Chris Weidman's record is super weird

Name another MW champion with multiple defences who has had success at LHW? Izzy failed, Chris failed and Pereira only did it after dropping his own belt. Anderson beat the former LHW champ one fight removed from the belt. Sure Forest isn't a great all time LHW, but Jan isn't going to go down any better overall. Reyes is 0-2 in title fights. All 3 of these guys looked bad after title winning performances. Only Jan defended and that was vs Izzy.

I didn't say he gets more credit than a title defence. He also has the title defence record in his own division AND went up and did what he did. Machida was a sparring partner, Machida stayed at LHW until Silva lost his belt 2x.

Anderson Matches up well that period of MW.I don't think he dominates. No major threats wrestling wise, without also having major flaws on the feet. Moose is one of the most dangerous matchups because he can lead and counter and Yoel in the 3rd round, but he does fine with Rockhold and the others. He probably does drop a fight or two, but he makes it through pretty well if those fights happen a bit earlier in his career.

Romero as the best MW? He never won a belt and lost to multiple ranked guys. He can't be the greatest MW of the era because he was losing to other top 10 guys consistently. Romero went 9-5 in the UFC and 5-4 vs ranked guys. He isn't the best MW ever in his career. He is just always dangerous and could catch SIlva with something crazy. If he wrestled it's a whole different discussion.

Silva didn't have trouble with pressure, he thrived on it. He had issues leading the fight. If you stood in front and didn't let him counter, he would be content to wait until you did. He later slowed down and got caught but that wasn't an issue at all in his prime, the complete opposite. He got guys to run onto his strikes and was regularly getting the finish unless they were content to lose a boring decision.

You're right there's no one. I have the MW GOAT title vacant. Weidman and AS are not the GOAT but the people better than them do not have enough resume to get the title. Izzys 6 foot 4 in a smaller division during its weakest era and hasn't even dominated it can't be him either. I'm not going to sit here and pretend Romero and Rockhold have a great resume but I'm also not going to pretend AS was relative to those guys(and quite a few others) because he has 10 title defenses. But the reason everyone in that era has a terrible resume is that was MWs best era. Everyone cancelled each other out. Same with the LHW big 4. They weren't compiling title defenses because the division was stacked. Izzys reign should be teaching people that title defense counting isn't everything.

AS fighting Forrest is Izzy cherrypicking Jan if he actually won. Forrest was an ex champ but he wasn't as good as the big 4 or Thiago Silva.

Romero was also allergic to the 10-9 system of judging not going to get in to that.

I was never a Chris fan, but the version that beat Anderson would smoke Strickland.

You're right there's no one. I have the MW GOAT title vacant. Weidman and AS are not the GOAT but the people better than them do not have enough resume to get the title. Izzys 6 foot 4 in a smaller division during its weakest era and hasn't even dominated it can't be him either. I'm not going to sit here and pretend Romero and Rockhold have a great resume but I'm also not going to pretend AS was relative to those guys(and quite a few others) because he has 10 title defenses. But the reason everyone in that era has a terrible resume is that was MWs best era. Everyone cancelled each other out. Same with the LHW big 4. They weren't compiling title defenses because the division was stacked. Izzys reign should be teaching people that title defense counting isn't everything.

AS fighting Forrest is Izzy cherrypicking Jan if he actually won. Forrest was an ex champ but he wasn't as good as the big 4 or Thiago Silva.

Romero was also allergic to the 10-9 system of judging not going to get in to that.
No one has matched Anderson's win streak of 16 and 10 (11) consecutive MW title defences, he was even robbed of one by his opponent missing weight bizarrely. If it was overated, other fighters would be doing it. Instead guys are lucky to put together 2-3 defences.Weidman is a perfect example Anderson held the belt from 2006 to 2013, fought regularly and whilst injured. He was also finishing his opponents thw majority of the time both by sub and KO.

Izzy is a clear number 2. He has 5 title defences against different opponents and had cleared out the division to the point they had to give the shot to a 2-2 Strickland at number 6, who had the fight of his life. He has 2 wins over Whittaker who has one of the best resumes but lacks the title defences and slots into 3.

Izzy lost two fights after being one of the most active champions we have ever had. Strickland will be lucky to defend that title. Izzy is the first top 5 guy he has ever beaten.

The 3 guys Anderson fought at LHW all popped for different substances as a heads up in the drug tests for their fights. Just an interesting little side note. As good as Thiago Silva?? This guy? He couldn't make weight or pass a piss test.

A guy whos prime ended early and he didn't seem to want to believe it because he still fought tough competition.

. Weidman faced the toughest SOS of anyone in MWs history.

Got to remember AS for much of his reign wasn't really the best MW(something that is ignored in GOAT discussions). Yoel or Rockhold was(the Mousasi cult think Mousasi was etc). When Weidman beat AS MW was like an iceberg where you see the top but don't see the rest. The best WW and MW fighters of the early 2010s were not in the UFC and when they got to the UFC Weidman started losing. He could have maybe won some of those fights but luck decided she was done with him.
These guys weren't top 5 MWs by any ranking system when Silva was in his prime.

there was a time he looked like a future GOAT.

then USADA came into effect and he started to suck as many have observed on this site.
Nah, it wasn't USADA. He started sucking when the IV ban came into effect. He was a big MW that cut a lot of weight and really depended on the IV to rehydrate before fights.

I hate to be a “X fighter was never good” but he had two flukes against Anderson, best a washed Machida and a post-TRT, washed Vitor.

Anderson is the GOAT.

This is the timeline of his career:

Weidman is a beast who captures the belt and defends it twice, who also regularly has really tough weightcuts

————-enter USADA ————-

Weidman suddenly easily makes weight because he supposedly quit drinking, and goes on a monster losing streak.

He really got lucky vs Anderson in hindsight-sure using lucky in a very loose sense in that Silva fought the weirdest not taking it seriously fight the first time and then broke his leg.

Silva clowned around in a lot of his fights. He did it more than usual in the Weidman fight because Weidman maintained good fundamentals and wasn't overextending himself in response to the clowning (like, for an obvious example, Griffin did). And since Silva couldn't outstrike Weidman without the clowning, he did it to a ridiculous extent until it cost him.

It was Silva. At age 38. Weidman dominated every minute of that fight. He was Sonnen 2.0. Just as good a wrestler, better at striking, and way better at grappling. Over a decade later and people are still making ridiculous excuses. He was 38 dude. Every run comes to an end.
Hence…that waSNT silva at his best.

Some primes fade, some are gone overnight seemingly for no reason, and some are beaten out of guys.

Chris prime was beaten out of him. It's sad tbh.

Silva clowned around in a lot of his fights. He did it more than usual in the Weidman fight because Weidman maintained good fundamentals and wasn't overextending himself in response to the clowning (like, for an obvious example, Griffin did). And since Silva couldn't outstrike Weidman without the clowning, he did it to a ridiculous extent until it cost him.
These people are crazy you're wasting your time.

Chris def had some flukey wins. He did ok in the UFC though.

He took the MW crown from Anderson a good 10 years ago. Anderson was rocking that legendary win streak, but he was 38 years old nonetheless. Beat Machida and then beat a somewhat old Belfort who didn't do that well from that point on either.
Then things went southwards quickly. Let's look at the losses.

Lost to Rockhold by KO. Rockhold went 1-4 from there on.
Lost to Romero by KO. Romero went 1-4 in the UFC from there.
Lost to Mousasi by TKO. Didn't age worse than the other losses. If anything it aged better.
Lost to Jacare by KO. Jacare was 39 and went 0-4 after that.
Lost to Reyes by KO. Reyes went 0-4 after that.
Lost to Uriah and went full circle by breaking his own leg in the worst possible fashion. Uriah hasn't won since then either.
Lost to Tavares by dec. Tavares came off a 2 fight skid.

Those guys went a whopping 2-18 in UFC fights after beating, more precisely - finishing, Weidman. What the actual fork.

Let's look at the wins:
Won against Gastelum. Gastelum went 4-6, managed to fight for the interim belt though. Aged okay.
Won against Omari Akhmedov. Came off a respectable no-loss streak and went 1-1 in the UFC after losing to Weidman. Aged almost good.

If the Bruno Silva fight is happening he's putting his >= 2:1 win/lose ratio on the line. He got into the UFC very early in his career, but his record really starts looking dim and it gets worse with every fight.
Even if he manages to win that fight where does it take him? He'll be 40 before he gets another fight. The only other MW who is that old and still does well is Cannonier. And Jared has been only KO'd twice in his career. Chris got KO'd 5 times and had like what, 20 surgeries or something close to that.

Just like about anybody I respect a guy who puts himself through that to put food on the table, but I am frankly kind of disturbed that his family isn't stopping him from doing this at this point in time. He's got a name. I'm sure he can run a very profitable gym and do that for a living and do very well. Is it pure delusion, wrong pride or just bad advise that keeps him going? Idk, but I feel bad for him, because I just don't see what's to gain from still taking fights in his position other than lasting damage.

He's still my boy though.
If only some change that took place between May 2015, and December 2015 could explain this, eh?

Hendricks has the same weird record. After March 2015 his career went in the shitter too.

I get the feeling there’s probably a simple answer. But I just can’t for the life of me figure it out. I think that the summer of 2015 is the key, though.

Are you serious?

then USADA came into effect and he started to suck as many have observed on this site.

USADA did a number on a bunch of guys. Remember these dates:

- June 3rd 2015, the UFC announces details of its partnership with USADA
- in October 2015 the testing begins in earnest

Now line up that second date with the records of some of the guys who started losing around that time.

{<hhh]

I think it was more the accumulation of surgeries on his knees, neck, back, leg, shoulder etc over 20 surgeries.

Most guys aren't the same after one major surgery.

All I know is it’s a strange fact that we never saw Shogun forced into a fight with the all American but it’s probably because Shogun wasn’t old enough yet.
is there any old Brazilians we need to see Chris whoop?
otherwise he ain’t getting another win in the UFC.
His Brazilian Legend killer gimmick has made him a great heel.
and Uriah nearly amputated that heel.

Back