• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Opinion Climate denial has shifted to Climate doomerism

What exactly can we do about climate change? Cutting carbon emissions? What measurable affect do models show that this has? Buys us a few years at best.

If we want to control the climate we need massive investment to produce new technologies--but for some reason, there's very little effort in that area. The reason: because if we devised a way to actively eliminate the problem, the ruling class couldn't use the problem to control us.

You see this approach all the time, it's why the right never passes meaningful immigration reform, and why the left never agrees to fix the minimum wage to inflation. They both want a problem to scare or bribe you into compliance.

I don't see why they can't just buy new EVs, replace their heating with electric and get rid of their old gas appliances. Your grandma gave up Aqua net to save the world once, you can't come up with 100K to save it once more?
Don't forget about bugs. Eating bugs fixes the climate

What do you mean? It’s coming right, no question about that?

So shouldn’t we start working on how to survive it?
Shouldn't you be in the Ukraine thread complaining about Raytheon?

40 years of data and the world is basically the exact same other than less pollution due to transportation innovation. It's not an emergency, not even close. It's just people tricking you into thinking there is a crisis happening.

If you want to live in abject fear of normal up and down weather patterns, then be my guest. I'll go on living a happy life and you can go on stressing out about the sky. I mean it's no wonder people these days have so many issues with anxiety.

The people in office are the real danger here. Not the weather.
The world is not "basically the exact same". What a fuckwit. Are you 18 years old? No experience with the world whatsoever?

Climate change is destabilizing the Jet Stream and that's the cause of these heat domes and polar vortices we've been experiencing in the past several years. Climate change is the one and only cause of these phenomena.

Last edited:
What exactly can we do about climate change? Cutting carbon emissions? What measurable affect do models show that this has? Buys us a few years at best.

If we want to control the climate we need massive investment to produce new technologies--but for some reason, there's very little effort in that area. The reason: because if we devised a way to actively eliminate the problem, the ruling class couldn't use the problem to control us.

You see this approach all the time, it's why the right never passes meaningful immigration reform, and why the left never agrees to fix the minimum wage to inflation. They both want a problem to scare or bribe you into compliance.

As demonstrated in the MPU video about water in AZ, reigning in the Corporations is at the heart of what needs to be done. First dispelling the myth that the American corporation is the cornerstone of our society and economic security, and then diminishing their political influence. And I don't give a sh*t which "side" that pertains to.

Yeah anyone who has any experience in the waste industry knows that a lot of things that were designed in order to preserve the environment are more harmful than the utilities they were meant to replace.

Over 10,000 tons of PV panel waste gets dumped on the shores of Africa every year. I think 10,000 was in 2019 and it goes up every year. The shit that comes out of those things is Fallout 3 tier stuff.

I work in the waste industry and I've gotten a front row seat to how wasteful humans are, and how dangerous that wasteful thinking is. Over the past 15 years I've become very sensitive to that kind of thing, and have reformed my lifestyle considerably. It really bothers me because I go to such painful measures to reduce my own waste and water consumption, and I know that for every person like me, there's got to be at least 1,000 who absolutely don't give a shit. When I see someone being completely thoughtless about consumption, litter, etc and then start multiplying that by like 300 million it makes my heart race. So when people see what I say in the above, a lot of them will think I'm "on the right" and that I don't care about the planet or the environment, but they're wrong.

The problem is the presented solutions are fucking awful. The only thing they do is make the individual person feel better about themselves. If one of your panels cracks, you can't fix it. You have to replace the whole damn unit. Guess where that cracked unit goes, gracious green do-gooder?

And to pre-empt any of the mouth breathers who are going to quote me and distort what I'm saying, I'm not saying that the current model works either. Only that the proposed one is worse.
This argues strongly in favor of great emphasis on reducing consumption, wouldn't you say?

Isn't that what the recycle/reuse/reduce people have been preaching for four decades?

I appreciate it. There are so many occasions where I think the true answer is either "somewhere in the middle of this" or "Neither of these." This is largely why I have difficulty siding with either corner in the American political arena. That's why someone like AOC (Aside from the fact that I HAVE THE HOTS FOR HER) is a bit of a quandary because what she wants is noble--- environmental solutions that help the planet. But she doesn't know the path to get to that. And I'm not saying I do, but even with the limited experience I have it's painfully obvious that the answers they're supplying won't work.

Another thing that is going to land on us is the fact that many PVP devices are going to expire around the same time. Average life span of a photovoltaic panel is between 15-25 years. I don't know enough about EV batteries to talk about it but I'd imagine later on we'll be facing a similar problem if EV sales go up.
Fu4vyDraQAARzmQ.jpeg
yea, me too.

This argues strongly in favor of great emphasis on reducing consumption, wouldn't you say?

Isn't that what the recycle/reuse/reduce people have been preaching for four decades?
I wouldn't say that, and the people who run and oversee recycling don't care about what you think they care about

Please tell me this is shopped, or AI or fucking anything, I don't want to admit this is real
Oh, it's real alright.
"Researched" it and everything.
She's 5 4, 121 lbs, 36-24-36
boasting glorious 34D's.
u6yxrcu80n991.jpg

Given that you have trivial and completely incorrect understanding of the issue, I'll continue to listen to the actual scientists on the subject, but you can continue to be ignorant if you want.

Also, despite what you guys believe, the solution to this problem doesn't really involve everyday people handing over money or rights. In fact, most of the solutions would improve the lives of everyday people. The scam is you being convinced of that nonsense so you'll continue to vote against your best interests.

IMG-4880.jpg

Instead of outright denying the earth's climate is changing. The new movement is to deny that there is anything that we can do about it.

Now this place is always about 2 years behind on cultural issues so expect to see these sentiments here in the future.

Simon Clarke is currently studying for his PhD in atmospheric physics.

This is a total red herring.
No one ever said the climate wasn't changing. They just said we aren't to blame for it. It's always been changing for longer than history has been recorded.

Says a lot when the people pushing this horse shit have to throw out these red herrings in an attempt to shit over those that don't fall for and follow their agenda.

I have never denied that the climate is changing. I have only denied that there is an apocalypse around the corner, and that it can only be prevented via totalitarian communism and mass starvation.

Talk about a red herring...

I have never denied that the climate is changing. I have only denied that there is an apocalypse around the corner, and that it can only be prevented via totalitarian communism and mass starvation.
It can be addressed, and I agree that it would take a global collaborative effort if that's what you're getting at. I don't think it would necessarily require totalitarian communism, although I would agree if you were worried that it could easily slide into that.

In a perfect world people would be mindful of 1) how much they eat and 2) how much they leave behind. Not a law but an individual sense of obligation and a collective pride. People in general have become lazy (maybe demoralized is a better term) with a tremendous lack of foresight. People don't even bother saving for retirement, so getting them to even think about saving the environment is a very tall order.

The truth is that the best way to help the earth is to eliminate poverty as much as possible. When people don't have to worry about what they're going to eat today, they can start thinking about other things. I'm not saying that it's a realistic goal and I make no implication about how we would go about it. But I do believe it's true

The world is not "basically the exact same". What a fuckwit. Are you 18 years old? No experience with the world whatsoever?

Climate change is destabilizing the Jet Stream and that's the cause of these heat domes and polar vortices we've been experiencing in the past several years. Climate change is the one and only cause of these phenomena.
Hmm, sounds bad. Any chance you've come across current or ongoing quantitative descriptions of how out of whack it is? I could see either a "how many days out of the year is it out of whack beyond what is understood to be its long-term natural deviation" compared to dates in the past type of thing, or maybe a "percent of whacked-outedness vs a previous state of 100% in whack" over a certain time period like a year for example.

Asking because I have heard about this in passing but haven't come across quantitative values describing the scope of the issue.

Just a note, you have those three listed in ascending order of effectiveness contrary to the initial instructive of "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle"

Reduce is king as @WhiteMousse mentioned

Back