Opinion CBC releases list of "Words you should stop using because it may offend someone"

Somebody must have bought a kilo of gypsum thinking it was coke and people being gypped became a new word. <mma4>

It's like using "jewed" to refer to someone getting ripped off. Not a lot of Romani folks around to actually be hurt by it, but it is kind of fucked up. But anyway, a normal person is going to react to being told they might be inadvertently saying shit that is upsetting to some people with either, "oh shit, sorry," or "ehhh, I think that's a stretch." This whole "fuck you!" or "what's next, you're gonna throw me in the gulag?" reaction is a sign of how morally degraded some people are.

Last edited:
Having manners and being considerate is a disease? Did you think that was a new Biden mandate?
No, coming up with new words and phrases every month that offend one or two people who were raised by Tumblr and writing a news story about how in order to be a decent person you must abide by not using said words/phrases anymore is a disease. Racist slang? Sure. Other clearly obvious harsh insults? Sure. Lame, brainstorm, blind spot, blacklist? If I use those I don't have manners because it may offend .00000000000001% of the global population?

That's a cool story.

The people comfortable with political correctness and its concomitant speech codes and ostracization are the ones comfortable that their tribe will define what may or may not be said. Political correctness has an unmistakable tribal characteristic, in that those unwilling to use such silly terms as Latinx or what have you are are instantly demarcated as outsiders. This is a feature, and not a bug.

So glad you're posting here more. I take complete credit since dropping your name in the WR Awards.

I think political correctness can be taken to extremes, as everyone's opinion is different. There doesn't appear to be any limit on the perceived offensiveness of a word or phrase. The idea behind it seems to have good intentions. Calling mentally challenged people "retards", is not politically correct. Calling a transgender person a "shemale" is as well. These are terms that are deemed offensive, and fair enough.

But how far do we go with that? Saying you'll "turn a blind-eye" to something may offend a blind person. I don't think it should, but I'm not blind so I don't get to say what they should and shouldn't find offensive. However, my intentions are not to be derogative of blind people and the term itself is pretty innocent. Is it just the word "blind" itself? Can I no longer say I was "blinded" by a flash of light? Should window blinds be renamed? There's no line, so it just becomes insanity eventually.

I think removing terms or phrases that hurt people from every day usage is a noble thing. But there comes a point, as in the OP's post, where it gets ridiculous.

No, coming up with new words and phrases every month that offend one or two people who were raised by Tumblr and writing a news story about how in order to be a decent person you must abide by not using said words/phrases anymore is a disease. Racist slang? Sure. Other clearly obvious harsh insults? Sure. Lame, brainstorm, blind spot, blacklist? If I use those I don't have manners because it may offend .00000000000001% of the global population?

That's a cool story.
Maybe you didn't learn anything at all from the article but some of us weren't aware of the origin of all these words. Maybe you learned something like I did or you can wave it all away and use muh freedom to speak how you like no matter who you offend.

Having manners and being considerate is a disease? Did you think that was a new Biden mandate?
Words are subjective. Most people, MOST people don’t find those words offensive.
It’s just liberal censorship that continues to get more crazy.

But hey, what do you expect from the whackos that think their are 57 genders.

Um, OK. You don't deny it, but you just don't like anyone to say it. Cool.
well if someone says the sky is orange i don't think it's worthwhile to "deny" it.
it's just dumb. just like your point.

Maybe you didn't learn anything at all from the article but some of us weren't aware of the origin of all these words. Maybe you learned something like I did or you can wave it all away and use muh freedom to speak how you like no matter who you offend.
No because I understand what intent is. I'm not speaking ill of people with cognitive disabilities when I say brainstorm. When I say that word the sole intent is for a group of people, any people, to put their thoughts and opinions together collectively in order to come up with the best possible idea or solution on an issue. If others take it as something else that is entirely on them and their upbringing, it has nothing to do with me.

I don't need a bad TV channel to tell me how to act. My parents and sisters gave me good valours. I agree some words can hurt people and it's good to question yourself, but we've entered The boy who cried wolf territory a while back and self-righteous people do more bad than good.

I don't need a bad TV channel to tell me how to act. My parents and sisters gave me good valours. I agree some words can hurt people and it's good to question yourself, but we've entered The boy who cried wolf territory a while back and self-righteous people do more bad than good.

IMO, raging assholes are a much bigger problem than excessively polite folks. No offense.

well if someone says the sky is orange i don't think it's worthwhile to "deny" it.
it's just dumb. just like your point.

I see.

This is even sillier than piece cited in the OP. A piece in the CBC saying, basically, "hey, guys, you might be offending people unwittingly and you might want to watch it," is not "authoritarian" by any sane definition. It's also comical that people who are supportive of actual authoritarianism (like attempting to overthrow democracy) are screeching about something like this.

Generally crazy thread. Rightists are reacting to a polite request for civility like vampires react to garlic. Sad what has become of the movement. They (understandably) take "hey, let's be nicer to each other, OK?" as an attack.
Vampire is very offensive to people with porphyria you asshole

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicenhot
Back