Cinnamon is going fishing on May 4th

XCuTioNeR

Mundo Hispano FECARBOX Champion
@Titanium
Reaction score
Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=60987#ixzz2GgnFS4mj

By Miguel Rivera

According to multiple sources in Mexico, WBC junior middleweight champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (41-0-1, 30KOs) will likely face WBA "regular" beltholder Austin Trout (26-0, 14KOs) in a unification on May 4th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Canelo was originally looking to face Puerto Rican star Miguel Cotto on the date, but Cotto lost a twelve round unanimous decision to Trout on December 1st in New York.

Even though he clearly has the much bigger name, Cotto became a less attractive option after suffering two consecutive defeats. While most experts believe Canelo is hunting for another possible opponent, the unbeaten fighter gave the green light on Trout a long time ago. Canelo had his eye on Trout since February 2011, when he sat ringside in Guadalajara and watched Trout dominate his older brother Rigoberto Alvarez.

The May 4th card, on HBO pay-per-view, is headlined by Floyd Mayweather Jr. in a defense of his WBC welterweight crown, reportedly against mandatory challenger Robert "The Ghost" Guerrero.

The Trout frontrunners got their wish.
High risk against an unknown.
I hope GB know what they're doing.

good, good
13539235468021.gif

Wow...well I just gained an incredible amount of respect for Canelo...

Trout is pretty much like Winky Wright...relatively unknown but incredibly dangerous..

This is a high risk, low reward fight...most people don't know who Trout is, even after the Cotto fight.

The Trout frontrunners got their wish.
High risk against an unknown.
I hope GB know what they're doing.

From a business stand point it makes little sense

From a true fight fan's point...this fight makes perfect sense.

This will determine whether or not Canelo is for real, or just another product of clever marketing.

Apparently Canelo's been pushing for Trout since he found out Floyd wasn't gonna fight him until later in the year. Trout doesn't really have a name so Canelo will get the lion's share of the purse which is always an incentive as well. Like you said X and LI, high risk, low reward from Canelo's standpoint. Awesome fight though.

So much for all the haters in here saying he's ducking trout.

I don't think he needs to fight Trout, but besides Floyd it is the most relevant fight he could have taken. Good on him.

I don't think he needs to fight Trout, but besides Floyd it is the most relevant fight he could have taken. Good on him.

he is taking this fight cause of the Haters. They back him in to a corner and now time to put up or shut up. Niether him or Golden Boy wanted this fight.

Good fight. Good news.

BAd news is Guerrero vs MAyweather.

Good fight. Good news.

BAd news is Guerrero vs MAyweather.

Not when you think big picture.
PBF coming back from jail, the megafight with Cinnamon being so close.
Guerrero having a name, being a southpaw.
It's a good fight.

With Mayweather vs. Guerrero headlining, this is the perfect opportunity to make this fight occur.

Well, if GBP brass and Team Canelo hadn't talked a bunch of stupid shit about how Trout didn't deserve the fight and needed several more wins before he could even get in the conversation with Alvarez, the haters wouldn't have said much of anything.

That being said, I'll give credit where it's due. This is not a "smart" fight for Alvarez to take when he's on the verge of a major payday that may be the first of many in his career. I'm looking forward to the fight.

Good fight for hardcore boxing fans, bad fight for casuals.

Trout won't increase PPV numbers like Cotto would, and he also runs the chance of making it a boring fight. I'm not sure Canelo knows how to handle someone who won't stand for him. Trout is also faster and has better head movement than Canelo. I wouldn't be surprised to see this fight set up only to be scrapped close to fight time due to "injury."

Too many people counting out Guererro. That fight will be more competitive than you think. BTW I will definitely give Canelo props for taking the Trout fight. I don't know if I see him winning that so easily either. Great card so far!

I like this fight as a hardcore fan.

Anybody stopped to consider slims reaction round here if he has called mayweather Guerrero right?

I like this fight as a hardcore fan.

Anybody stopped to consider slims reaction round here if he has called mayweather Guerrero right?

I'm not calling this fight just yet. Smart money is always on Floyd. He'll rightly be the favorite here. But I see Guererro as a very live underdog. He presents a lot of problems style wise here and I definitely could see an upset happening.

Back