China's schoolchildren are now the smartest in the world

F1980

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've known all along this was gonna happen.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ducation-as-richest-economies-fail-to-improve

Chinese students far out-stripped peers in every other country in a survey of reading, math and science ability, underscoring a reserve of future economic strength and the struggle of advanced economies to keep up.

The OECD’s triennial study of 15-year-old students across the world found that the four Chinese provinces tested -- Beijing, Shanghai, Jiangsu and Zhejiang -- outperformed in science and mathematics, even if household income is well below members’ average. In reading, the 10% most disadvantaged Chinese students tested had better skills than the OECD average.

“The quality of their schools today will feed into the strength of their economies tomorrow,” OECD Secretary General Angel Gurria said.

i thought they always were.

the chinese kids i went to school with were always the smartest in the class.

We shouldn't be dumbing down our schools

I say full steam ahead for our smart kids

No geniuses left behind instead of no child left behind

You mean chinese children from the select regions that China handpicked.

Let them do the PISA testings in the rural regions of China to see whats actually going on.

Let them do the PISA testings in the rural regions of China to see whats actually going on.
This is the thing. We educate everyone and test everyone... not an even playing field numerically.

True, the US is one of the few developed countries who dont juke the stats when it comes to pisa testing.

Even Canada stays the hell away from native and poor districts

@Rod1 said what I was going to say.

China never tests their entire population so the results are pretty much meaningless. Not to mention that their education system doesn't even educate the entire population. By 15, if you're not academically gifted in China, you're probably not still in school. Why would I say that? Because after age 15, you have to pay a fee to continue getting an education. So there's no compelling reason for those without talent to continue in a system that will force them to pay for the privilege. I would bet good money that they have a significant dropout rate (not that we'd ever see the data).

China's education numbers, like so many things there, are smoke and mirrors.

So you think it's a coincidence that Chinese people in the US are also at the top of the education heap?

This is the US Math Olympiad team

math-olympiad-2019-900x600-min.jpg

British Math olympiad team

Maths-medal-winners-2016.jpg

So you think it's a coincidence that Chinese people in the US are also at the top of the education heap?

The ones at the top of the education heap are Indian-Americans, how did India fared on PISA?

I never said they would do bad, just that they skew their results a lot, also math isnt the only thing PISA tests, reading and science matter too.

First, do you know for a fact that all those Asian dudes are of Chinese descent?

Second, imagine how proud that ginger was to have measured up to Asian math standards. :)

Singapore is still the smartest followed by Japan and S Korea for all the reasons Pan said. China gets away with picking what schools to pick.

Our Asian immigrants are largely the best of what their native lands can produce. First, the parents have to be smart enough to get into U.S. colleges. Second, they have to be smart enough to land jobs that will sponsor their visas at the additional cost. It's a self-selecting process. I would put our 1st generation Asians up against pretty much any group in the world, including the countries their parents came from. And when you're talking about countries with 1 billion person populations, that's a lot of kids to select from.

Seriously, the "brain drain" is the best aspect of our immigration policy.

Back