Cgi sucks

100% fucking agree!!

Awesome
d5a4f5e9b407f4ca16ae93046fb44952--orc-warrior-lord-of-the-rings.jpg
LordofTheRings-GEJ4N5.jpg

SHITTY!!!
latest

5Ml0W.jpg
That's because Peter Jackson realized the future of special effects revenue, and wanted to give his New Zealand outfit a kickstart. It's the same studio that made all the costumes and animatronics for LOTR: their digital wing (Wetaworks). They could have produced the same caliber of work for The Hobbit films, but they wouldn't advance or develop their CGI game. He also didn't have time to properly reset and plan the films after Del Toro took off:
The Hobbit movies were awful, and now we know why

CGI is a great tool when used properly but can be a crutch to film makers imo.

This may sound silly but I think some of the problem is the ability to create anything actually can hinder creativity.

Back in the day with practical effect they really had to think the shot out to make it work, lots of planning and brainstorming...not so much anymore. This lead to some amazing scenes/shots that probably wouldn't of happened with CGI.

CGI can be awesome , war for the planet of the apes was pretty fucking impressive effects wise.

Gun shot wounds get me the most.

Pre 2000 everyone used blood squibs and they looked fucking awesome

Now we have that CGI shit they use in John Wick etc, it's fucking lazy and looks shit
2bb7587eecf65ced9a28a59a7bda8b93.gif

Fuck that shit, squibs ftw
SoupyEvilIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted.gif
What is that bottom scene from

Noticeably bad cgi can take an audience out of a film. A good example of this is the 1982 film The Thing vs the 2011 film The Thing. While the practical effects of the 1982 film haven’t aged well they still look cool and at least I know I’m looking at something that’s actually there. The 2011 film saw the studio scrap the practical effects in favor of cgi and the result is some really bad looking effects.

1982 version

2011 version

Noticeably bad cgi can take an audience out of a film. A good example of this is the 1982 film The Thing vs the 2011 film The Thing. While the practical effects of the 1982 film haven’t aged well they still look cool and at least I know I’m looking at something that’s actually there. The 2011 film saw the studio scrap the practical effects in favor of cgi and the result is some really bad looking effects.

1982 version

2011 version

Bad effects take people out of the film. Whether it’s cgi or practical.

Terminator is arguably my favorite movie of all time. But the scene of Arnies head when he took his eye out looks terrible and completely pulls me out of the scene every time.

100% fucking agree!!

Awesome
d5a4f5e9b407f4ca16ae93046fb44952--orc-warrior-lord-of-the-rings.jpg
LordofTheRings-GEJ4N5.jpg

SHITTY!!!
latest

5Ml0W.jpg

I really disagree with this, I mean the Hobbit films overall aren't on the level of Lord of the Rings but I think making a character like Azog CGI was the correct choice. The other orcs you post are really just minor characters who never need to show much emotion. Jackson actually started off filming Azog as an actor(wasn't that why the original Mountain left GOT?) under makeup/protectsics but simply couldn't get the more compelx performance he needed so shifted to CGI.

CG should be used when something is impossible to do practically. Nowadays, it's so lazy and just a cheap and quick way to do an effect.

One of the most recent ones that stood out to me was Stranger Things. Granted it's a TV show and they have a smaller budget than a movie, it still bothered me that they used CG for the creatures. For a show that nailed the 80s so perfectly, to add CG just stood out. They tried to hide it the best they could but they really should have just made a suit and put a guy in it. It would have been infinitely better.

Do any other old timers remember that thread where a Sherdogger made a YouTube video commenting on how clumsily Hollywood was using green screen CGI?

His thesis was that CGI worked wonderfully when it was combined with real landscapes and backdrops. When everything was CGI it didn't work. It heavily featured the original MCU Hulk film, and also The Dark Knight films. Anyways, he was clearly onto something, and that YouTube video he made ultimately trended, globally. Apparently it became heavily discussed in the industry and influenced future films.

I can't find it atm.

Bad effects take people out of the film. Whether it’s cgi or practical.

Terminator is arguably my favorite movie of all time. But the scene of Arnies head when he took his eye out looks terrible and completely pulls me out of the scene every time.
That scene is horrendous. It’s like Arnold was replaced with an animatronic from the its a small world after all boat ride at Disneyland.

Gun shot wounds get me the most.

Pre 2000 everyone used blood squibs and they looked fucking awesome

Now we have that CGI shit they use in John Wick etc, it's fucking lazy and looks shit
2bb7587eecf65ced9a28a59a7bda8b93.gif

Fuck that shit, squibs ftw
SoupyEvilIndusriverdolphin-size_restricted.gif
I’m willing to look past it with Wick cause so much of that character is headshots.... how are you going to mount a squib on someone’s head?

Punisher did a good job in the blood dept

ehh Im looking forward to that movie after the trailer

I wonder how long it will be until 100% completely CGI movies start to become the norm. if CGI becomes "perfect" why pay an actor millions of dollars when they are limited in what they can do vs a CGI character that can do literally anything.

20 years? 50 years?

I'm trying to watch Star Wars Resistance on demand and the whole thing looks like computer generated animation. Looks way smoother than that old Spider-Man crude CG cartoon.

I just wish there was a Star Wars cartoon not intended for little kids. This is difficult to want to watch.

Do any other old timers remember that thread where a Sherdogger made a YouTube video commenting on how clumsily Hollywood was using green screen CGI?

His thesis was that CGI worked wonderfully when it was combined with real landscapes and backdrops. When everything was CGI it didn't work. It heavily featured the original MCU Hulk film, and also The Dark Knight films. Anyways, he was clearly onto something, and that YouTube video he made ultimately trended, globally. Apparently it became heavily discussed in the industry and influenced future films.

I can't find it atm.

I clicked on this thread with this video in mind. I don't recall if I saw this on my own or it was a Sherdog one you are talking about

I really disagree with this, I mean the Hobbit films overall aren't on the level of Lord of the Rings but I think making a character like Azog CGI was the correct choice. The other orcs you post are really just minor characters who never need to show much emotion. Jackson actually started off filming Azog as an actor(wasn't that why the original Mountain left GOT?) under makeup/protectsics but simply couldn't get the more compelx performance he needed so shifted to CGI.

I'm torn on this. On the surface I think there was a lot of issues when watching the Hobbit at home in 2D but watching it at 48fps in 3D IMAX was admittedly very cool. I bashed 48fps when it was first announce but changed my mind actually watching a good presentation of it(sitting dead center in a legit IMAX screen). It had it faults but overall it was actually pretty neat and I think the CGI worked much better than what we are seeing at home or analyzing on Youtube.

This sort is related to the debate on how GOT's Battle for Winterfell was filmed in a way that caused massive issues for people at home because of low video bitrates wrecks havoc on scenes at night and also most people do not have TVs that can display shadow detail when keeping black levels low. I guarantee you a UHD HDR version of that episode on a properly calibrated OLED would look astonishing but a fraction of people will end up seeing it(eventually).

Its difficult to show the directors true intent at mass scale.

I'm trying to watch Star Wars Resistance on demand and the whole thing looks like computer generated animation. Looks way smoother than that old Spider-Man crude CG cartoon.

I just wish there was a Star Wars cartoon not intended for little kids. This is difficult to want to watch.
Star Wars is for kids. At least, that was Lucas' intent.

I clicked on this thread with this video in mind. I don't recall if I saw this on my own or it was a Sherdog one you are talking about

That's isn't the exact one I'm thinking about, but it sounds like the same guy, and he's making similar points. The question of whether or not special effects were getting worse was a question asked. I specifically remember the scene from The Hulk with Jennifer Connelly in the helicopter was in the original video.

Back