Cgi sucks

You should merge the two and iron fist the witcher

Well all the others writers wrote it straight into the ground. So you can say it's already been merged.

Well all the others writers wrote it straight into the ground. So you can say it's already been merged.
Fking writers...
Couldn’t you have asked a good writer to save it, like, Ricky Gervais ?

I don't know why everyone hates this scene. I've always loved it. It looks so fucked up and in-human that it totally worked for me. He's a machine with fake skin after all. I just always thought it looked cool. Almost like a behind the scenes look at how he when he isn't hunting.

I mean look how stupid this looks and this was just few years ago. It looks like a video game. Give me a rubber/prop head over this any day. At least it's tangible.

qdMF2Md.jpg

I love the scene. Im just saying the actual effects are awful. You cant use "Oh, hes a machine and his skin is fake." Cmon, man. You know thats a cop out. Terminators are supposed to fool you. Not look like an obvious fake.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That looks fucking terrible. I mean, theres no shame in it. The movie is a classic. And this is Cameron, one of the best directors of all time, and it still looks like shit. We arent even talking about practical effects from mid and low budget fair.

Practical effects have have a certain weight and presence that CGI lacks. Whereas CGI has fidelity and control, but the look can vary widely.

Im using this gif not to compare to Terminator, which isnt fair given the age disparity. What Im saying is that CGI at its peak and done correctly absolutely shits all over practical.

O6vfMY.gif

Last edited:
The Planet of the Apes movies had amazing CGI. I agree that a lot of it sucks but occasionally you get a movie where it's done right.

What I love about CGI is bringing the larger than life characters to life, like Transformers, Pacific Rim, etc....

In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever been more fucking pumped in a movie when this bad boy made his appearance...

tenor.gif

My whole childhood came to life....

I mean, this is what we had when I was a kid.

Kraken.gif

Which I did love then....

Lou Ferrigno in green paint >>>>>> CGI Hulk in those godawful Marvel movies Hollywood keeps churning out.

What I love about CGI is bringing the larger than life characters to life, like Transformers, Pacific Rim, etc....

In fact, I don’t think I’ve ever been more fucking pumped in a movie when this bad boy made his appearance...

tenor.gif

My whole childhood came to life....

I mean, this is what we had when I was a kid.

Kraken.gif

Which I did love then....

Yeah, scale is also a huge factor. With CGI, there isnt any. Practical is very, very limited.

When I worked on Iron Fist I didn't come across this. Now that I'm working on The Witcher, I have to agree with OP.

are you saying witcher is going to suck?

goddammit

Noticeably bad cgi can take an audience out of a film. A good example of this is the 1982 film The Thing vs the 2011 film The Thing. While the practical effects of the 1982 film haven’t aged well they still look cool and at least I know I’m looking at something that’s actually there. The 2011 film saw the studio scrap the practical effects in favor of cgi and the result is some really bad looking effects.

1982 version

2011 version

I disagree with one assertion, I think the Thing's effects still hold up well today. Especially given the very short amount of time Bottin's team had to make them and the budget compared to movies today (even given inflation).

When I worked on Iron Fist I didn't come across this. Now that I'm working on The Witcher, I have to agree with OP.

Does this mean we should reign in expectations for Witcher?

Star Wars is for kids. At least, that was Lucas' intent.

Well I mean Lucas took all the genres he was influenced by as a kid, from adventure serials, 40's and 50's space adventures and giant monster movies, samurai movies, swords and sorcery fantasy stories, etc. and rolled them all into one. That's part of why the subsequent movies have failed from Lucas' prequels not drawing from the same sources to the sequel trilogy just drawing from Star Wars itself and not what influenced its' creative team as children.

I love the scene. Im just saying the actual effects are awful. You cant use "Oh, hes a machine and his skin is fake." Cmon, man. You know thats a cop out. Terminators are supposed to fool you. Not look like an obvious fake.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

That looks fucking terrible. I mean, theres no shame in it. The movie is a classic. And this is Cameron, one of the best directors of all time, and it still looks like shit. We arent even talking about practical effects from mid and low budget fair.

Practical effects have have a certain weight and presence that CGI lacks. Whereas CGI has fidelity and control, but the look can vary widely.

Im using this gif not to compare to Terminator, which isnt fair given the age disparity. What Im saying is that CGI at its peak and done correctly absolutely shits all over practical.

O6vfMY.gif

I think what I like is that the Terminator is battle damaged so he looks-off. It looks creepy to me. As for the Kong example, yeah. That looks good. CG can be good when you are trying to do something that can't be done in real life. It's all about giving it weight, physics and not making the movements exagarrated. That's when it looks bad.

As for your comment of
What Im saying is that CGI at its peak and done correctly absolutely shits all over practical.

RbgYhzI.gif

I think what I like is that the Terminator is battle damaged so he looks-off. It looks creepy to me. As for the Kong example, yeah. That looks good. CG can be good when you are trying to do something that can't be done in real life. It's all about giving it weight, physics and not making the movements exagarrated. That's when it looks bad.

As for your comment of

RbgYhzI.gif

It looks better than "good". Its nothing short of amazing. Easily some of the top special effects ever produced and no practical effect comes close to accomplishing what that movie did and never will.

Kong1.gif

Kong2.gif

Theres a really cool article about the special effects in thne movie:

https://www.digitaltrends.com/movies/kong-skull-island-visual-effects-interview/

Back