Church for sale

ralphc1

Titanium Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
For sale signs in front of church property are becoming rather common. I don't go to churches for anything other than the occasional funeral these days but apparently church membership is literally dying off. In the 1960s, new churches were being built all over as congregations were growing. Some expanded at their current location and others moved and built where they had more room.

Around here lately, the congregations are merging and selling one set of buildings because they can't afford the upkeep. Other churches are just shutting down because they don't have any younger members. There is also a problem finding clergy as fewer are entering the field. In the rural areas and even small towns, one clergyman/woman usually serves 2 or 3 churches.

There have also been the itinerant preachers that come into town and start a congregation in someone's basement with the goal of starting a new church by attracting those disillusioned with their current church. Some people didn't like it when females were allowed into the clergy which cleared the way for the more traditional preachers. One of these groups got fairly large and raised a lot of money only to have the preacher and the money disappear at the same time. Apparently nobody had checked the guy out. He used a false name and they never found him.

One of the largest Lutheran churches in town split when same sex partners were allowed into the clergy. Now those 2 groups are slowly dying off too.

Are churches going up for sale in your area?

Not that I've seen. We've had some successful church plants that are small, but healthy. One of the fastest growing churches in the US is in my city. My own church is doing well.
I have noticed an interesting phenomenon though. I've seen several new churches started that intend to stay small (and plant another church when they are large enough to do that) and I've seen big churches get bigger. It's the medium sized churches that seem to be struggling.
But overall we are trending to a more secular society.

You gotta adapt if you wanna stay in business.

I remember about 15 years ago is when they started converting a bunch of churches to condos in DC.

Also, what denominations are going out of business? From what I understand, it's mostly the mainline churches. Can't compete with the evangelicals and the fundamentals, evidently.

Churches going out of business... unreal.

Buying up a church and living in it would be pretty sweet.

321820.jpg

I was considering purchasing one a couple years back. I was going to turn it into a single bedroom home.
Tompkins_Corners_United_Methodist_Church,_Putnam_Valley,_NY.jpg

Ironically enough a few days ago while driving at work I passed a church that had a for sale sign out front of it.It was downtown, pretty much; in Toronto here. Traffic had slowed and there was a fella out front shoveling off the little bit of snow that sat on the steps of the church and I rolled down my window to double check, as I've never, ever seen this before and wanted to make sure it was the church itself for sale and not the lot(parking) or some other shite.

Regardless, yes. It was. Is. Me & my shotgun passenger where baffled. I've been around, as has he somewhat, both side's of the Atlantic, both side's of the border here in NA and across Europe, and this was the first time I'd ever come across this.

It's for the most part the complete opposite, up here anyways. Massive massive place's of worship are being built left, right and centre. This was a first.

Megachurches are the Walmarts of religion.

People are starting to rise out of the grave so to speak. The business of manipulation is fading fast.

Yes and I'm reaping the benefits. I have my eye on a nice one here in LA right now. When they drop some more I'll make them an offer.

I remember about 15 years ago is when they started converting a bunch of churches to condos in DC.

Also, what denominations are going out of business? From what I understand, it's mostly the mainline churches. Can't compete with the evangelicals and the fundamentals, evidently.

It seems to run across denominations. Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian, There is even a Jehovah's Witness Kingdom Hall for sale.

I was considering purchasing one a couple years back. I was going to turn it into a single bedroom home.

Would it come with the associated tax exemptions?

If so, that's a steal, and a hellavu deal!

Which probably makes sense really. Religion is by nature kind of an extreme thing. If you're going to do it, do it all the way. Otherwise, just get out of the game completely.

At least that's how I see it. I'm not sure I can see how rewarding practicing half-assed, watered down religion would be.

What I can say for Salt Lake City is that all the churches that were here when I first moved here in '07--I'm speaking of Mormon churches as well as non-Mormon faiths--are still in operation. Hell, even the Scientology place is still up and running.

Religion is free enterprise. Rivals and competing factions set up shop on every street corner, competing to save people's souls... And take their money.

Churches are the oldest scam in the world and a business that sells, a tax-free invisible product that one only gets when they die to idiots in return for 10% of their income.

It's unbelievable.

Would it come with the associated tax exemptions?

If so, that's a steal, and a hellavu deal!
that begs the question; how many parishioners do I need to be an actual religion?

Do a couple guys over once a month to watch the fights count as services?

Back