• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Ciryl "Back of the Head" Gane

Yeah he does always seem to slip in a back of the head hammerfist when going for the finish… should be warned before his next fight
Actually I'm getting tired of seeing it. Total BS
giphy.gif
Thanks was looking for yet another from the last fight. As we see here the guy obviously just doesn't understand the rule. I mean at this point he could easily pick other shots and do plenty of damage. You don't even need to go for the head his ribs were wide open and literally could have been broken with a good body shot followed by an uppercut This is a habitual striking pattern that isn't legal in the UFC. This guy doesn't know how to box. He's a moron. Makes me want to attend his next fight in the front row and I'm gonna throw beer on him if he does it.

I wouldn't consider it an illegal strike when the opponent is turning and/or ducking and exposing the back of their head, that's clearly the opponent not intelligently defending himself.
No it's still illegal there too. Actually no reason to hammer fist to the back of the head if you look at the gif above - he had plenty of options.

Him and Lesnar have shoulders wide as barna, and Gane has striking skills to boot. . . but they just can't seem to generate any power in their punches, and love jack-hammer mini-hammer-fisting.
I believe you're born with or without KO power.
strikes to the back of the head are not any more dangerous than any other head strikes. they also are completely legal, so long as you don’t hit it on purpose, i guess?
That simply isn't true through basic knowledge of motorics and the spinal cord.

With so many haters, one can't deny the guy is doing pretty good. God bless Sherdog.
I was actually a fan and he seemed to have a good attitude on the mic. Then I watched his last few fights and saw all the back of the head hammer fists. I am asking that they follow the rules on this.

Him and Lesnar have shoulders wide as barna, and Gane has striking skills to boot. . . but they just can't seem to generate any power in their punches, and love jack-hammer mini-hammer-fisting.

Brock at least caused tons of damage with those cinder blocks, his opponents face would blow up like a balloon and he staggered guys. Mean GnP.

Gane on the other hand lands dozens of flush punches but can’t even bust a grape.

Gane on the other hand lands dozens of flush punches but can’t even bust a grape.

I agree somewhat that his power is nothing special, but his bigger issue is more that his killer instinct is just simply non-existent. He never notices/ignores when he hurts guys and just lets them off instead.

At one point he hit Spivak with a body shot and folded him over and Spivak retreated like 3 steps. Anybody else sees this and moves in for the kill. Gane just let him off and so the fight continued for 3 minutes more than it needed to.

He only ever moves in when even Helen Keller could see they're hurt. His fans say he's just overly cautious, but honestly at this point it's way more that he's just not much of an actual fighter and is instead an athlete going through the motions of MMA.

It's going to catch up with him. This isn't the sport to just let opportunities go like he does.

The precedent has been set (for forever) that back of the head strikes while standing in the open are not called fouls.

In the clinch or on the ground it might get called, but if a guy is moving in free space the refs do not call the back of the head foul.

If I had to speculate I would assume it is because many of these instances occur because a fighter (instinctively) turns away from the strikes.

I find it strange you don't believe in brain injuries seeing as you seem to be the victim of one yourself.
name literally one person who has suffered a spinal cord injury in combat sports from a strike to the back of the head. one ever.

name literally one person who has suffered a spinal cord injury in combat sports from a strike to the back of the head. one ever.
Prichard Colón.
Soccer referee John Bieniewicz was punched in the back of the head on the pitch by an upset player in Michigan. The rabbit punch twisted and tore the arteries at the base of his neck. There's a reason they are illegal in literally every combat sport on the planet when intentional.
Colón has suffered a fate some call worse than death. Your ignorance of basic fact is astounding and I will pray for your soul.

Prichard Colón.
Soccer referee John Bieniewicz was punched in the back of the head on the pitch by an upset player in Michigan. The rabbit punch twisted and tore the arteries at the base of his neck. There's a reason they are illegal in literally every combat sport on the planet when intentional.
Colón has suffered a fate some call worse than death. Your ignorance of basic fact is astounding and I will pray for your soul.
literally neither of those cases involve the spinal cord whatsoever.

It's a lot easier to finish your opponent when you completely ignore the back of the head rule and the ref doesn't penalise you at all for it. Wouldn't have changed the result but come on first Tai Tuivasa now this bs
I know right. Omg Spivac was winning but that blow to the back of the head changed everything.

Seriously when did Gane get all these haters?
Dude has mostly great finishes, is super positive and nice, and manages to get hate.
Oh sherdog LMFAO

I only think the Tuivasa one was a foul

The JDS one, seemed like it was more just behind the ear and even if it got too close to the back of the head, that may have been from JDS turning. Same for Spivac, most of not all of those hammer fists were legal to the side of the head above/behind the ear. The last one before the stoppage, Spivac turned but even then it may still have been legal

Gane does say Jones is his inspiration and accordingly, he does have a problem with threatening eye pokes and some questionable shots near/on the back of the head. But I don't think he did anything worthy of a foul against JDS or Spivac

Exactly. His striking isn't actually that good, just his speed and foot work are..
Ok no one needs to take you seriously anymore.

Back