• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Media Ciryl Gane already thinking about retirement

i've been dreaming about retirement since the first day i worked. is normal.
Yeah this is the way I see it. People seem to act like these guys should never think about the idea of retirement. But it really is pretty natural to think about and want a time that isn't too far off where you don't have to work anymore and can just do whatever you want with your time. Fighting for UFC titles is a glamorous opportunity no doubt. But he's in the gym all day every day. He'd probably like to eventually not have to live in the gym and just enjoy life.

Khabib.jpg

Good. Any intelligent person would do the same. Don't take more punishment than necessary, don't go through more grueling camps than necessary, and retire from it as quickly as possible by making good business decisions outside of actually fighting. You'll see a lot of this going forward, I would imagine

By the time Gane turns 35, Anderson Silva will be 50 and he'll still be fighting.

Silva was saying very similar things when he was 31. He also planned on retiring at 35.

“Here’s the situation,” Soares said. “His goal when we signed with the UFC was for him to retire at 35 years old. That was the goal, and I think we need to keep that goal in check. We work to follow through with that goal. Now, he’s 35 in only 18 months, so ideally, my goal as his manager is to put him in a situational financially so that when he’s 35, if he feels like retiring, he’ll be able to retire.

“But that doesn’t mean he will necessarily retire at 35. … At the end of the day, man, when gets to 35, he could feel like he has a few more fights in him.”
https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2008/11/maybe-anderson-silva-wont-retire-at-35-after-all

"I don't want to be a cagefighter for a long time, I care about money .. I can totally see myself retiring at 35"

<36>

That's what Machida (now infamously) said.
upload_2022-1-10_17-6-45.jpeg

. . . and he's loaded and 8 years past the 35 cut-off mark. So I wouldn't put too much stock into it.

People itt acting like he only has 2 fights left. 4 more years is a long time for someone who's already the #1 contender. If he stays relatively active that's 8+ fights against elite competition. Should be enough to satisfy even the old school fans and potentially cement himself as one of the GOATs. If you don't need more money there's no need to fight past your prime.

Last edited:
It's the only intelligent model as a fighter. At least if your long term health and safety is concerned. Conor talked about it and then literally demonstrated it to the world and everybody will be trying to emulate it now.

The sport and fans will not like the shifting dynamics though as it will likely bring more situations like Khabib or very short career spans. The concept of legacy is dying, it's about getting it done quickly with as little damage as possible. Inevitable unfortunately, and as noted, the intelligent path of any fighter.

The JBG does not approve though :(

Man he's really young, especially for a HW. If he maintains his training and takes care of himself he could be in peak form at HW for a long time.

You don’t want to hang around too long being a heavyweight. Just about every heavyweight fight ends in a knockout and you may not have the same luck as Ubeream.
And we don't know how lucky Overeem is. Let's see how he is functioning at 65.

Back