Clean Form Check

BobVulture

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score

skip to :45 for the lift

skip to 1:00 for the lift

Just got back from school, meaning I can attempt weightlifting again. This is the first heavy cleaning session I've had in a while and I felt like my technique was pretty solid. Although I know to the untrained eye anything can look good, so I'd love to get feedback from you guys. I have six weeks till school starts again so any tips will be greatly appreciated.

You're leaving a lot of power on the table with your hips. You never even come close to fully extending. At the peak, I'd say you're still at least six inches behind the bar when your hips should be into the bar.

I'd consider working from blocks from right above the knee to help start to fix this.

Your elbows are also really slow. Snap them through there.

Everything else isn't too bad.

I'm on the phone so it's hard to make out everything clearly but I have to agree with Jake about shortchanging your power from the hip.
My go to for this is implementing a day of heavy power or high catch cleans.

Would also like to see some video from side on and directly head on. I feel your sweep and set up could maybe benefit from some tweaking but it's hard to be sure.

You're leaving a lot of power on the table with your hips. You never even come close to fully extending. At the peak, I'd say you're still at least six inches behind the bar when your hips should be into the bar.

I'd consider working from blocks from right above the knee to help start to fix this.

Your elbows are also really slow. Snap them through there.

Everything else isn't too bad.

Would hang cleans be ok? I don't have anything I could use for blocks at that height. Thanks for the advice, I would have never even thought about my elbows otherwise.

I'm on the phone so it's hard to make out everything clearly but I have to agree with Jake about shortchanging your power from the hip.
My go to for this is implementing a day of heavy power or high catch cleans.

Would also like to see some video from side on and directly head on. I feel your sweep and set up could maybe benefit from some tweaking but it's hard to be sure.

Thanks for taking a look. I'll try to get some other angles, I'm currently lifting in my basement which is a little cluttered but I'll figure something out.

Yeah, hang cleans could work, as well. Just really concentrate on your extension.

If you can get that ironed out, I think you'll find that those weights become much, much easier and your positioning will get way better.

Is my extension any better here? These definitely felt a good amount easier.

first rep :35 second rep 1:10

skip to :40

Second set of videos look much better but you're still cutting your hip extension a little short.

Maybe try doing some clean high pulls and focus on really driving your hips forward into the bar and exaggerating the second pull, getting the bar as high as you can using minimal bicep strength.

And you're trying to do power cleans right? For full cleans you have to pull higher and squat deeper.

The second videos look better. I'd start with the bar a hair or two further away but your extension is getting there. Just keep working it and it'll come.

And you're trying to do power cleans right? For full cleans you have to pull higher and squat deeper.
Actually, no, you don't have to pull it higher for full cleans. When you're doing a full clean, you don't pull the bar any higher than is necessary.

SON OF A MONKEY BITCH!!

I had literally a four paragraph response of input and hit the wrong key and it closed the browser..... this is bullshit. Okay I've got to run to yoga, will re-type when I get back..... man....

SON OF A MONKEY BITCH!!

I had literally a four paragraph response of input and hit the wrong key and it closed the browser..... this is bullshit. Okay I've got to run to yoga, will re-type when I get back..... man....

Lol thats sucks, regardless thanks for the look and I eagerly await your input.

Righto, let's try this again.

So, I like the last video a lot more. You're meeting the bar a good bit better with less crash. Or, you're going to the bar more so than just letting it land on you.

I still feel as if though you're a bit forward through the whole lift. As if though the entire time you're working from your mid-foot.

Note the way in which, in the last video, your chest comes forward a good bit past your center of base to catch the bar. This can be a combination of things but the root cause is likely being forward on the lift and also "hesitating" after punching your hips to then retreat them into the catch. There can be no hesisation after the punch in retreating the hips down onto the heels for the catch. There is no back and forth, only up and down. Snap the bar right up the shirt into the catch.

I'd like to see you open up your stance a bit in the beginning. As in, moving your heels away from each other a bit. Not a crazy amount, just an inch or two. Then get some video working from that set up int he above view and directly side on.

I'd really like to see some side on video to get a better idea of your sweep. I have a feeling, due to you being predisposed to coming forward by being on your mid foot, that your sweep is less than optimal and is being masked by you simply driving your chest up as opposed to having an "active sweep".

From the very start of the lift the bar needs to be moving in towards the hip. Being "swept" in. At light weight and by a lot of beginners a less than great sweep can be hidden pretty easily on the clean by just pushing your chest up.

To get a good idea of how well you're staying on your heels try some toe-unsupported high catches in either the snatch or the clean. Get something, preferably a square of stall mating, that will only elevate you 1/2-3/4 of an inch. Set up like you would for a normal lift but place your feet so that the ball of your foot is on the edge of the mat, your big toe completely unsupported. These are done very lightly at first. 50%, even.

This is a good opportunity to work on pushing your knees back onto your heels and sweeping the bar in towards the pocket.

I'm a bit scatter brained today. Hope that makes sense. Will review it later and see if I can make it more understandable.

This is a clean progression that I like:

They talk about the sweep, high pull, and catch. This is the way that I coach.

On a general WLing note it's important to remember that most coaches have their own "style". The way in which they communicate what they'd like you to do. My style is one where if it can be caught in a high catch it will with the lifter going where they need to be to catch the bar with no regards to power and "full" with the lifter driving through the heels as long as possible in all of the lifts. It doesn't mean one way is right or wrong I'm just throwing it out there to try and explain why some of my cues/input might sound differently from say, Jake's or Eric's. Even though we all pretty much agree on everything.

Find what cues and corrective exercises work for you, and use them.

Actually, no, you don't have to pull it higher for full cleans. When you're doing a full clean, you don't pull the bar any higher than is necessary.

Ok. I feel like I have to pull higher on full cleans to give myself more room to drop under the bar, but maybe that's an illusion or just means I under-pull my power cleans. I don't really like power cleans anyway, so I switched to only doing full squat cleans as soon as I could.

Righto, let's try this again.

So, I like the last video a lot more. You're meeting the bar a good bit better with less crash. Or, you're going to the bar more so than just letting it land on you.

I still feel as if though you're a bit forward through the whole lift. As if though the entire time you're working from your mid-foot.

Note the way in which, in the last video, your chest comes forward a good bit past your center of base to catch the bar. This can be a combination of things but the root cause is likely being forward on the lift and also "hesitating" after punching your hips to then retreat them into the catch. There can be no hesisation after the punch in retreating the hips down onto the heels for the catch. There is no back and forth, only up and down. Snap the bar right up the shirt into the catch.

I'd like to see you open up your stance a bit in the beginning. As in, moving your heels away from each other a bit. Not a crazy amount, just an inch or two. Then get some video working from that set up int he above view and directly side on.

I'd really like to see some side on video to get a better idea of your sweep. I have a feeling, due to you being predisposed to coming forward by being on your mid foot, that your sweep is less than optimal and is being masked by you simply driving your chest up as opposed to having an "active sweep".

From the very start of the lift the bar needs to be moving in towards the hip. Being "swept" in. At light weight and by a lot of beginners a less than great sweep can be hidden pretty easily on the clean by just pushing your chest up.

To get a good idea of how well you're staying on your heels try some toe-unsupported high catches in either the snatch or the clean. Get something, preferably a square of stall mating, that will only elevate you 1/2-3/4 of an inch. Set up like you would for a normal lift but place your feet so that the ball of your foot is on the edge of the mat, your big toe completely unsupported. These are done very lightly at first. 50%, even.

This is a good opportunity to work on pushing your knees back onto your heels and sweeping the bar in towards the pocket.

I'm a bit scatter brained today. Hope that makes sense. Will review it later and see if I can make it more understandable.

This is a clean progression that I like:

They talk about the sweep, high pull, and catch. This is the way that I coach.

On a general WLing note it's important to remember that most coaches have their own "style". The way in which they communicate what they'd like you to do. My style is one where if it can be caught in a high catch it will with the lifter going where they need to be to catch the bar with no regards to power and "full" with the lifter driving through the heels as long as possible in all of the lifts. It doesn't mean one way is right or wrong I'm just throwing it out there to try and explain why some of my cues/input might sound differently from say, Jake's or Eric's. Even though we all pretty much agree on everything.

Find what cues and corrective exercises work for you, and use them.

Wow man, I honestly can't thank you enough. It's a good amount to process but this is way better than what I was hoping for. Definitely gonna try those toe unsupported lifts tomorrow.

Ok. I feel like I have to pull higher on full cleans to give myself more room to drop under the bar, but maybe that's an illusion or just means I under-pull my power cleans. I don't really like power cleans anyway, so I switched to only doing full squat cleans as soon as I could.

Why would you need more room to drop under the bar when you actually drop under the bar? This might be because you don't "release yourself" (that's how it's in German WL-vocabulary, no idea for English) soon enough when doing full cleans. I overpulled all my cleans for a long time which really harmed my cleaning as I developed the tendency to catch the bar very high and then get down and up again. When it gets heavy, that doesn't work anymore and you fuck up.
And maybe work on getting to the bottom of the clean quicker. As soon as that works, it's miraculous how good cleans feel.

Yeah I should probably post my own clean form check here. I think I need to work on dropping down into the catch position faster so that I don't have to pull as high.

Yeah I should probably post my own clean form check here. I think I need to work on dropping down into the catch position faster so that I don't have to pull as high.

It's more of a pull under than a drop.

It's more of a pull under than a drop.

To expand on this, if you don't mind Belph, we want to actively yank/jerk/pull ourselves down using the bar to accelerate.
We want to be accelerating through the lift travelling at our absolute fastest going into our catch. Realistically this isn't how it works but it's good to think sharp, fast words for cues. So "yank/jerk" yourself down using the bar.
The downside is once this is cued it must be drilled to happen in concert with the punch of the hips. If the lifter waits or hesitates to retreat the hips by yanking on the bar then it will have traveled forward and decreased the efficiency of the lift.

The cue of "drop under" can be used and some people will respond very positively to it. Their interpretation of that will give you a smooth transition into the catch. However it's not uncommon for people cued to "drop under" to sort of free fall into their catch position with no real thought to resisting the soon to be falling object. So they aren't as engaged as could be. Or, they "pull through" their catch. They're so focused on just getting down as quickly as possible that they've received the bar but continued to drop and are now pulling this weight down on themselves. So, this is when crashing usually happens. They're pushed to the very bottom of their ROM, very likely a "weak" position and then the lift is usually missed.

Back