Chinese MMA Thread: Redux

damn, i was most looking forward to liu pingyuan's debut. song yadong is a good replacement though.
I like Liu but I think Yadong has more potential. Not sure who he's training with now but he should win this.

Just finished up the UFC event.

Glad that the Chinese fighters I expected to do well all gave good performances (Yadong, Xiaonan, Guan, and Leech). Guan's debut was a long time coming and even though he was robbed of a 1st round finish, he showed that he can more than hang. Yadong has been one of my favorite Chinese prospects for a long time and he's showing some improvements. Kind of crazy that he's still only a teenager. Xiaonan is the only other female fighter I expected to be UFC ready outside of Weili Zhang, her side and hook kicks are money. I don't think I have ever seen her miss one.

Buren is extremely one dimensional but his style is the one that got me into Chinese MMA. They seem to be a lot more creative with their wrestling abilities and hit the big theatrical moves such as suplexes a lot more often. Kenan was a surprise. He's not a bad fighter by any means but I didn't expect a knockout with his first exchange. I don't expect him to rise much further than this but who knows.

Yanan Wu, Muslim Salikhov, and Yaozong Hu were the disappointments and underwhelming performances. Wu didn't really show anything that makes me think she will still be on the roster at the end of next year. Hu I had never heard of outside of stumbling on his profile so I didn't expect much but he's not going to be around long either. Salikhov can still go on a good run with fun knockouts but some holes in his game were shown.

Overall I would say it was a pretty successful night for Chinese MMA. They now have several Chinese fighters that can be on the main card there, with Leech being a main event level guy.

Last edited:

Glad that the Chinese fighters I expected to do well all gave good performances (Yadong, Xiaonan, Guan, and Leech). Guan's debut was a long time coming and even though he was robbed of a 1st round finish, he showed that he can more than hang. Yadong has been one of my favorite Chinese prospects for a long time and he's showing some improvements. Kind of crazy that he's still only a teenager. Xiaonan is the only other female fighter I expected to be UFC ready outside of Weili Zhang, her side and hook kicks are money. I don't think I have ever seen her miss one.

Buren is extremely one dimensional but his style is the one that got me into Chinese MMA. They seem to be a lot more creative with their wrestling abilities and hit the big theatrical moves such as suplexes a lot more often. Kenan was a surprise. He's not a bad fighter by any means but I didn't expect a knockout with his first exchange. I don't expect him to rise much further than this but who knows.

Yanan Wu, Muslim Salikhov, and Yaozong Hu were the disappointments and underwhelming performances. Wu didn't really show anything that makes me think she will still be on the roster at the end of next year. Hu I had never heard of outside of stumbling on his profile so I didn't expect much but he's not going to be around long either. Salikhov can still go on a good run with fun knockouts but some holes in his game were shown.

Overall I would say it was a pretty successful night for Chinese MMA. They now have several Chinese fighters that can be on the main card there, with Leech being a main event level guy.
yeah, i felt pretty much exactly the same way.

song yadong and the leech were probably standouts for me. yadong looked great, and as he's so young i think there's a nice future for him in the ufc. and li jingliang has come a long way and been surprisingly effective in the UFC. i'd like to see him against a top 15 guy next. even a relatively big step up i think would be good for him, win or lose.

i was surprised alex caceres got 29-28 from one judge and was worried wang would somehow lose that decision, but thankfully not. he looked great in spots, but also predictable. i'd really like to see him vary his attack more, and especially to not sort of lunge in with his head down throwing big, single, overhand shots. he's obviously a very talented striker, but i think you often see sanda guys revert to this kind of "sloppy" striking.

i was impressed by buren too. didn't get the win but i liked his style a lot, and saw yao honggang in his corner which didn't surprise me.

Nice write up. I thought it was a great card that showcased the Chinese talent.

I do hope they sign Weili Zhang in the not so distant future, though.

Before Jingliang Li signed to the UFC, did you ever think he would reach the level of success he has reached so far in the UFC?

Before Jingliang Li signed to the UFC, did you ever think he would reach the level of success he has reached so far in the UFC?
Not at all. I figured he would alternate wins and losses, not be a bad decision and last minute comeback away from a perfect record. Granted he's still fighting mid tier guys. It's also interesting how he's doing it, with his striking and knockouts when he was more of a grappler that had a strong guillotine in Legend FC.

Hopefully he can carry it on against top 15 guys.

Back