News Claressa Shields signs with PFL.

Dont know, cause WMMA usually draws less than men MMA, sounds like a fairly easy 1mill (minus Harrison i guess) for someone fairly good, but they try their luck getting pummeled by Nunes for less in the UFC.

She's only 25. I don't know why she feels the need to debut in 2021. She could easily take all of 2021 just for training mma and debut the next year and be more prepared. Wtf does know though.

Good luck to her. But I don't see her developing all the additional skill sets any time soon. Harrison takes it to the mat and destroys her quite easily.

Good luck to her. But I don't see her developing all the additional skill sets any time soon. Harrison takes it to the mat and destroys her quite easily.
very non ignorant of you. take notes bareback bumbuddy bandito

She's only 25. I don't know why she feels the need to debut in 2021. She could easily take all of 2021 just for training mma and debut the next year and be more prepared. Wtf does know though.
she could of been preparing on the sly

Does she cut a lot in boxing? i think they usually cut less than MMA cause there is no grappling, also way more weight classes so they dont kill themselves to make weight, anyway, unless PFL somehow has a 155lbs division and still finds a way to pay them 1 million, it has to be 145lbs.

PFL does have a 155 division. Kayla Harrison was the champion last year.

This is great news for mma and for something different than the ufc.

I've watched them both a little and neither is the 'humble warrior' type (that I personally prefer) in any way shape or form. They both seem narcissistic, talk mainly about themselves and little about the quality of their opponents. Maybe their olympics pedigrees where they were spoiled rotten and got their way all the time from a young age. They both seem primarily interested in making tons of money now no matter who they wreck or insult along the way. It should hype their potential showdown beyond belief.

Don't underestimate traditional promoters' ability to completely ruin the marketing opportunities available to them. One way would be to only have them fight cans who still expose their flaws, then wait way too long & charge too much for a ppv, having completely drained any buildup.

My preference: immediately do a reality show about the buildup to Shields pro debut against, yes, Kayla Harrison. Then another about their rematch. It would bring out so much smack talk and hype and you'd get to know their trainers, their corners, their families etc. Guaranteed it would be a lightning rod of real and imagined drama. Hell, keep it ongoing for their inevitable rematch.

Right now as of this moment Shields acts like it will only take her a few months to 'learn' judo & jiu jitsu - arts that people spend their lives trying to master and still have more to learn. Same goes for Harrison - she seems to think all her striking flaws can just be covered up or papered over because she 'deserves' to be a star. She's already complaining that she's far MORE than 'rousey 2.0'

Sure I'm wildly speculating here. I just think that making them fight first and then again would generate a lot of buzz instead of going through all the tedium of protecting them both from their glaring weaknesses ad nauseum. Harrison acts like she's the entitled one. Shield does the same. Let them at it.

Just a hunch on my part that the entire approach most promoters have is boring. Do the opposite. Like fight circus or anything but the ufc. I guess the tournament format is something different. But what if one gets injured or their flaws exposed of tries holding out for more money or whatever? Too many variables. Since they are both saying they'll whup one another. Let them prove it right out of the gate.

Edited to add: or maybe something like Rizin promos, where you're showing the challenges and hurdles of each fighter without revealing specific training methods. While treating each fighter with respect. Rizin does the best promos anywhere imho!

Last edited:
If she gets that chuck liddell tdd and learns to defend kicks. Shes going to put some fighters in a coma and jab most into oblivion

So they signed Rory, Werdum & now her which is awesome but when is there next show?

Holly Holm suffered brutal ko losses and was nowhere near the star Shields is

And she re matched the same girl in her next fight and beat her. I agree that Clarissa is a way bigger star than Holly was when she crossed over, but Holly still made a little bit of noise. Clarissa was kind of in the right place at the right time though.

She won her Olympic gold medal in a time when American Men's Olympic boxing has been the shittiest ever and haven't medaled in years. Plus she's a young Black woman that grew up in the ghetto. People love an underdog story like that these days.

The sky is honestly the limit for her if she can stay on track. The only problem is that she is too big for the women's MMA weight classes. She fights at 165 and would have to cut 20lbs just to make 145. I know that the PFL has a 155lb weight class, but if she really wants to make waves. she'll need to fight in the UFC.

The good thing about women's MMA is that I assume there's not a lot more money in boxing, so women crossing over in their prime should be possible. Won't happen in men's MMA in my lifetime.

Been expecting this one... Don't know how well she will do without TDD... But she will be able to gain some much needed experience...Still with Kayla there she is unlikely to go very far
Claressa will go real far in WMMA. The level in Wmma is not like the men. Claressa is only 25 so if she's fully committed she'll easily get passed Kayla who is 5 years older and less athletic

Claressa will go real far in WMMA. The level in Wmma is not like the men. Claressa is only 25 so if she's fully committed she'll easily get passed Kayla who is 5 years older and less athletic
The thing is the level in women's boxing is even worse. Wmma actually has more talented female athletes than women's boxing but claressa is a special case

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back