Chris Weidman's record is super weird

Banana Tree's Nemesis

friendship bracelet belt
@Green
Reaction score
He took the MW crown from Anderson a good 10 years ago. Anderson was rocking that legendary win streak, but he was 38 years old nonetheless. Beat Machida and then beat a somewhat old Belfort who didn't do that well from that point on either.
Then things went southwards quickly. Let's look at the losses.

Lost to Rockhold by KO. Rockhold went 1-4 from there on.
Lost to Romero by KO. Romero went 1-4 in the UFC from there.
Lost to Mousasi by TKO. Didn't age worse than the other losses. If anything it aged better.
Lost to Jacare by KO. Jacare was 39 and went 0-4 after that.
Lost to Reyes by KO. Reyes went 0-4 after that.
Lost to Uriah and went full circle by breaking his own leg in the worst possible fashion. Uriah hasn't won since then either.
Lost to Tavares by dec. Tavares came off a 2 fight skid.

Those guys went a whopping 2-18 in UFC fights after beating, more precisely - finishing, Weidman. What the actual fork.

Let's look at the wins:
Won against Gastelum. Gastelum went 4-6, managed to fight for the interim belt though. Aged okay.
Won against Omari Akhmedov. Came off a respectable no-loss streak and went 1-1 in the UFC after losing to Weidman. Aged almost good.

If the Bruno Silva fight is happening he's putting his >= 2:1 win/lose ratio on the line. He got into the UFC very early in his career, but his record really starts looking dim and it gets worse with every fight.
Even if he manages to win that fight where does it take him? He'll be 40 before he gets another fight. The only other MW who is that old and still does well is Cannonier. And Jared has been only KO'd twice in his career. Chris got KO'd 5 times and had like what, 20 surgeries or something close to that.

Just like about anybody I respect a guy who puts himself through that to put food on the table, but I am frankly kind of disturbed that his family isn't stopping him from doing this at this point in time. He's got a name. I'm sure he can run a very profitable gym and do that for a living and do very well. Is it pure delusion, wrong pride or just bad advise that keeps him going? Idk, but I feel bad for him, because I just don't see what's to gain from still taking fights in his position other than lasting damage.

He's still my boy though.

it s not weird at all

It s what happens when you fight face first everytime.
He really got lucky vs Anderson in hindsight-sure using lucky in a very loose sense in that Silva fought the weirdest not taking it seriously fight the first time and then broke his leg.

It's a record indicative of feasting on elderly opponents from the same country in order to inflate the American hero.

Once they ran out of those old Brazilians, he had to face live bodies and you saw what happened, how 'good' he really was. That was the end of the American dream.

You could look at it multiple ways.

He's losing brutally to guys who themselves can barely buy a win, a can even among other cans.

There's a curse, once you beat our boy you will never win again.

Or, as many have pointed out. His career trajectory just so happened to do a complete 180° right around the time USADA came in.

Personally, my opinion is he's still my boy.

there was a time he looked like a future GOAT.

then USADA came into effect and he started to suck as many have observed on this site.

This, what he was on may not have been steroids but he looked diminished when they started USADA.

edit- could be the massive weight cut and not being able to use IV to rehydrate.

Last edited:
it’s a respectable career full of big names. Usada implications or not, the guy fought a who’s who of the MW division. And yes, he should have stopped earlier. Coming back from that leg injury was certainly not a smart move and it seems he will not stop yet. I hate seeing this happen, but most of these guys just don’t know when to quit.

It isn't weird at all. The division was in chaos below Anderson at the time, with no real challengers. He caught Silva and got the KO, ok fine, but who was next in line that was 'amazing?' No one.

He then continued with a style that was not that great with a middle of the road skillset and did nothing to advance it. Then the pandemic, then the leg break.

His career is over he just doesn't want to accept it. The UFC should do him a favor and drop him.

It seemed like an underlying problem was always ego and delusion from himself but also his team. He was always very quick with excuses.

When he lost to Rockhold, it wasn't because his cardio and striking/grappling defence were complete dogshit, it was just because he threw a poorly timed spinning kick. (And he was strangely successful in convincing a lot of morons of this narrative).

No recognition that he was already gassed and getting his ass kicked before the kick, no recognition that giving up top position isn't supposed to be a death sentence. Instead reduce it all down to a single moment rather than address the actual serious flaws that Rockhold exposed.

If Serra and Longo were better coaches they would have shut that sh*t down at least privately, but all indications are that they enabled it.

Well, the Rockhold beatdown was arguably similarly devastating as Gaethje-Ferguson. He just shouldn't have entered the second round. Ofc he was younger than Ferguson, but still, those fights can take so much out of a fighter on so many levels.
You mean the 4th rd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biden's Diaper
Back