Chris Weidman's record is super weird

Rockhold, Romero and Mousasi he was looking good in there until the end for the most part (arguably winning, think he was officially on the cards). He beat Kelvin……..

After those fights though he looked shot in his last 3 like he should give it up.

Should also be noted that the guy dealt with an insane amount of injuries and setbacks. It’s likely a combo of things mentioned and things overlooked.

Crazy at one point people thought he could move up and be the guy to give Jon Jones issues.

Weidman is the greatest case of right time right place I've ever seen (and I like him as a general rule). I'm not saying he isn't skilled or undeserving. He had a moment and it was a really good moment.

edit- could be the massive weight cut and not being able to use IV to rehydrate.
I think this is what killed the careers of Weidman, Hendricks, and Barao. All guys had big weight cuts to make it down to the weight where they won gold but once they couldn't us IVs the weight cuts became either too draining if successful or just not possible. Some guys are too big for one division and too small for the next one.

In fairness Weidman hasn't struggled to make weight but he looks really deflated to me.

Chris was always overrated as fuck. Silva held the belt at 38 in the UFC while the chris will be lucky to get a win in the ufc at 38, let alone come close to winning the title. Shows how great Silva was.
Silva is so underrated when you consider that by the time he entered the UFC he was already 31 and 17-4 with wins over guys like Sakurai, Horn, and Newton.

When should he have stopped then?

He just wasn’t as good as he was touted to be, that was his problem. He best wins are all way past their prime fighters. Even his recent losses/stoppages are against older fighters. A very good but not a great fighter who caught silva at the right time
I agree it's hard to tell. However most who go on skids eventually retire, but those who really push it like Weidman/Penn/Marlon Moraes end up with "weird" records despite some good performances

Silva acted like a clown, that's why he lost, broke his leg in the second fight. Weidman then chased away old fighters, but it wasn't until he started fighting young fighters that we saw that he wasn't as good as we thought.

I've backed Weidman his whole career but the USADA timing is just too perfect to ignore. He just wasn't the same after they came in, coupled with the fact that his best wins were against legends on the back end of their careers. Seems like a good guy and he's still my boy but I don't think its some kind of big mystery.

Lost to whittaker
beat rockhold
robbed against Whittaker
robbed against costa
robbed against adesanya
who cares its bellator

facts straigtened
Darn right, OP said "in the UFC"!!§!

Also, Romero smoked Chris Barnett between his wins against Bobby & Paulo

<RomeroSalute>

it’s a respectable career full of big names. Usada implications or not, the guy fought a who’s who of the MW division. And yes, he should have stopped earlier. Coming back from that leg injury was certainly not a smart move and it seems he will not stop yet. I hate seeing this happen, but most of these guys just don’t know when to quit.

13-0 with three defenses in 2015.

An "early" retirement then would look and feel so much better than what is coming.

Like, his revenue from 2016--2023 from "Weidman's All-American Midwestern Gym with Wonderboy and Sometimes Serra" probably would have been huuge, and no broken leg?

Some guys just like to fight I guess.

Hopefully I'm wrong and teh Chris goes on a post-usada tear and challenges again.

Guessing-game hindsight is always best sight.

His record isn't weird, he fought top completion really early in his career and after he became champion his injuries and surgeries kept piling up and then the Rockhold beating badly cracked his chin and slowed his reflexes. It happens often when guys fight high level competition very early in their careers and/or have a bunch of bad injuries and take a career altering beating.

The rockhold fight was end of 2015. The very year usada came along. From there the wheels fell off. Make of that what you will

I can't stand this arguement, it's so lazy, especially when Weidman took a career altering beating and was having lots of injuries and surgeries.

Either USADA or Rockhold ruined Weidman. Seemed pretty durable before the Rockhold fight.

Back