• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Chicago bakery loses 800 workers after immigration raid

oh yea? how much?
It's hard to say, they are doing the work illegally so they aren't reporting how much below the minimum wage they are working for. But there are a number of studies saying that there are indeed many illegal immigrants working less than the minimum wage.

Also, they usually enter the low skill job market, which is already saturated in America. Therefore, you have more workers in a market with the same supply. That will naturally drive the price of a worker down. If the market equilibrium was already at minimum wage, then it follows that the price will have to lower below it for illegals to be employed in the first place.

It's hard to say, they are doing the work illegally so they aren't reporting how much below the minimum wage they are working for. But there are a number of studies saying that there are indeed many illegal immigrants working less than the minimum wage.

Also, they usually enter the low skill job market, which is already saturated in America. Therefore, you have more workers in a market with the same supply. That will naturally drive the price of a worker down. If the market equilibrium was already at minimum wage, then it follows that the price will have to lower below it for illegals to be employed in the first place.

Immigration is good. I never argued that immigration is bad, and this guy is correct in a lot of his assessment of legal immigration.

The problem is illegal immigration.

With legal immigration, you can look at a market, see that you are lacking workers in that, then import immigrants to fill those positions.

I.e., let's say we don't have enough doctors. The government will then look at all the immigrants that have applied to come to the US, and choose the doctors. That's great and adds to the country. The government has control as to which immigrants come in, can see that the immigrant is filling a job that would otherwise not be filled, etc.

With illegal immigration, you have generally unskilled workers coming to an already over-saturated unskilled market. The government then can't look at the markets that need immigrants, they have no control over who comes. So if a place in California already has all the workers that it needs, and a bunch of illegal immigrants come in, if the illegal immigrants get the job it's because they are willing to work for less than the others (otherwise, why would a company replace it's workers with illegals?).

The government has no control over who is coming in, what jobs they are filling, and whether or not they are oversaturing a market.

the business was Swiss based...

why not just set up in Mexico, hire them, and benefit from NAFTA....

I presume it's b/c McDonalds wan'ts 'American sourced products'

Immigration is good. I never argued that immigration is bad, and this guy is correct in a lot of his assessment of legal immigration.

With legal immigration, you can look at a market, see that you are lacking workers in that, then import immigrants to fill those positions.

I.e., let's say we don't have enough doctors. The government will then look at all the immigrants that have applied to come to the US, and choose the doctors. That's great and adds to the country. The government has control as to which immigrants come in, can see that the immigrant is filling a job that would otherwise not be filled, etc.

With illegal immigration, you have generally unskilled workers coming to an already over-saturated unskilled market. The government then can't look at the markets that need immigrants, they have no control over who comes. So if a place in California already has all the workers that it needs, and a bunch of illegal immigrants come in, if the illegal immigrants get the job it's because they are willing to work for less than the others (otherwise, why would a company replace it's workers with illegals?).

The government has no control over who is coming in, what jobs they are filling, and whether or not they are oversaturing a market.

Hes talking about ALL immigration, legal and illegal.

Hes talking about ALL immigration, legal and illegal.
Then he's wrong. He never mentions illegal immigrantion, so I assume he's only talking about legal immigration. I don't know why you would assume he would be talking otherwise.

Look at the points I make and try to combat them with basic economic knowledge.

Then he's wrong. He never mentions illegal immigrantion, so I assume he's only talking about legal immigration. I don't know why you would assume he would be talking otherwise.

Look at the points I make and try to combat them with basic economic knowledge.

Illegal immigration is a subset of immigration, he is talking about all immigration. I read what youre saying but how can I believe you when you said earlier "i dont know how much they get paid below minimum wage but I know they do!" You are just making shit up and believing it so its no point in arguing.

I'd be sad if they made my favorite bread.

wait, people are actually questioning if illegals get paid below minimum wage at times?

word?
so their assumption is the only reason employers do this is to avoid payroll taxes?

the more you know.gif

It's a good thing to break up these illegal actions but where does it say they were being paid under minimum wage?

The employees came from a staffing agency so I doubt the bakery willingly entered into a contract to pay less than minimum wage with this agency.

So what you're telling me is that there are so many people on welfare because of lack of education? I don't see your point here. Blacks have more access to scholarships than anyone & 41% of the black population is on welfare.

That's all beside the point because lack of education is no excuse to be on welfare. Have you heard of being a contruction worker, joining the military or doing any of the thousand other occupations that don't require a college degree. Believe it or not, there is such thing as working your way up to become successful.

I'm wondering if your whole point here is that if someone can't get a good job that requires an education, why should they get a job at all.

What I'm trying to explain to you, as simply as I can state it, is that, in a job market, those who will not or cannot compete for your job are doing you a favor by increasing your leverage with your employer in the determination of your wage or salary.

People are actually defending the company for employing illegal immigrants and undercutting wages, lmfao.

The 'Liberal Left' 2017, ladies and gentlemen.

Let's just say for example, 5% of the population committed a murder. Would it be wrong to throw 5% of the population in jail, because of the economic stress it would put on businesses?

Yes.

Or were you supportive of the plan to destroy Germany for good?

So does California has unemployment issues?

People are actually defending the company for employing illegal immigrants and undercutting wages, lmfao.

The 'Liberal Left' 2017, ladies and gentlemen.

Isn't it the wacky, free-market libertarians on the right who are pushing it hardest here?

Nice.

All those economically insecure working class whites of the rust belt can pack up, move to Chicago and bake bread for 8 bucks an hour.

This is MAGA as fuck.
800 jobs are 800 jobs

That's a small town. It's like revitalizing a small town.

Like shoplifting is a subset of paying through the check out line.

Indeed, but if you have a huge ass store with only one cashier where only a tiny amount of customers can buy after being in line for a long time, are people really suprised about shoplifting?

Isn't it the wacky, free-market libertarians on the right who are pushing it hardest here?

I think even most libertarians agree with border controls and immigration laws. Now so called liberals and leftists may claim (in theory at least) to object a total free-for-all in the employment market that allows big business to drive down wages and working conditions, while forever widening the gap between rich and poor. But when push comes to shove, ideology comes before reality and consequences for these people so they fervently, you could even say fanatically, support the biggest source for this - open borders, mass immigration and even illegal immigration.

What I'm trying to explain to you, as simply as I can state it, is that, in a job market, those who will not or cannot compete for your job are doing you a favor by increasing your leverage with your employer in the determination of your wage or salary.
Yes. That's completely irrelevant to my original point.

What you just explained is actually very relevant to the OP. The immigrant factory workers kept lower class workers out of a job because those illegals are willing to work for wages so low, no one else is willing to accept those wages. After all, illegals can work for lower wages being as they don't have to pay income tax. It's hard for the tax paying lower class to compete with illegals.

You see your argument goes both ways. Low wage immigrants are actually increasing the amount of welfare recipients, but they aren't paying taxes or employing anyone like the rich.

Last edited:
Back