Ciryl Gane is Jon Jones tallest opponent to date

Who were all the tall guys Jones had a tough time with?

The only war he's been in is with Gus; who he destroyed in their second fight.

Gus 1 & Reyes. Jones has had 3 contentious wins in his career, 2 of them are against guys who are his height or similar (Gus 1, Reyes). The other 1 was against 6 ft 2 Santos, who isn't short either. Jones fights against the shorter guys tends to end up in a (T)KO or sub win for him most of the time or a blowout decision. I do think Jones beat Gus & Santos, but there were lots who don't feel the same way. I think Reyes beat Jones, but I don't consider it a robbery

He'll also be the heaviest, the Frenchest and the most recent opponent Jones has ever faced.

Fight is so difficult to handicap because we have no idea what the combo of mass bulking/more than 3 years off will do to Jon, for better or worse. He could be a wrestling/GNP beast that takes Gane down and pounds him through the canvas. Or he could be too slow to close distance, slower and less powerful than Gane in his strikes, and get picked apart by the guy used to carrying his muscle mass.

Having never seen Jon spar, let alone fight at the size he is (looks huge in pics I've seen) I can't feel comfortable picking a winner.
Yeah, realistically this fight is a fucking enigma. I want Jones to win and it's very difficult to bet against him taking into account what he has accomplished in his career, but my brain tells me 3 years is a long fucking time and it's another weightclass against a tall fast guy. If Jones is half the wrestler he was at some point he can take this fight easy, but who knows?

It all depends on whether tom can avoid the eye pokes, Jone's best weapon.

Back