1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »

CM Punk Is An Experiment.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by King Cobra, Aug 17, 2015.

1. Singlelegsweep Blue Belt

Could be right, I just remember at the start of his MMA stint Bas was and a couple other mid level mma fighters were working with him, and I watched TUF 10 and it seemed like he was working his ass off. I thought it was a little shitty he got matched with Roy who has an iron chin and (at the time) really legit top game and it kind of annoyed me that before the fight Roy admitted he was going to put him in the crucifix and hardly tap him "because the ref needs to stop it, even if I'm hardly tapping him he needs to stop it, especially if you start counting your punches, it puts them on the spot" and then he complained to the ref for not stopping the fight when he was hitting him with the absolute weakest fist bumps I've ever seen.

2. Strikes Again Banned Banned

Are you implying that because he fought and lost to a man with an education, that he was not one of the top hand to hand fighters in a world of 6 billion people?
    You are such a mark.

3. MazzagattisTash Orange Belt

I thought about it.

Against someone who'll actually try to block it.

I would like to see how he reacts when he gets punched in the face for real.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2015
  4. BabyBlue_Bomber Black Belt

I've never thought of CM Punk as a great athlete, but he was one of the most technically sound in-ring performers I've had the pleasure of watching. He did have a few high flying spots in his day, but for the most part he was a solid mat-wrestler and did everything perfectly. That comes from training and hard work, and I think Punk is definitely making the most of his time in the gym.

5. tipofmitt Orange Belt

Just him rolling with the Gracies for years puts him above average in my mind. He'll do okay...

6. panamaican Senior Moderator Staff Member Senior Moderator

Agreed.

There's a huge difference between being in great shape and having great athletic ability. Both of which are completely different from having great technical skill honed by years of hard work.

I get the impression Sherdog thinks that technical skill requires athleticism and that people in great shape must also be great athletes.

7. King Cobra Purple Belt

Lesnar dropped Couture with a punch because of a feint.

I am sure Punk can learn how to throw feints so he can follow up with a head kick.

8. savemgs Black Belt

you do know CM Punk is not exactly the average person.

9. Whippy McGee Meme Master

Any Top 40 fighter with cardio will destroy him.

10. MagnusGOAT Make America Great Britain again.

Brock Lesnar was already an NCAA Division I wrestler that took punches like a bitch.

11. Trybz Blue Belt

No it was a joke referring to him losing to Kevin James in a movie obviously went over yer head