stuxnet.

Why? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Both sides reducing tariffs is part of the stage 1 agreement drafted last year, no?

I didn´t have to be a decade long battle if Trump had gone about it the smarter way

You're right, if only Trump was better at this, he could have solved this all on his 1st day.

What a slouch! Low Energy! Sad!

Back