Cerrone's corner's reaction to his loss

Vegas had Conor as a 3 to 1 favourite going into the fight.

Honestly, I don't know how anyone could be surprised by this outcome. I get that Cerrone's corner would be upset, but there's been a lot of hand wringing and bickering on the boards. Cowboy has had a great career and is a skilled fighter. But he's rarely risen to the moment in his biggest fights, and he's in decline. McGregor isn't GOAT as many like to claim, but he's obviously very good and is a dangerous opponent. It's a quality win, but he was always the favorite and, as far as his legacy goes, this fight doesn't really affect it a whole lot.

I agree with everything except it being a quality win for Conor.

Cerrone’s performance sucked and I’m not giving credit to Conor for making it look easy, Cowboy was weak that night, weak during the presser, weak in the buildup, he was not game and thus not worthy of helping another man’s record since rolling over him is no big feat, at least, the version that Conor faced

For a blue-collar “Cowboy”, it was surprising to see him lick Conor’s sack all throughout the build up.

I prefer this one.

wEQwXyG.png
That must be Rousey/Holm.

Exceptional photo. This photo captures surprise on 4/4 faces.

Only thing I disagree with is the Legacy comment.

It actually adds quite nicely to his legacy.

Came back after a long time off to take on a man with more wins and finishes than any other fighter. And destroyed him in 40 seconds.

That's how it will read 20 years from now.

Nah. History looks at records and context. This was the third loss in Cerrone's growing streak. Unless Cowboy suddenly turns it around at 37 and goes on a 3- or 4-fight winning streak, this will read in 20 years much as it does now: he was Conor's welcome mat; the gentlest possible return to the sport, that could still be sold as "credible" on name value.

In a 13-year career, half of all his losses and 5 of the 7 times he's been KOed all occurred in the past 2 years. Even looking back, people'd have to be blind not to see that Cowboy is far from his top form.

I was jumping with excitement, ran through to show my wife and daughter neither of whom enjoy MMA, then I made them watch the slow motion replay, they're now both Conor nuthuggers.

I see three words clearly, i can't make out the rest or they are repeated.

Whatever you say, buddy.

Everybody saw this coming, outside of Cowboy Cerrone himself apparently.

The first minute or two were going to be the most dangerous for him, with Conor being fresh and looking to impress in his comeback. Cerrone went in face first, no head movement, didn't try to stay away from Conor, didn't go for a takedown, adopted no defensive measures whatsoever. Did nothing outside of getting beat up and finished inside 40 seconds.

You can excuse all that by "it's fighting, anything can happen", but in this case, pretty much everybody could've predicted what was going to happen. I called this the moment the fight was signed, as just a showcase match where Conor gets a quick, easy finish.

Cerrone, as a professional fighter, should've done everything in his power, to prevent that from happening. As far as I saw, he didn't really do a damn thing in there to prevent the obvious, and based on the reactions of his corner, they probably thought the same thing.

Surely, their entire training camp should've probably revolved around how to survive the early storm.
if everyone saw this coming the odds would have been alot more skewed.

aldo lost quicker and more devastatingly. he should have done everything in his power to prevent that from happening.

in terms of surviving the early storm, surely they wouldn't have thought a clinch in the center of the cage was a dangerous place to be. actually a relatively safe place to survive an early storm. turns out it wasn't.

Cerrone never had a chance. When has he ever shown heart in a fight when there was truly something on the line? He always folds under pressure. Probably his biggest win was bendo?
he dominated the #4 fighter 8 months ago in a headline fight.

This is the face of a team who had been sold wolf tickets by the fighter that they're representing.

They probably thought that Cerrone was going to go out there with a real gameplan and try to win, instead of just cashing the check.

Imagine putting in work with a guy for months, training him to peak condition, only to see them fold in about 30 seconds? What a waste of effort.

Couldn't possibly be the fact that MCGREGOR BROKE CERRONE'S ORBITAL BONE, NOSE, AND THEN HEADKICKED HIM, DROPPED HIM WITH PUNCHES, AND FINISHED HIM ON THE GROUND RIGHT????

Nicolas-Cage.jpg

if everyone saw this coming the odds would have been alot more skewed.

aldo lost quicker and more devastatingly. he should have done everything in his power to prevent that from happening.

in terms of surviving the early storm, surely they wouldn't have thought a clinch in the center of the cage was a dangerous place to be. actually a relatively safe place to survive an early storm. turns out it wasn't.

Aldo had bad intentions, landed & even cut McGregor in the fights only exchange.

A man who was unconscious in 13 seconds put up more resistance than Cerrone did. The Cerrone fight stunk to high heavens. If there was no back room funny business Cerrone should be done with fighting. That was the worst showing I've ever seen & he's had a few.
I don't mind to point out the sharade of McGregor but the Aldo fight was his best & the one that made him.

Aldo had bad intentions, landed & even cut McGregor in the fights only exchange.

A man who was unconscious in 13 seconds put up more resistance than Cerrone did. The Cerrone fight stunk to high heavens. If there was no back room funny business Cerrone should be done with fighting. That was the worst showing I've ever seen & he's had a few.
I don't mind to point out the sharade of McGregor but the Aldo fight was his best & the one that made him.
aldo literally got knocked out on the first exchange. cerrone avoided a strike and got into a clinch where he didn't feel at risk. he was. did he fuck up? yes. did it show he sucks? no, he just got hurt in an unexpected position and didn't react well. conor deserves credit for creating the opportunities. lol at back room funny business.

cowboy had one bad showing in his past 8 fights against a very dangerous and top ranked opponent, before conor.

Easy to say in hindsight isn't it but if Cerrone knocked him out there would be plenty of people saying the opposite should have seen this coming etc
Maybe. I personally would have considered it to be quite an upset.

The should’ve trained Cerrone’s granny for that fight.She would’ve done a better job

Back