Church for sale

I was considering purchasing one a couple years back. I was going to turn it into a single bedroom home.
Tompkins_Corners_United_Methodist_Church,_Putnam_Valley,_NY.jpg
Jesus, is it just me or does this church look exactly like the one in The Leftovers?

I'm tempted to go to the Sunday service at my local church just to see if there's any one there.

You don't understand. There are family members whose homes I'm no longer welcome at for Thanksgiving and Christmas because I no longer believe in God. That doesn't hurt me as much as the guys I trained up from white belt kids to black belt national level competitors at my old judo dojo who won't give me the time of day. My parents are both deacons of the United Methodist Church and are kind of a big deal.

The thing is, the more secure you are in your own faith, the less you have with people like me. I'm still very good friends with a lot of very well educated clergy of different faiths and denominations. It's the zealots and fanatics who are the problem. And the zealots and fanatics are almost never the majority.

Here's a question to ask yourself - has your hatred pushed you over the line to being zealous or fanatical about religion and religious people? If not, how are you from that line?

Anyway, what do you think about the new wave of atheist-humanist churches?
No, that's the thing... I do understand. I come from a very right wing political family. My uncle is the most well known political clergy member in this entire country. Which was a real hit while I was in the Military. And there are people here that know me personally that can tell you that's true. Unfortunately. My family has also largely gained nothing but contempt for me because I'm am an anti-theist, even with my military status. Frankly, I think that upsets them more than anything with that knowledge. The only difference between yourself and I is that you're far smarter than me. Which leads me to the conclusion that you've chosen to placate religion rather than realize the threat it poses, because the threat is beyond clear.

I don't hate religious people. Most of my good friends are religious, as is the most Christian person you could ever meet @Cajun. If everyone was like that guy, the world would be a great place. Unfortunately, that's not the case. I am just ahead of the curve in understanding the threat religion poses...

I'm not some fanatical guy that wants to destroy religion. I just have a problem with it when it crosses the boundaries it's programmed to cross. And I've also had the distinct pleasure of fighting Islamic extremists. So there's that as well...

Jesus, is it just me or does this church look exactly like the one in The Leftovers?
Here is the Wikipedia page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tompkins_Corners_United_Methodist_Church
It doesn't mention the movie. Let me cross reference the other way to see if I get a match.

Okay, a quick look later and 'The Leftovers mentions filming in Westchester county NY. While the church is not located in Westchester, it is not inconceivable the location is miscredited.

I've seen many of these churches in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa. PBS had a program on a rural church in Southwestern Minnesota that was shutting down because the Farms had gotten bigger so there were fewer families in the area and most of the young people were leaving. The building was being moved to a site with other old buildings including stores schools and other churches.

The church was an exact copy of the rural Wisconsin church that my mother's family attended. The exterior, interior and even the basement looked exactly the same. Even the picture of the good shepherd over the alter was the same.

Maybe these were kit churches. I've heard that Sears sold some. Maybe it was a group of builders who specialized in building churches.

Could be. It could also just be I'm noticing similar architectural motifs. Everyone had their own ideas, so if the shooting of The Leftovers was in a small New Englad town populated by people from the same culture (or lineage), in the same time, of the same religion, in the same place...you tend to get a lot of churches that look incredibly similar. This is where an art history Ph.D. can just blow your mind. You could show them nothing but the church, like photoshop and cut our a trace of nothing but the church, and they could probably tell you when it was built within like a 30 year period, where it was built within 100 miles or so, which religion it belonged to, the likely former home country of those people, etc. Amazing stuff happens when you get a truly dedicated linguist or art historian.

Where is The Leftovers filmed? Isn't it Pennsylvania or like western Massachussetts or something? Makes sense.

Oh, and Muscles, if you can just remind me which episode that church was in the first season, I can screenshot it (have it on my comp) and upload it.

It seems that the churches that are more successful these days are those that demand more of their parishioners including money. One local church owns apartments. Parishioners, especially those that are retired, sell their possessions and donate the proceeds to the church. In exchange, they get a low rent place to live for life with help available from other members. Another version of a commune.

Could be. It could also just be I'm noticing similar architectural motifs. Everyone had their own ideas, so if the shooting of The Leftovers was in a small New Englad town populated by people from the same culture (or lineage), in the same time, of the same religion, in the same place...you tend to get a lot of churches that look incredibly similar. This is where an art history Ph.D. can just blow your mind. You could show them nothing but the church, like photoshop and cut our a trace of nothing but the church, and they could probably tell you when it was built within like a 30 year period, where it was built within 100 miles or so, which religion it belonged to, the likely former home country of those people, etc. Amazing stuff happens when you get a truly dedicated linguist or art historian.

Where is The Leftovers filmed? Isn't it Pennsylvania or like western Massachussetts or something? Makes sense.

Oh, and Muscles, if you can just remind me which episode that church was in the first season, I can screenshot it (have it on my comp) and upload it.

I'm not familiar with the show. I read from IMDB it is filmed in Westchester County NY.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2699128/

Judging from the clues I find in the episode descriptions, I'd check episode 4. Other episode description can be found here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_The_Leftovers_episodes#Season_1_.282014.29

however, when I search 'church from the Leftovers' I get this:

The-Leftovers-season-1-episode-3-the-watchers.jpg

Back