• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chicago bakery loses 800 workers after immigration raid

I think even most libertarians agree with border controls and immigration laws.

Someone just posted a libertarian vid in this thread claiming the speaker was defending illegal immigration against the claim that it's bad for working-class citizens.

Indeed, but if you have a huge ass store with only one cashier where only a tiny amount of customers can buy after being in line for a long time, are people really suprised about shoplifting?

Concentrate your energies on fixing Meh-hee-ko, brah.

So does California has unemployment issues?
Yes. A full 1% higher unemployment rate and 1% lower labour force participation rate compared to the overall US baseline despite being an economic superpower.

And unemployment was a full 3% higher between 2010 and 2013, despite labour force participation rates being lower than US average.

Yes. A full 1% higher unemployment rate and 1% lower labour force participation rate compared to the overall US baseline despite being an economic superpower.

And unemployment was a full 3% higher between 2010 and 2013, despite labour force participation rates being lower than US average.

It says 4.8% thats full employment, Texas the other state swamping with illegals is at 3.9%.

I agree with you though low skill immigrants shouldnt be made permanent immigrants.

Dodge noted.

The "dodge" was you creating an analogy that didn't include the nation of Mexico as part of the "store". Fix your own, shitty store. Ours is collapsing fast enough, thank you.

The "dodge" was you creating an analogy that didn't include the nation of Mexico as part of the "store". Fix your own, shitty store. Ours is collapsing fast enough, thank you.

There are borders for a reason, what happens in the USA is the problem of the USA.

The nationality of illegals is irrelevant.

There are borders for a reason, what happens in the USA is the problem of the USA.

The nationality of illegals is irrelevant.

The only thing more offensive than an American citizen supporting illegal immigration from Mexico is a Mexican doing it.

The only thing more offensive than an American citizen supporting illegal immigration from Mexico is a Mexican doing it.

I dont support it.

The only thing more pathetic than an American bitching, is an American blaming foreigners for their own problems. But thats an American olympic sport so go ahead and continue.

Mexico isnt forcing you to hire Mexicans, and much less central Americans, Asians and all the other kind of illegals you guys like to complain about.

Neither is China forcing you to buy the shit they build.

I dont support it.

The only thing more pathetic than an American bitching, is an American blaming foreigners for their own problems. But thats an American olympic sport so go ahead and continue.

Mexico isnt forcing you to hire Mexicans, and much less central Americans, Asians and all the other kind of illegals you guys like to complain about.

Neither is China forcing you to buy the shit they build.

I do not represent my country. I represent a single citizen within my country.

And I don't know how your claim of opposition to illegal immigration is possibly reflected by your posts in this thread.

I do not represent my country. I represent a single citizen within my country.

And I don't know how your claim of opposition to illegal immigration is possibly reflected by your posts in this thread.

How come?

I support legal immigration and oppose illegal immigration.

The difference is unlike most of those that claim to support legal immigration yet want to impose hard quotas, more bureaucracy and limits on it, i actually think that the government should work with the private sector in that regard.

It's not a businesses fault the government failed to do its job and secure the border.

If the illegal immigrant has used identity theft or some form of document fraud, it can be very hard for small businesses to be able to detect such a thing. It can even be difficult for a large business to do so.

What would you like business owners to do in these kinds of instances? Send in Scooby and the team? Perhaps James Bond?

The punishment you wish to impose is based upon the false notion that an employer has perfect information at all times about every aspect of every applicant.

That's quite true in some cases, but when you lose 800 employees, it's pretty clear that hiring illegal immigrants is a core part of your business plan. There are a ton of similar businesses across the country I'm sure, God knows it would be rough if the Feds showed up at any construction site. I think fines are fine in this case, though I'd be against them if some Mom & Pop store got busted with a Columbian janitor.

I think its a bit more than that.

Minimun wage at a national level probably shouldn't be more than 9/hr owing to how different yhe economies of each state and even each county are.

People pushing for 15/hr nationally are just wrong.

But I do think cities/states need to look into finding an appropriate minimum wage for themselves.

Also, companies that pay shit and look for illegals (like this one) need to be buried.

But really I feel the onus is on these companies. They know what they need to do to survive. Either pay more within your company to meet your needs, innovate to become more efficient with less labor or die out. A company with a mega-contract from Mcdonalds has no reason to do this.

Its not about survival its about profit maximisation. Survival is a function of that.

Its not about survival its about profit maximisation. Survival is a function of that.

Sort of.

While it is about profit maximization, a company with a mega contract like this can and should find other ways to maximize profit without breaking the law.

If they can't then they need to find a way to survive with the profit they can turn. If thats not enough, close up shop and someone else will fond a way to make cheap bread for McDonalds, or McDonalds will have to figure it out themselves.

A company can survive without bleeding every cent out of an effort. There are companies, albeit rare, that choose to pay more or offer better benefits because at a cost to themselves because it fits their mission.

Perfect example is Chik-Fil-et. Politics aside here. They are closed on Sunday, one reason being that they want their employees to have family time. Clearly they'd make more money if the were open on Sunday, but that doesn't fit their mission.

Sort of.

While it is about profit maximization, a company with a mega contract like this can and should find other ways to maximize profit without breaking the law.

If they can't then they need to find a way to survive with the profit they can turn. If thats not enough, close up shop and someone else will fond a way to make cheap bread for McDonalds, or McDonalds will have to figure it out themselves.

A company can survive without bleeding every cent out of an effort. There are companies, albeit rare, that choose to pay more or offer better benefits because at a cost to themselves because it fits their mission.

Perfect example is Chik-Fil-et. Politics aside here. They are closed on Sunday, one reason being that they want their employees to have family time. Clearly they'd make more money if the were open on Sunday, but that doesn't fit their mission.

Preaching to the converted.

If a company can't afford to pay its workers it shouldn't exist unless it creates some other social good which outweighs its drain on society.

Back