Chris Weidman's record is super weird

If only some change that took place between May 2015, and December 2015 could explain this, eh?

Hendricks has the same weird record. After March 2015 his career went in the shitter too.

I get the feeling there’s probably a simple answer. But I just can’t for the life of me figure it out. I think that the summer of 2015 is the key, though.

Are you serious?
Serious about what?

Maybe you're misunderstanding. I don't really care about the reason for his decline. There are plenty fighters who hit their ceiling hard.
The weird thing about his record to me isn't that there is a hard dropoff in performance. It's that his name carries a value that is hardly reflected by his record.

If you take the Silva and Belfort wins with a large grain of salt due to age, he's beaten Machida, Maia and Gastelum.
And lost to a bunch of guys, who have great names, but consistently were past their peak.

His record implies that he faced the absolute best of the best, but reviewing the ages and records of those opponents, it actually appears that he has barely fought anyone of relevance at a point in time where it actually would've been relevant.
On first sight, he just started losing at some point. On second sight, one might say that he faced the who's who of that era. But in retrospect pretty much all those losses were against guys who were on a downhill slope into retirement.

This may sound super harsh, but what I'm saying here is, that his record is actually even worse than it looks on paper.

Last edited:
Lol, no. He’s had only 22 MMA fights. He get lucky against Anderson, that’s it.
Fighting too long has nothing to do with the number of fights. It's about continuing to fight when you are clearly out of it.

When fighters realize they dont have it anymore and retire, their record looks better

Truth is DNA testing proved to be real. Weidman was never our boy, his Dad was the real Dad the entire time.

I hate to be a “X fighter was never good” but he had two flukes against Anderson, best a washed Machida and a post-TRT, washed Vitor.

Anderson is the GOAT.

Chris dominated Anderson every round they fought in. Nothing flukish about it.

Machida looked as good as ever, and Vitor was still not totally washed either.

While the criticism of those guys being older than Weidman is fair, taking those wins away is some horseshit lol.

It's not like Chris got wiped out by his subsequent defeats either. He was competitive in pretty much all those fights until his body clearly started flagging.

there was a time he looked like a future GOAT.

then USADA came into effect and he started to suck as many have observed on this site.

Anderson couldn't win a single fight post USADA, funny how we got so much apologia for his losses to Teh Chris in this thread.

Chris dominated Anderson every round they fought in. Nothing flukish about it.

Machida looked as good as ever, and Vitor was still not totally washed either.

While the criticism of those guys being older than Weidman is fair, taking those wins away is some horseshit lol.

It's not like Chris got wiped out by his subsequent defeats either. He was competitive in pretty much all those fights until his body clearly started flagging.
Nah, he got wiped out. Prime Silva woulda sent him to the shadow realm as would prime machida

Nothing weird here. He beat a lot of old guys.
Usada came in, he became a bum. Those coincidences make you start to wonder...

I love the suggestions that Weidman was just the guy who showed up at the right time...

Chris Weidman was one of the highest touted prospects I've ever seen. Then he did it.

And we got guys who've been watching MMA for a week, telling me that guy got lucky.

Bellator tried to sign him before UFC.

"“Chris Weidman. I thought we had that deal done. I put a lot of time into that, and we had Chris come out to the Huerta-Alvarez show [Bellator 33] as our guest and we got him a hotel room. It was a big recruiting visit. We took him backstage, spoke with Bjorn and shook his hand. Chris was really excited walking out of that meeting about fighting for us. I was told by his managers that the deal was done.”

“I think Chris took the contract to a lawyer who was also a relative, and I think the relative had some questions about the nature of the contract. I think Chris felt like we had misled him. I read an interview where we had said that. It took me by surprise, but I think what had happened was, the guy that was working with him was trying to get other fighters into Bellator and had spoken to Bjorn about possibly working for the company. I think he felt like whether or not he was going to be able to do business with us outside of Chris Weidman, he felt like that was going to be dependent on if he could get Chris to sign with us. I think he might’ve misled Chris on a few things to get Chris to sign a 36-page document. I can tell you from my end, I don’t know anything that Bellator did to mislead him. I wonder where the disconnect was.”

“I thought that was a done deal. Bjorn was like, “How good do you think he can be?” And I say, “If we sign him, he’s going to be our middleweight champion.” When Chris won the title from Anderson Silva, I was like, “Well, I was wrong. He’s not our champion, he’s the UFC middleweight champion.”"

"Top Prospects in MMA" 2010
Chris Weidman
Record: 2-0
Team: Team Serra-Longo
Division: Middleweight

Sherdog's Prospect Watch in 2009
"Chris Weidman aims to introduce himself to the world this weekend in Barcelona, Spain, where he will compete in the Abu Dhabi Submission Wrestling World Championships as a Brazilian jiu-jitsu purple belt.

Once he fulfills his commitment to the ADCC world championships, Weidman will again switch gears to his fledgling MMA career. Married one year ago, he and his wife are expecting their first child in March. There can be no better motivation."

He went from NCAA wrestling to grappling Andre Guvalo as purple belt in ADCC, in 2 years, and the bout blew up.
Weidman was showing hints of greatness in MMA before he had a single bout.

World MMA Middleweight Scouting Report: #2 – Chris Weidman
Potential: If you still haven't got the message yet, Chris Weidman is one of the most highly-touted blue chip middleweight prospects ever. With his combination of size, athleticism, and skill, the sky is the limit. At just 4-0 as a pro, it would be premature for him to jump directly to fighting the top-ranked 185 pound fighters, so getting more fights will be the priority in the interim. His options reportedly include entry into the potential Bellator Season 4 middleweight tournament and a spot on the cast of The Ultimate Fighter 13. The TUF gig would be the best opportunity to show the MMA world his skills, and his upbeat personality is perfect for the reality TV format.

His first bout vs Hall was billed as a match-up between super prospects.

I don't know how anyone looks at his career and tells me this guy sucks. His record is littered with killers and tougher fights than he should have taken.
When I read that, I know you don't know history, or fighting.

Last edited:
To be fair though whilst Yoels record wasnt that great I think most would agree his form certainly wasnt bad, the Izzy, Costa and Rob fights were all very close.

Anderson couldn't win a single fight post USADA, funny how we got so much apologia for his losses to Teh Chris in this thread.
dude your joined date 2012 you still lack critical thinking
andersons like a 40 year old man still competitive fighting guys like dc

Romero went 4 and 1 actually get your facts straight

Following Teh Chris Fight Yoel did this:

Lost to Whittaker
Beat Rockhold
Lost to Whittaker again
Lost to Costa
Lost to Israel
Lost to Mr. Wonderful

Straight facts.

Following Teh Chris Fight Yoel did this:

Lost to Whittaker
Beat Rockhold
Lost to Whittaker again
Lost to Costa
Lost to Israel
Lost to Mr. Wonderful

Straight facts.
Lost to whittaker
beat rockhold
robbed against Whittaker
robbed against costa
robbed against adesanya
who cares its bellator

facts straigtened

Not the point, it's about not stopping when he shouldve

When should he have stopped then?

He just wasn’t as good as he was touted to be, that was his problem. He best wins are all way past their prime fighters. Even his recent losses/stoppages are against older fighters. A very good but not a great fighter who caught silva at the right time

dude your joined date 2012 you still lack critical thinking
andersons like a 40 year old man still competitive fighting guys like dc

A dope like you talking about critical thinking lmao. Go defend Jone's roiding.

I stated a fact. You not liking it is not my problem.
DC took it easy on Anderson. We all saw when fighters didn't (Weidman, Hall, Jared).
Also, given that he failed tests, Anderoid was probably still cycling something.

Chris never failed a test, unlike Anderoid BTW.

Back