Chances WMMA exists after Rousey?

He said, she is why he started a womens divsion. It would be promotional suicide to dissolve the W135 divsion after Rowdy retires. You cannot even imagine the media shit storm this would create.

Rousey brought alot of fans to MMA. Alot of them are women. The UFC is not going to turn around and shit on those fans just to appease all the Misogynists.

The division will still have fans long after Rowdy is gone.

Nobody will give a shit after Rousey leaves unless PVZ becomes champ

They would just replace them with the 176th ranked welterweight from Brazil who gets cut after two fights to make room for the 177th ranked welterweight from Brazil.

Still a better fighter than Rousey and every other female fighter on the roster

I'd still tune in for Joanna Champion and Cyborg

I think the 115lbers have a future. I think for WMMA thats the sweet spot between skill and looks quite frankly.

I don't understand why people believe no new stars will show up? Cyborg vs Gina was an exciting event and it had nothing to do with Rousey. There will be events like that indefinitely as long as there are female fighters.

Rousey brought alot of fans to MMA. The UFC is not going to turn around and shit on those fans just to appease all the Misogynists.

The division will still have fans long after Rowdy is gone.

exactly

Everyone said Women's Boxing was gonna be huge in the 90s with several high profile female boxers.

Guess what the stars retired and no one in the world gives a shit about who the champs are in female boxing.

Edit: sure some soccer moms still participate in the sport, but after Rousey no female champ will ever solo a PPV or headline over a male champ.

This. Ronda Rousey is Laila Ali, just in the age of social media.

Once the Ronda bubble bursts, it will be gone pretty quick. In a few years people will hardly remember that there ever were women fighting in the UFC. It will kinda be like looking at your high school photos. You look at your hair style and wonder "what was I thinking".

If anything they would add more wmma classes

i would prefer to watch a fight that lasts more than 30 seconds as would most people i suspect so i'm going to guess that wmma has a great chance of going further than ronda's career.
the real question to me is does ronda's movie career exist even 1 day after she retires from mma?

They would just replace them with the 176th ranked welterweight from Brazil who gets cut after two fights to make room for the 177th ranked welterweight from Brazil who took the fight on short notice because the 175th ranked welterweight from Brazil was popped for steroids.

welcome 2 brazil baby

I am going to say very slim unless PVZ somehow manages to become champ. It seems like the Rousey show, they don't seem to care for promoting any other female fighters besides PVZ. I don't know what Dana's stance is after Rousey loses, but he doesn't seem to give a shit for WMMA outside of Rousey, pretty sure he said the only reason WMMA is here is BECAUSE of Rousey.

I don't think that's accurate. They did an entire season of TUF with female fighters that didn't include Ronda or PVZ. Tate has co-main evented two Fox cards.

They already have an entire women's division that has nothing to do with Ronda. WMMA is here to stay.

There will be a new champion every other month like the men's HW division, at least in the WBW.

The first time I watched WMMA was the very first Smackgirl show. WMMA has come a long way since then. The number of fights, promotions and female fighters has steadily grown since then. These numbers increased steadily for 10 years before Rousey had her first pro bout. Now, with Rousey's influence on young female athletes out there, I think we'll see even more women entering MMA. I'd say the OP is dead wrong - completely backwards, 180 degrees askew and pointed in the wrong direction. WMMA will continue to grow (even faster now)...and new stars will be born after Rousey retires.

Jarl

No doubt. As long as there are chicks like PVZ and Karate Hottie.

I don't think it is going anywhere, though it will probably wax and wane in popularity like combat sports tend to do.

Joanna Jedrezhcyszyk is a great example of another female star. She has nowhere near the mainstream appeal of Rousey, but she is developing a hardcore following for sure.

Back