Chris Byrd unretiring?

I remember that

He got a lot of criticism for fighting in the heavies when he could have fought at 168

And I don’t blame him one bit. He realized there wasn’t nearly as much money at Super Middleweight compared to Heavyweight and the success he did have there proved what a highly skilled boxer he was. As someone else said his mind seemed pretty intact not that long ago so it is sad if it’s starting to falter on him.

He seems WAY off and it's sad because he used to seem pretty lucid for for a boxer. He was in there with some killers, and his fights usually went several rounds.

I dont see it and have watched a talk with him last year. You have an interview? Dont misinterpret boxing damage with just character or other life choices. What I saw of Byrd was a person with no effects on speech or other classic symptoms of dementia pugilistica.

How would the rjj who beat ruiz go against prime heavyweight byrd. It's a shame rjj didn't stay at heavyweight for a couple more fights
Byrd-Toney was the one to make. Shame it never materialized.

At 3:15

Here's Byrd from 4 years ago

Here's Byrd now

Dude seems to be going through some things.

Here's Byrd from 4 years ago

Here's Byrd now

Wow, you said it - that’s a pretty dramatic contrast. Thanks for posting the videos to show the comparison, although makes me sad to see.

He seemed jumbled up and couldn’t follow his own train of thought in the second video. Hyper-rambling. Compared to the previous where he spoke slowly and articulate. Sad.

He is probably influenced by Mike tyson making a return. Remember when George foreman made his second comeback, other past prime retired fighters thought they could do the same, like ernie shavez

his body looks good, that's about the only thing I see, and boxing isn't a bodybuilding contest. Hopefully, someone can get in his ear about this. Boxers are about the nicest human beings you'll ever know and they end up being their own worst enemies.

his body looks good, that's about the only thing I see, and boxing isn't a bodybuilding contest. Hopefully, someone can get in his ear about this. Boxers are about the nicest human beings you'll ever know and they end up being their own worst enemies.

The last sentence...what makes you make this generalization lol. I would actually turn your statement on it’s head and say boxers commit many more crimes percentage wise than the human population as a whole.

The last sentence...what makes you make this generalization lol. I would actually turn your statement on it’s head and say boxers commit many more crimes percentage wise than the human population as a whole.
that's the stereotype for sure, and it has some truth to it. but boxers are usually pretty well known for being good to the public at the very least and many are just nice guys. compared to athletes of other sports, journalists will always tell you how much easier it is to talk to fighters. Trouble with the law, depending on what the offense consisted of, may not mean a whole lot. Crimes of economics? Well, ya, does it mean they are evil and vile? as judgemental as many people are, sure, not to me. Joe Frazier said he'd been a thief when he was young, you'll never convince me that Joe was just a bad man, Kenny Norton once mulled over pulling an armed robbery. Both nice guys. You're correct though, most of our heroes have some sort of rap sheet. I think Byrd is a good guy and the sport is full of them no matter how many steal shit, beat women or get caught with drugs.

I've listened to a few interviews of byrd and he still looks in shape and talks well. He would be stupid to fight again. As always to be a champion you need the attitude of "im the best, i can anything"

Sadly that attitude doesn't transition well for retired boxers. Just ask holyfield. He thought he could win a title at 45 years old.
He almost did against Valuev. It wasn’t much of a fight and neither guy did much, but Holyfield was not outclassed or really beaten. It was a decision loss, but some folks thought Evander did enough to win.

Is it a real comeback or some publicity stunt?
He was one of my favorite fighters but not sure if it would really be a good thing for him to box again.
He had such an incredible hand speed and accuracy it was phenomenal to watch him compile those long combos but his chin just never kept up with his balls

Wtf? he looks horrible his body looks so frail is he on a vegan diet now?

I was a huge Chris Byrd fan just because I loved watching undersized fighters go up against giants, dude was very talented he isn't a big dude but was able to handle the power of heavyweight giants, I remember when Ike had him drooling, I still can't believe he was able to not get knocked cold by that flush power shot. This is a guy who is naturally a 160 something pounder who only weighed around 203 to 212 when he fought at heavyweight.

Dang look at the weight difference, Chris had to really drink a lot of protein shakes, I remembrer when they showed him training he had to really eat because he burned a lot of calories just to be over 200 pounds
bafa5abf0a66cf42650f96d3958201a5.jpg

And I don’t blame him one bit. He realized there wasn’t nearly as much money at Super Middleweight compared to Heavyweight and the success he did have there proved what a highly skilled boxer he was. As someone else said his mind seemed pretty intact not that long ago so it is sad if it’s starting to falter on him.
Byrd could have been a huge star at super and light heavy, its a shame the only reason he went up is because they removed him last minute from a card early in his career and replaced his bout with a heavyweight bout so he said he will be a heavyweight and pigged out. The guy was barely in the low 200s when fighting these mass monsters too.

Byrds mind is not right but I think its because he went on some weird ass Vegan diet and is not getting nutrients to his brain and he started smoking weed daily causing him to be delusional, his beard is very white, his body looks frail like malnourished his muscles look like that of an 80 year old, he is def on some type of anti calorie or vegan diet or something he lost way too much muscle now at only 50 middle aged.

This was from 5 days ago

"Byrd made the switch to a vegan diet, and a particularly strict version of it. Byrd only eats plants, no sugar, no processed foods, no wheat.

But there’s one particular plant that Byrd says has made the biggest difference: Cannabis.

“Shannon Briggs, he's the one who got me smoking. He pushed me big time, because he saw all the pain that I was in,” said Byrd. “The first time I did it, I hit a bong with Shannon Briggs. I fell asleep at first, but I woke up and I had a lot less pain in my foot, and I was like, what is this?!”

Byrd uses both THC and CBD products daily, and not long after beginning to use them, noticed that he felt both healthy and happy enough to start running and exercising again. Soon enough, he was the lightest he’d been in 28 years."

In this video he tells his story of why he went to heavyweight but at the end he starts saying he paid the price his body is banged up said he had a hip replacement, and needs another hip replacement, both his shoulders are destroyed, and other injuries, a comeback is unlikely and you can see how frail he is when shadow boxing and al these injuries he had, he seems to be hallucinating. get that man a steak and chicken some nutrients.

It’s so sad to see fighters lose touch with reality.

He’s really ripped and in shape. Doesn’t mean jack in boxing, but he could’ve parlayed his fitness into something else that pays the bills. Hopefully he’s just clowning around.

Byrd could have been a huge star at super and light heavy, its a shame the only reason he went up is because they removed him last minute from a card early in his career and replaced his bout with a heavyweight bout so he said he will be a heavyweight and pigged out. The guy was barely in the low 200s when fighting these mass monsters too.

Byrds mind is not right but I think its because he went on some weird ass Vegan diet and is not getting nutrients to his brain and he started smoking weed daily causing him to be delusional, his beard is very white, his body looks frail like malnourished his muscles look like that of an 80 year old, he is def on some type of anti calorie or vegan diet or something he lost way too much muscle now at only 50 middle aged.

This was from 5 days ago

"Byrd made the switch to a vegan diet, and a particularly strict version of it. Byrd only eats plants, no sugar, no processed foods, no wheat.

But there’s one particular plant that Byrd says has made the biggest difference: Cannabis.

“Shannon Briggs, he's the one who got me smoking. He pushed me big time, because he saw all the pain that I was in,” said Byrd. “The first time I did it, I hit a bong with Shannon Briggs. I fell asleep at first, but I woke up and I had a lot less pain in my foot, and I was like, what is this?!”

Byrd uses both THC and CBD products daily, and not long after beginning to use them, noticed that he felt both healthy and happy enough to start running and exercising again. Soon enough, he was the lightest he’d been in 28 years."

In this video he tells his story of why he went to heavyweight but at the end he starts saying he paid the price his body is banged up said he had a hip replacement, and needs another hip replacement, both his shoulders are destroyed, and other injuries, a comeback is unlikely and you can see how frail he is when shadow boxing and al these injuries he had, he seems to be hallucinating. get that man a steak and chicken some nutrients.

The thing with vegan diets, is that eliminating all the junk you used to eat is very rewarding in some aspects for health, but it doesn’t turn back the clock. Some vegans I used to know considered their diet to be a miracle cure for everything.

There’s this one guy, (I won’t mention his name because he’s become moderately successful in the vegan/fitness industry) who felt that way. We were friends about 20 years ago. The dude was 6’4” and literally ripped like Bruce Lee. I was only 5’9” and a little overweight, but I went to the gym (weightlifting) regularly. I was just ordinary looking. He used to jog with small hand weights and did body weight/fitness exercises. He never bragged, but he was confident he was on the ultimate path. One day, we were kidding around in front of friends, play fighting. I’ll tell you, when I got my hands on him, I folded his body up like a cheap suit, easily lifted him over my head and pretended to break his back over my knee. Then I stood back up with him in my arms and released him in a standing position. I think he was as shocked as I was. He had no strength or athleticism whatsoever. I don’t know if that’s primarily from a vegan diet or what, but as ripped as he was, he seemed like he was drained of life.

The thing with vegan diets, is that eliminating all the junk you used to eat is very rewarding in some aspects for health, but it doesn’t turn back the clock. Some vegans I used to know considered their diet to be a miracle cure for everything.

There’s this one guy, (I won’t mention his name because he’s become moderately successful in the vegan/fitness industry) who felt that way. We were friends about 20 years ago. The dude was 6’4” and literally ripped like Bruce Lee. I was only 5’9” and a little overweight, but I went to the gym (weightlifting) regularly. I was just ordinary looking. He used to jog with small hand weights and did body weight/fitness exercises. He never bragged, but he was confident he was on the ultimate path. One day, we were kidding around in front of friends, play fighting. I’ll tell you, when I got my hands on him, I folded his body up like a cheap suit, easily lifted him over my head and pretended to break his back over my knee. Then I stood back up with him in my arms and released him in a standing position. I think he was as shocked as I was. He had no strength or athleticism whatsoever. I don’t know if that’s primarily from a vegan diet or what, but as ripped as he was, he seemed like he was drained of life.
Yeah, I tried a vegan diet for a few months and I lost so much weight and energy and my lips started cracking, and I was drinking water, but my lips would turn so dry and chapped. Turns out I was Vitamin B deficient and iron during that time

Also my blood pressure went up because of all the salt I had to add when cooking my food to make ti taste good

Id put seasoning on the beat burgers id make to make it taste like a burger, It was the worst. I started eating meat, salmon, eggs, chicken again and my chapped lips went away.

I dont think any promoter should let him boxing again, this guy is 160 pounds or 158 pounds he normally walks around at 180 when no longer stuffing himself to make heavyweight. The muscle wasting is not a good sign, I can guarantee you his punches probably don't have any power on them and he can barely even shadow box in that video.

Give the man some steak, salmon, eggs, chicken, I feel sad for him he actually thinks his body looks good when he has the body of an 80 year old man now look at all the muscle destroyed from lack of protein :(

Here is the video of him hitting the heavybag please someone tell him to eat a steak! look how dry his legs are and how thin, I think he probably weighs 155 here, sadly he looks like those crack heads on skidrow. Why is he doing this to his body, this doesn't look healthy at all.

Last edited:
He won't have the speed and defense attributes against young fast middleweights that he had against big slow heavyweights. This a terrible idea and will not end well for him. Great career about to be tarnished.

Back